Waiting Asylum decision

It is possible to get SSN without/before EAD?
Not for work purposes, but for opening a bank account and other similar things.

If not, what about ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number)?

unfortunately no ,

you can open a bank account without one , i opened my account without SSN and before i even applied for asylum on a b1 visa . start with Wells Fargo .

USCIS finally published some statistics and numbers about affirmative asylum after 9 months. This data sheet is for 2019 fiscal year (Oct 2018 - Sep 2019). There are some interesting trends here that explain why a lot of people on the forum haven't got any receipt notices from USCIS even after 2-3 months.

Click here to view the data

1) The number of scheduled interviews by all offices has dropped down to 30-50% of what it used to be before Aug-Sep 2019. This means you will have to wait 2-3 times more than how long it usually took in early 2019 in order to get an interview. I'd say, three months after a filing I-589 is a reasonable guess. So, don't be surprised if you have to wait that long.

2) If you applied in August 2019, you have a tough luck getting an interview soon. Unfortunately, they started this new unwritten policy in August. So, if you a applied in August, there is a more than 50% chance that no interview was scheduled for you in that month and since you are in lowere priority than those who applied later than you, let's say in September or October, you're less likely to get an interview as long as the backlog in front of you hasn't become cleared yet. This is simple because of the LIFO policy that was implemented in 2018.

3) While they are conducting way fewer interviews now, they have, on the other hand, increased the number of cases that they adjudicate. For example, Chicago office went from deciding 552 cases in January 2019 up to 1246 cases in Sep 2019. Other offices show a similar pattern. This means that the current policy is to clear the backlog a little bit and give out more decisions.

4) A very noticeable reduction is observed in the number of asylum seekers from Latin America, Venezuela in particular. It must be because of recent regulations passed by Trump administration such as safe third country rule passed in Sep 2019 and EAD ineligibility rule for illegal presence and failure to appear at court and interview. As a direct result of that, you see far fewer number of applications have been received by Miami and other offices in the south in Sep 2019.

USCIS finally published some statistics and numbers about affirmative asylum after 9 months. This data sheet is for 2019 fiscal year (Oct 2018 - Sep 2019). There are some interesting trends here that explain why a lot of people on the forum haven't got any receipt notices from USCIS even after 2-3 months.

Click here to view the data

1) The number of scheduled interviews by all offices has dropped down to 30-50% of what it used to be before Aug-Sep 2019. This means you will have to wait 2-3 times more than how long it usually took in early 2019 in order to get an interview. I'd say, three months after a filing I-589 is a reasonable guess. So, don't be surprised if you have to wait that long.

2) If you applied in August 2019, you have a tough luck getting an interview soon. Unfortunately, they started this new unwritten policy in August. So, if you a applied in August, there is a more than 50% chance that no interview was scheduled for you in that month and since you are in lowere priority than those who applied later than you, let's say in September or October, you're less likely to get an interview as long as the backlog in front of you hasn't become cleared yet. This is simple because of the LIFO policy that was implemented in 2018.

3) While they are conducting way fewer interviews now, they have, on the other hand, increased the number of cases that they adjudicate. For example, Chicago office went from deciding 552 cases in January 2019 up to 1246 cases in Sep 2019. Other offices show a similar pattern. This means that the current policy is to clear the backlog a little bit and give out more decisions.

4) A very noticeable reduction is observed in the number of asylum seekers from Latin America, Venezuela in particular. It must be because of recent regulations passed by Trump administration such as safe third country rule passed in Sep 2019 and EAD ineligibility rule for illegal presence and failure to appear at court and interview. As a direct result of that, you see far fewer number of applications have been received by Miami and other offices in the south in Sep 2019.
Interesting numbers. This report provides really great insights. Some of the stuff I have learnt from reading it -
  1. Asylum Interviews -
    a) Rescheduling - We have always said that interviews can be rescheduled - either by USCIS or Applicant. This is normal.
    b) Means when your interview is cancelled, relax.
    c) Court - Your case can be referred to court without an interview
    d) No Shows - Most people do not show up for their interviews, others actually cancel their interviews - This is super bad for people with genuine cases. These no shows/cancellations are evidence for officers to conclude that most asylum applications are actually frivolous applications. That is why they are skeptical of claims by people who actually show up. What a shame

2. One Year deadline -
    a) When you file your case after the 1-year deadline, tough luck. You can't win affirmative asylum - officers refer your case to immigration court always
    b) So there is nothing to see here, just another data point for you to understand that you need to file your case fast before the 1 year deadline

3. Chicago -
    a) Chicago, Miami, NYC, Newark, San Francisco accounted for more than 77% of cases in Sept 2019
    b) This just confirms what we already know. If your case is under the jurisdiction of these places, tough luck. You will wait longer.
    c) I went through the Chicago office, compared to other places like Miami, NYC, Chicago is better, but still not good
    d) Boston is your best place to file
    e) Basically, there are no approvals in NYC. What a shame - means you need to present a solid case, with the help of lawyers. You can't win the case here if you file by yourself.

4. Revocations -
    a) Approved asylum can be revoked, even though the numbers are very small.
    b) This is an indication that when you are granted asylum, do not do crazy stuff, like going back to country of persecution. USCIS can still revoke your asylum grant - if the case was approved affirmatively.

5. Cases Closed -
    a) USCIS closes cases all the time. Up to 50% of cases are shut down
    b) You need to be on high-alert about your case. USCIS can shut down your case without your knowledge. I think this is what happened to me. I submitted my case July 2007. August 2007 - October 2007, I kept following up, but nothing. Nothing, no biometrics, no receipt notice, etc. I had to file a new case.
    c) In this era of backlogs, do not wait too long before you follow up with USCIS. They might close your case....

6. Countries
    a) People from all countries of the world apply for asylum in the US.

7. Backlog
    a) Do not file in NYC - the backlog there is out of control
    b) Consider moving if you can. New Orleans has the smallest backlog
The above statements are for data in September 2019. But I would imagine they hold across dates....

these figures do not show “waiting for a decision.” Can you determine the tendency to make a decision? I filed 2019, September

Does it work that way?
As I understand it, these are statistics from USCIS. They accept cases from asylum seekers who already legally enter the United States and usually the rule of a third country does not apply to them.
People who apply for asylum at the border are sent to the courts and do not fall into these statistics.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

these figures do not show “waiting for a decision.” Can you determine the tendency to make a decision? I filed 2019, September
If you are waiting for interviews/decisions, the situation doesn't look good across the whole country:

1. September 2019: 4453 cases were adjudicated, but 5243 cases had been filed ---> 5243-4453 = 790 added to the backlog
2. August 2019 : 4450 adjudicated, vs. 6723 file....2273 added to backlog
3. July 2019 : 1471 added to backlog
4. June 2019: 20 removed from backlog
5. May : 573 added to the backlog
6. Backlog growth ----> April 2019 (328,519): ---> May 2019 (329,651) ---> June 2019 (330,612) ---> July 2019 (333,597) ---> August 2019 (337,292) ---> Sept 2019 (339,836)

1579386045415.png

Up to September 2019:

a) the system is barely above water....they are still failing to adjudicate a greater or equal amount of cases to those that they receive during that month: Ideal situation: 100 cases received in month A, say 200 cases concluded in the same month...means they kept up, and removed 100 from the backlog. Instead, they are adding to the backlog.

b) Just means that if you are stuck in the backlog, it doesn't look good. Already, we are hearing reports of people waiting for their cases to be decided 3+ years. Unless something changes this year, cases of people waiting 4+ years as the norm will become common.

c) for new filers, there is hope...but not much, USCIS is barely, more like failing, to keep up with all the new filed cases. If you are unlucky, your case will be added to the backlog

Nomatter which way you look at the numbers, seems the backlog will not be cleared anytime soon. A few years from now, won't surprise me to hear that people are waiting for decisions for up to ten years. Which is terrible

If you are waiting for interviews/decisions, the situation doesn't look good across the whole country
I'm not sure I can agree on those who are awaiting a decision.

We see that the number of conducted interviews dropped by more than 50% since August, while the number of decisions issued fell by only 15-20%.

It is true that the number of completed cases is less than the number of new cases and this increases the backlog of people who waiting interview. But if we are talking about cases that are awaiting a decision after the interview, then there is an active decrease in backlog.

For example, in October 2018, the number of completed cases was only 8% higher than the number of interviews conducted. In June 2019, this number reached 44%. In August 69% and in September 125%.
That is, in September, only 2799 interviews were conducted, but 6286 cases were completed.

It seems that the new policy begin only in August, so there is not so much data to talk about trend (only for August and September), but there is an obvious tendency to reduce the cases that are pending after the interview.

There is no way to tell. One can only guess that you'd be more likely to receive your decision faster, as long as you have already had your interview, because they are completing way more cases each month than before.

Does it work that way?
As I understand it, these are statistics from USCIS. They accept cases from asylum seekers who already legally enter the United States and usually the rule of a third country does not apply to them.
People who apply for asylum at the border are sent to the courts and do not fall into these statistics.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
You're right. These numbers belong to affirmative asylum and do not account for those who arrive at the Mexican border.

I think there is a significant diaspora of Venezuelans who fled to other countries, such as Colombia, as the result of economic crisis. Again I'm guessing many of them who had relatives in Florida, who they could potentially stay with for 6 months or so, saw the United States as a better economic opportunity than the countries that they lived in. So, they often entered the US through B1/B2 visas and applied for asylum. This new bar, however, discourages them from doing so because they know that:

1) They will definitely be denied right away by the AO long before they can get an EAD and in order to sustain themselves. In the meanwhile, they end up losing a lot of their savings because the have to convert their worthless currency into valuable US dollars in order to survive.

2) Having a denied asylum history bars you from getting any sort of non-immigrant visa in future and it just makes no sense to lose the chance to visit the US again because of one silly asylum application which they are certain will be rejected shortly.

I'm speculating all of the above and I've never talked to a single person from Venezuela in my life. So, I might be wrong.

You're right. These numbers belong to affirmative asylum and do not account for those who arrive at the Mexican border.

I think there is a significant diaspora of Venezuelans who fled to other countries, such as Colombia, as the result of economic crisis. Again I'm guessing many of them who had relatives in Florida, who they could potentially stay with for 6 months or so, saw the United States as a better economic opportunity than the countries that they lived in. So, they often entered the US through B1/B2 visas and applied for asylum. This new bar, however, discourages them from doing so because they know that:

1) They will definitely be denied right away by the AO long before they can get an EAD and in order to sustain themselves. In the meanwhile, they end up losing a lot of their savings because the have to convert their worthless currency into valuable US dollars in order to survive.

2) Having a denied asylum history bars you from getting any sort of non-immigrant visa in future and it just makes no sense to lose the chance to visit the US again because of one silly asylum application which they are certain will be rejected shortly.

I'm speculating all of the above and I've never talked to a single person from Venezuela in my life. So, I might be wrong.

“They will definitely be denied right away by the AO”

“ one silly asylum application which they are certain will be rejected shortly”

Are you kidding me? Obviously you dont have any idea about Venezuela and the political situation they are living there.

The big part of the venezuelan asylum application are approved and that is because the USA government know exactly what is happen down there!

But it's wrong to call their currency worthless dear. So wrong.

what are pros or cons of applying to canada on pending asylum?? please let me know
Appyig for what in Canada?
Tourist or University visa? if you leave the US you have abandoned your asylum
Express Entry? If you get approved, it indicates firm resettlement and you won't be eligible for asylum
applying for asylum in Canada? you are ineligible because US and Cnada have a treaty on aslum

applyinf for tourist visa
Appyig for what in Canada?
Tourist or University visa? if you leave the US you have abandoned your asylum
Express Entry? If you get approved, it indicates firm resettlement and you won't be eligible for asylum
applying for asylum in Canada? you are ineligible because US and Cnada have a treaty on aslum
applying for tourist visa

applyinf for tourist visa

applying for tourist visa
You will lose your asylum claim.
You will not be admitted into the US if you still have a valid non-immigrant visa becausse the CBP knows that ou have shown immigration intent by applying for asylum before. Overall, it's a dumb idea.

You will lose your asylum claim.
You will not be admitted into the US if you still have a valid non-immigrant visa becausse the CBP knows that ou have shown immigration intent by applying for asylum before. Overall, it's a dumb idea.
thanks for your frank feed back appreciate it.

It seems like he didn’t get approval yet. I applied for my husband in December 2018 in Nebraska office and I still didn’t receive any thing from them other than the receipt, my case still shows fees were waived when I check online.
Hello ,have you heard from Nebraska concerning your spouse i730,please update me

Hey

Friend, do you even have a clue of what is like to live in Venezuela? With all the respect please read a little bit more. Don't give out facts based on your lack of knowledge, it is insulting.

Last edited: