SSN for children

Ssaib

Hi All,

Quick question:
- Do the children get a SSN by default when they are born in US?
- If not, is there a reason we should apply for one before the child reaches the age of maturity.

Thank you!!

No, you need to apply for one for your child, along with proof your child is a US Citizen.
Yes, you can claim your child as a dependent on your income taxes. You also get your child in the SSN system, it is issued for your child's lifetime. It is needed to apply for college student aid (FAFSA), to work in part time (as teenager), etc.

Thanks Amberleaf & newacct. My son is 14 now, just can't recall if I applied for his SSN. I have moved out of US but would have claimed him on my Tax returns for a few years after his birth.
I guess the child has to have a SSN in order to be claimed on parent's tax return right?
Thanks again!

Thanks Amberleaf & newacct. My son is 14 now, just can't recall if I applied for his SSN. I have moved out of US but would have claimed him on my Tax returns for a few years after his birth.
I guess the child has to have a SSN in order to be claimed on parent's tax return right?
Thanks again!
Well, you can claim a dependent with an ITIN, but someone who is eligible for an SSN (like your son) shouldn't be eligible for an ITIN. So almost certainly your son has an SSN.

look for those old tax returns and find the SSN. or call the Social Security office and ask them, but they won't give his SSN over the phone.
If you are near an Social Security office, drop in and ask them. (expect to wait inline for a while)

Thanks again for your feedback.
I will try to dig through my tax documentation and see if I can find his number. Unfortunately I am in Canada, hence won’t be able to go down to the Social Security offices.