• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

We applied for h4 extension. USCIS requires biometrics now for that (since 2 or 3 years ago). They did bio in the same ASC (Revere MA). Sorry for the confusion. I shouldn’t have called it visa. It is the status extension to be precise. Of course we are all in the US now.
p.s. I wonder if they will cancel their appointments later. We will see.

Yeah, that’s what I thought but wanted to clarify. Thanks.

Just an FYI for any Los Angeles applicants, I have a bio appt scheduled for 8/3 and an interview scheduled for 8/20. I didn't put in any expedition/service requests etc or anything, just waited patiently. The details are all in the spreadsheet. Hopefully you all get yours soon.
Thank you for the update! May I ask you if you got the notices in the mail or text or email? Did the bio and interview letters come at the same time? Thanks and congrats!

Hello everyone!

Today my wife and I had our interview at the Seattle FO. As I mentioned before we waited for the interview appointment since December 2019.
We arrived 15 minutes before the appointment. I noticed that there were very few people in the office, but the waiting area was pretty big. We waited for about 30 minutes before my number was called out. The officer was very nice. He asked for our ids and went through all fields in I-485. He cross-examined our dates of birth and marriage anniversary. He asked questions about our wedding and asked for some evidence that we still lived together. We showed our joint tax returns (we did not have transcripts) and a bank statement, but he asked if we had a lease agreement or documents showing shared health benefits (my wife does not work) which we did not have with us. He said it should be fine. We signed I-485 and he said that we should hear the from USCIS within a week. A few hours later we checked our status and it said "New Card is being produced".

It was quite a journey! I wish everyone good luck! I feel very grateful that there are this forum and people willing to help others for free! People like you make this country great!

Last edited:
@Sm1smom I had my interview today (San Francisco FO). I updated my timeline on the spreadsheet. My interviewer did not ask me to sign I-944 but I signed I-485. Is that going to be a problem? Should I call and ask for a service request? Thanks!

Dawton, I believe it's not an issue. Neither my wife nor I signed it and we have the status "New Card is being produced".
This form is new(Feb this year) and it's hard to tell if it's required to sign it and there will be any issues in the future (we don't have any examples yet. Only a few people had an interview with this form in DV category)

Another update on my second day calling USCIS. So first I spoke to Tier 1 and she told me that she cannot make a service request because I do not follow under any of the e-request categories and she was very certain about it. So then I asked if she can transfer me to a Tier 2 officer and I waited for a call back around 40min and the sweetest and kindest TIER 2 lady called me. She was very aware of the DV process and responded to me immediately that she will create a service request explaining that DV Lottery cases must be adjudicated by the end of the FY. At the same time, she mentioned that my case was at the Los Angeles FO (which I already knew), and said that my FO is aware of those deadlines and that DV cases move very quickly and that I should be expecting an interview notice soon (hopefully she is right)!
Obviously getting the right person on the phone is a gambling game with USCIS, but as others have mentioned, it takes a couple of calls and preferably to speak with a Tier 2 rep in order to seek answers and help.
Also spoke to tier 2 USCIS rep today; also LA FO; similar experience. The rep told me very reassuringly that they were aware of the DV cutoff; that he could see that they were definitely working on my case, and that soon after receiving my I-485, their system had automatically requested a biometrics appointment, but that it would be part of a queue, which would start being scheduled when my local ASC would be open, on the 27th. He also advised that I could send the ASC a letter, explaining the DV situation, to request to get a quicker bio appointment, which I might do. I had called the KCC earlier in the day, and they had confirmed that my FO hadn't yet requested my file from them, and that I should try and pass this info to the FO, which I advised the tier 2 USCIS rep, and he made a service request for me.
Could you let me know if you’re able to find out anything about the expedite request? Thanks!
I asked the tier 2 rep about the expedite request, and he advised that they reply to them within 5 working days, but a decision on an expedite request is dependent on the person whose desk it lands on, and has no fixed time frame. He also iterated that FOs are aware they need to prioritize DV cases.

As someone mentioned earlier- for anyone trying to get a hold of tier 2 reps, call as early as possible, in the morning. The line opens 8am Eastern Time, but sometimes they stop taking calls as early as 11am ET. The process *based on my experience* is:
  1. Call USCIS general line (+1 800-375-5283).
  2. There will be an automated voice.
    1. If it is a male voice, it will ask you to select number prompts (I think 1122 got me through to live assistance, last time).
    2. If it s a female voice, it will ask you to verbally state the reason you are calling (just say "speak to an agent", and repeat, if she asks again, and she'll put you through).
  3. You will likely be on hold for a while (I've waited 9-45+ minutes, depending on the time I've called- the earlier in the day, the better!).
  4. A tier 1 representative will answer the phone. Let them know you were advised to call back for a tier 2 rep, and if they ask why, explain your case to them. If the tier 2 line is still open, they will transfer you through, after giving you a service item number, and the phone number to expect a call from (I got +1 202 838 2200).
  5. The line will likely be answered by an automated voice, to organize a call back. Confirm your call back details, and it will advise the estimated time for a call back (the estimate I got, was 3.5 hours, today, but the callback took almost 5.5 hours)
  6. You will receive a call back from the number you were provided by the tier 1 representative, and it will likely be an automated voice, asking if you would like to speak to a representative now, or get another call back, in 10 minutes. If you elect to speak to an agent now, then you will likely be on hold again, for a few minutes, and then a live tier 2 agent will join you.
  7. Ask them as many questions as your heart desires- you've earned it :p

@Sm1smom I had my interview today (San Francisco FO). I updated my timeline on the spreadsheet. My interviewer did not ask me to sign I-944 but I signed I-485. Is that going to be a problem? Should I call and ask for a service request? Thanks!

The IO most likely forgot considering this is a new form. There’s nothing to be done on your part regarding this. If they later on realize this, they may ask you to return and sign the form.

Dawton, I believe it's not an issue. Neither my wife nor I signed it and we have the status "New Card is being produced".
This form is new(Feb this year) and it's hard to tell if it's required to sign it and there will be any issues in the future (we don't have any examples yet. Only a few people had an interview with this form in DV category)

The form is required to be signed at the end of the interview. The IO is also required to sign it indicating they’ve reviewed it but it looks like they forgot to do so.

Hey guys!

I had my interview on July 22 in Santa Ana FO. It was scheduled at 10:30 am, I arrived at 10:15 am, but the people working at the door only let me in at 11:15 am even though the officer interviewing me wasn't aware that I arrived and he thought I was late, but I explained the situation and he told me they didn't even tell him that there was a person for the interview at the door. But then it went super fast, I wasn't even asked to show any documents, the officer just confirmed my name, dob, address and parents' names & we went through the question on I-485 form. The officer was really nice, it took place in his office, not at a regular window how it usually is with the non-immigrant visas.

The results were exactly the same as was described in post #4628 by @StressedAOSApplicant , I think we had the same officer interviewing us, since he's the only one in charge of the DV cases in our FO. Basically I was told that he's sending the recommendation for the approval to KCC, and they'll notify me when they make a final decision, he didn't give me the time line but he said he'll keep track on it so that it's done before 09/30/2020. After I left the building I got a notification "Interview was completed and my case should be reviewed." So now I need to patiently wait for the decision notification.

I just updated the timeline, my case was current in February.

Your minor kid’s photo and thumb print still needs to be taken for the GC, so getting a bio notice for a minor is normal. Nothing unusual about it. I’m sure your spouse’s and the other kids notice will show up also soon.
Ok, thank you, I will wait then :)

Hi everyone, good news and a bit confusing one as well. I called USCIS this morning and got through to a second tier officer. Even before I was given service number for the call-back the first level officer informed me that a bio-metrics schedule letter was sent to my address on 22nd July. So, haven't the received the hardcopy-letter yet.

Same experience stated above by @AoShole.

Anyway, after a 30 minute wait I received a call from a second tier officer. He said that I have a bio-metrics scheduled for 3rd August at Hartford, CT ASC. Even though my FO is at Lawrence but ASC is designated based on proximity of ASC location to my address.

I asked that I have a derivative, my wife and if she was scheduled at the same time with me. The agent first verified her identity and received her permission over phone to pass the information to me. He informed that she was not scheduled with me but is in the que for a bio-metrics appointment. I asked if he can check the que and provide an estimate and he said he can only see that she in que but nothing more.

I guess good news but at the same time concerned why my wife is not scheduled concurrently! Our case is dependent on each other as my country of chargeability is based on her while I am the selectee.

Q1:Any selectee(s) here faced this situation of multiple bio-metrics for same group of family members?

Hi there!
For the biometrics what kind of documents did you take with you?
My letter says photo id and the appointment notice. No need to carry all the other documents I included in the AOS package, right?
Or should I take them with me just in case?

Hi guys,

I just received an email from the field officer I spoke yesterday. She rescheduled my bio for August 10 (inicially it was July 27) She apologized and said that due to COVID they have stricter rules and so on... I was so excited yesterday but now I'm sad And the pandemic is worsening... :(

Just to clarify, the birth certificate you provided was only the English translation from your consulate, correct?
You didn't provide the Japanese version, did I understand that right?
Yes, it was issued as "Birth Certificate" by consulate, which was not accepted by USCIS!!
What they need are original Japanese version by government and its exact translation.

Quick update from me, might be useful to someone:
I tried to do a walk-in at my ASC today. I brought my IL and tried explaining that I have interview in a week, but the officer told me that due to the circumstances of both pandemic and being closed for 90 days, they can't accommodate anyone without an actual letter for biometrics.
I assumed it was gonna be like this, but just wanted to give it a shot anyways :)

Hi everyone, good news and a bit confusing one as well. I called USCIS this morning and got through to a second tier officer. Even before I was given service number for the call-back the first level officer informed me that a bio-metrics schedule letter was sent to my address on 22nd July. So, haven't the received the hardcopy-letter yet.

Same experience stated above by @AoShole.

Anyway, after a 30 minute wait I received a call from a second tier officer. He said that I have a bio-metrics scheduled for 3rd August at Hartford, CT ASC. Even though my FO is at Lawrence but ASC is designated based on proximity of ASC location to my address.

I asked that I have a derivative, my wife and if she was scheduled at the same time with me. The agent first verified her identity and received her permission over phone to pass the information to me. He informed that she was not scheduled with me but is in the que for a bio-metrics appointment. I asked if he can check the que and provide an estimate and he said he can only see that she in que but nothing more.

I guess good news but at the same time concerned why my wife is not scheduled concurrently! Our case is dependent on each other as my country of chargeability is based on her while I am the selectee.

Q1:Any selectee(s) here faced this situation of multiple bio-metrics for same group of family members?

So, it looks like I might have this kind of situation, because I got yesterday 2 bio letters (for myself, I am the main applicant and my 4yo son). Nothing came for my spouse and my daughter, however tier 1 said today that letters were sent to them as well. I don't know the bio date for them, but ours is Aug 3, 2020. When I get them, I will update you. They could probably split us like - 1 adult + 1 minor, IDK.

Last edited: