N-400 Filing along with dependent under 18

Hi There,
Thank you for providing us the information and support whenever is needed.
I have 3 questions to ask before I submit my N-400 Naturalization application. I got my GC through Asylum and my 5 years will be completed on May 16, 2021.
1. Am I allowed to submit the application before 3 months? If yes, until which date I have to wait to file the application?
2. I have 3 children under 18 years of age, when I file N-400, should I submit any other application for kids? If yes, what that would be? if not, then How can they be able to get the US passport and what is the process after approval of citizenship oaths of the parents? The reason, I am asking is we have the plan to visit overseas all family members to meet the parents after 7 years, so we all want to go together and everyone is able to get the US passports immediate after the citizenship oath ceremony.
3. If. N-600's concern, is it mandatory file immediate after the citizenship oath or we can do couple years later?

Thank you and expecting your help to make me understand the process.

1. You can check the date for filing here https://www.uscis.gov/forms/uscis-early-filing-calculator

2. No special filing needed for children. You will submit the required evidence to prove they are citizens with their passport applications. (read the instructions well, specifically evidence for citizenship through naturalization of parents is near top of 2nd page) https://eforms.state.gov/Forms/ds11.pdf You can all apply for passports at the same time (we did that).

3. N600 is not mandatory. Some people like me prefer it, others are happy with just passports as proof of citizenship. If you do file it I suggest filing online (you can scan copies of the documents, otherwise you will have to wait for original documents from passport application to be returned). Bear in mind it will take at least a few months to process (passport is much quicker).

You can apply for passport on the day of your oath for yourself and your minor children and expedite it. In fact it’s easier that way since their citizenship is derived based on yours and DoS can process all applications together. A US passport is a conclusive proof of US citizenship as per 22 USC 2705. However some people still prefer a N-600. Your children can apply for N-600 any time in their life, there is no time limit. If they apply after they are 18, they may need to attend a oath ceremony (no interview necessary). The biggest consideration is cost, it costs over $1000 per N600 application while a passport is $140 ish.

You can apply for passport on the day of your oath for yourself and your minor children and expedite it. In fact it’s easier that way since their citizenship is derived based on yours and DoS can process all applications together. A US passport is a conclusive proof of US citizenship as per 22 USC 2705. However some people still prefer a N-600. Your children can apply for N-600 any time in their life, there is no time limit. If they apply after they are 18, they may need to attend a oath ceremony (no interview necessary). The biggest consideration is cost, it costs over $1000 per N600 application while a passport is $140 ish.
Actually they just take the oath when collecting n600 certificate in a uscis office, not attend a ceremony. And I think it’s over 14 that has to take the oath.

Actually they just take the oath when collecting n600 certificate in a uscis office, not attend a ceremony. And I think it’s over 14 that has to take the oath.

Wow. Strange that they are making underage kids take an oath of allegiance. But considering it’s USCIS, anything is possible.

Wow. Strange that they are making underage kids take an oath of allegiance. But considering it’s USCIS, anything is possible.

“USCIS has determined that children under the age of 14 are generally unable to understand the meaning of the oath. Thus, USCIS generally waives the oath ceremony for children younger than 14 years of age. If USCIS waives the oath requirement, USCIS issues a Certificate of Citizenship after the officer approves the application.”

”It is worth emphasizing that this requirement to take the oath only arises when the child seeks a Certificate of Citizenship, and is not a necessary step before the child is a U.S. citizen. In other words, even if a child does not take the oath, but otherwise satisfies the acquisition or derivation requirements, the child is still a U.S. citizen.”

”It is worth emphasizing that this requirement to take the oath only arises when the child seeks a Certificate of Citizenship, and is not a necessary step before the child is a U.S. citizen. In other words, even if a child does not take the oath, but otherwise satisfies the acquisition or derivation requirements, the child is still a U.S. citizen.”

- This is what I call non-sensical. Once the parents naturalize, their kids automatically become US citizens as long as they are in their legal custody and hold a GC. They are US citizens from that moment, regardless if they apply for a US passport or a N-600 (these merely serve as the proofs of citizenship). So, kids who choose to apply for passport and not for CoC never have to take an oath while those who choose to apply for CoC and are 14+ years have to pledge an oath. From the POV of equal application of rules, this makes absolutely no sense at all other than to create a bureaucratic hurdle. Anyway that was just my rant.

Hi There,
Thank you for providing us the information and support whenever is needed.
I have 3 questions to ask before I submit my N-400 Naturalization application. I got my GC through Asylum and my 5 years will be completed on May 16, 2021.
1. Am I allowed to submit the application before 3 months? If yes, until which date I have to wait to file the application?
2. I have 3 children under 18 years of age, when I file N-400, should I submit any other application for kids? If yes, what that would be? if not, then How can they be able to get the US passport and what is the process after approval of citizenship oaths of the parents? The reason, I am asking is we have the plan to visit overseas all family members to meet the parents after 7 years, so we all want to go together and everyone is able to get the US passports immediate after the citizenship oath ceremony.
3. If. N-600's concern, is it mandatory file immediate after the citizenship oath or we can do couple years later?

Thank you and expecting your help to make me understand the process.
Thank you