My husband's interview at U.S Embassy in London was cancelled. Risks of applying from Pakistan as a Third Country National?-L1A VISA

Sara_Ali

My husband lives and works in the U.K. He is a British resident with a dual nationality (British and Pakistani). I live and work in the U.S and I also am a dual national (American and Pakistani). He recently received an employment offer from his firm in the U.K to come join in the U.S. He had an appointment at the U.S Embassy in London to request an L1A visa, and the appointment was cancelled without further notice. The next available appointment is sometime in 2022. We are currently in a long distance marriage and it's incredibly difficult. He has found an appointment date in the U.S Embassy in Pakistan to apply for the same L1A visa that'll allow him to transfer from the U.K to the U.S. I believe this will be considered a Third Country National appointment? There is some confusion on that as well since he is a Pakistani National with a valid Pakistani NICOP. We have been told it's riskier as it may seem that we are "Consulate shopping". He has a valid offer letter from his firm with a start date, and has never been interviewed at any Consulate for an L1A visa. The chances of his visa getting rejected in London were minimal.

What are the risk factors to consider for this interview at an Embassy in a second country where he's a national? If he is denied the L1A in Pakistan, can he still visit the U.S on his ESTA?

Last edited:
If he has Pakistani nationality why would he be considered a third country national in Pakistan?

Btw consulate shopping usually refers to being denied or perceived high chance of being denied somewhere and therefore looking for another country where you hope the embassy will be more lenient. This is not the case here from what you’ve described.

If he has Pakistani nationality why would he be considered a third country national in Pakistan?
That's exactly where my confusion lies. He's a Pakistani national, but apparently it could still be considered as a Third country national appointment? He travels between the two countries quite often, so we're not sure how to answer the question around where his strongest ties are since they say you should pick an embassy location where you have the strongest ties.

Btw consulate shopping usually refers to being denied or perceived high chance of being denied somewhere and therefore looking for another country where you hope the embassy will be more lenient. This is not the case here from what you’ve described.
@consulateshopping response: That makes so much more sense! Thank you!