• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

"On March 18, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services temporarily suspended in-person services at its field offices, asylum offices, and application support centers (ASCs) to help slow the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19). USCIS is readying offices to reopen on or after June 4. Employees in these offices are continuing to perform mission-essential services that do not require face-to-face contact with the public while the offices are closed."
I didn't check News section before. On first page of USCIS website wording is exactly the same as before:

"On March 18, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services temporarily suspended routine in-person services to help slow the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19). USCIS plans to begin reopening our offices on June 4, unless the public closures are extended further. USCIS staff are continuing to perform duties that do not involve contact with the public. However, USCIS will provide emergency services for limited situations. To schedule an emergency appointment, contact the USCIS Contact Center. "

I didn't check News section before. On first page of USCIS website wording is exactly the same as before:

"On March 18, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services temporarily suspended routine in-person services to help slow the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19). USCIS plans to begin reopening our offices on June 4, unless the public closures are extended further. USCIS staff are continuing to perform duties that do not involve contact with the public. However, USCIS will provide emergency services for limited situations. To schedule an emergency appointment, contact the USCIS Contact Center. "
Yes, the same

Does june 4th extension affect the timelines? is AOS still a better option than CP provided the extension? Many thanks

I don’t believe anyone can confidently tell you which option is better given the circumstances and ongoing new developments, so you might as well stop asking the same question over and over. You’ll have to review both processes which option is best for you based on everything that’s been happening.

The rest of the email from the (3rd sentence onward) is generic information which is not applicable to AOS. KCC does not schedule AOS interview. You can safely ignore the rest of what it says.
Thank you. Hoped it would be something like that :)
Time to get on work and figure out details of this process. I'm sure I will be back with questions :D

Just for the future reference, I used P.O. Box address as my mailing address in item 13 of form I-485 and also in my form I-944. I got NOA letter in my P.O. Box without an issue.

@Sm1smom I can't find any information on what happens if you're currently seeking to get an employment based greencard. Is it possible for the two AOSs to collide with each other?
Let's say that I submit my AOS package for DV now and will be waiting till september to see if i get through, can my employer still process my eb files (perm/i140) while I'm in the DV AOS or would they need to stop all that until I get the response back from my DV AOS?

My question is, am I risking too much by applying for DV AOS if my employer will also try to get me a gc via employement (even though that would probably take years).

My visa and work petition will still be valid after september so my understanding is that even if my case gets rejected for the dv aos, i'll still be in a legal status but i don't want this to interfere with my employment based gc.

Last edited:
Good evening @Sm1smom,

Appreciate your help to all of us.

I am planning to do AoS as my CN will become current in June 2020 (if USCIS open their offices by that time).

I remember from one of the memos posted in AoS Excel spreadsheet that Medical examination can be excluded from the AoS package and the applicant seeking AoS can bring it to the interview. I am planning to do so and will be sending all the AoS package except one document I've already mentioned.

Do you think that might create any problems? Or should I try and send everything is one package at once?

Thank you and best regards

@Sm1smom I can't find any information on what happens if you're currently seeking to get an employment based greencard. Is it possible for the two AOSs to collide with each other?
Let's say that I submit my AOS package for DV now and will be waiting till september to see if i get through, can my employer still process my eb files (perm/i140) while I'm in the DV AOS or would they need to stop all that until I get the response back from my DV AOS?

My question is, am I risking too much by applying for DV AOS if my employer will also try to get me a gc via employement (even though that would probably take years).

My visa and work petition will still be valid after september so my understanding is that even if my case gets rejected for the dv aos, i'll still be in a legal status but i don't want this to interfere with my employment based gc.

Not a problem. Having multiple petitions in the system at the same time hasn’t been known to be an issue to the best of my knowledge.

Good evening @Sm1smom,

Appreciate your help to all of us.

I am planning to do AoS as my CN will become current in June 2020 (if USCIS open their offices by that time).

I remember from one of the memos posted in AoS Excel spreadsheet that Medical examination can be excluded from the AoS package and the applicant seeking AoS can bring it to the interview. I am planning to do so and will be sending all the AoS package except one document I've already mentioned.

Do you think that might create any problems? Or should I try and send everything is one package at once?

Thank you and best regards

Yes that is allowed. There’s a slight chance a newbie working at the Chicago Lockbox could consider your package to be incomplete and subsequently send back the entire pack to you - that’s is a very slight possibility to be aware of.

The other thing to be aware of is if the IO was considering approving the petition without an interview, they will not be able to do so without the medical report.

What actions of the AoS process have been affected by this USCIS closure? I will still receive DV fee payment receive and my AOS package will still be processed, even though USCIS is closed for public?

A general and kind of obvious (me being dumb) question:

Regarding the I-485 and I-944:

Q1: I am filling out the I-485 and I-944 so is there a forum based guidance specific to these forms like the AOS process spreadsheet?
Q2: if not, then is the instruction PDF from USCIS only guide?
Q3: For example is it advised that to have no blank field? And write in N/A or NONE?
Q4: I dont have a middle name, should I leave it blank or write n/a?

Thanks

A general and kind of obvious (me being dumb) question:

Regarding the I-485 and I-944:

Q1: I am filling out the I-485 and I-944 so is there a forum based guidance specific to these forms like the AOS process spreadsheet?
Q2: if not, then is the instruction PDF from USCIS only guide?
Q3: For example is it advised that to have no blank field? And write in N/A or NONE?
Q4: I dont have a middle name, should I leave it blank or write n/a?

Thanks

1&2: Each form comes with an applicable USCIS instruction - be sure to follow them.
3. Instructions says to not leave them blank, and to write N/A or None, right? Just follow those instructions. Don’t overthink it.
4. That should be left blank in this case.

What actions of the AoS process have been affected by this USCIS closure? I will still receive DV fee payment receive and my AOS package will still be processed, even though USCIS is closed for public?

Biometrics and interviews - (in-person services)

@Sm1smom I'm not sure that i understand what the 1NL and 2NL is,
is 1NL the "2020EU0XXXXXXX Further DV Documents Required" email
and 2NL the "U.S. DoS - CEAC Confirmation (2020EU0XXXXXXX )" or "2020EU0XXXXXXX Diversity Visa Adjustment Letter"
or is it something else?

@Sm1smom I'm not sure that i understand what the 1NL and 2NL is,
is 1NL the "2020EU0XXXXXXX Further DV Documents Required" email
and 2NL the "U.S. DoS - CEAC Confirmation (2020EU0XXXXXXX )" or "2020EU0XXXXXXX Diversity Visa Adjustment Letter"
or is it something else?

1. 1NL = the selectee letter, the letter announcing you’re a DV selectee
2. 2NL = letter with attachment from KCC confirming they’re aware of your decision to process AOS. This is usually sent after DS260 form submission or DV administrative fee payment in the case of those who opt to not submit the DS260.

Just as a backup my brother is submitting I-134 for me with my AOS (I485 and I944) package. My wife is my derivative. So, I know I need to submit separate I-944, and I485 for her.

Q: Do we need a separate I-134 for her as well?

Hi Mom,
Thank you for all of your support and guidance.
My CN is current as others now, i am going to follow up whatever is on the spreedsheet that you have prepared. I hope everything would go smoothly.
ALso i have already made the payment for AOS fee and got the receipt. I wish everyone good luck as well.
THank you all.

Hi Mom,
Will we be able to request for change of address once we submit our AOS package? or is it reasonable to rent a PO Box from USPS and use it for communication with USCIS or KCC instead of changing address later on after AOS package submitted?

I am supposed to move to a different address by the end of May, i am concerned that if I would be able to ask for address change once i submit my application. thanks

Last edited: