• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 All Selectees

So they told you the same thing in different words.
Why the same thing? the certificate expires in one year, but based on the website if it is from a country that I left in 2012 I should not provide a newer one. I'm probably overthinking,...

Why the same thing? the certificate expires in one year, but based on the website if it is from a country that I left in 2012 I should not provide a newer one. I'm probably overthinking,...
Well maybe you didn’t express it here quite the way she expressed it to you, to me it sounded like they both said it won’t expire. Anyway, go by the website. KCC are administrative, not immigration advice providers.

Where does it say the police cert. expires 'in one year'? Read carefully what is stated in the quote I posted in my comment (#354). Specifically, you no longer reside in those countries.

Last edited:
Just in case you may not have known, but there are clear rules as to the validity of police certificates. Have you read through the official rules that can be found here: LINK edited

I have to ask 4 police certificates 3 of which are from countries where I don't live anymore. Technically that means that they expire after one year, as I can understand from your post and the .gov website. Hopefully having those documents within 6 months from the interview (eventually) will be ok.

I have to ask 4 police certificates 3 of which are from countries where I don't live anymore. Technically that means that they expire after one year, as I can understand from your post and the .gov website. Hopefully having those documents within 6 months from the interview (eventually) will be ok.
If you don't live in these 3 countries any more then they will not expire based on the website, see the picture I posted above. Only the one form the current country where you live now should be less than one year old which is easy since it takes 3 bizz days to get it (we live in the same country now)

If you don't live in these 3 countries any more then they will not expire based on the website, see the picture I posted above. Only the one form the current country where you live now should be less than one year old which is easy since it takes 3 bizz days to get it (we live in the same country now)

That makes sense. One of the 4 countries I resided in particular is very slow in giving this kind of documents so I better start asking now...

That makes sense. One of the 4 countries I resided in particular is very slow in giving this kind of documents so I better start asking now...
Same here, I lived in an European country and got the certificate by email in 2 bizz days, as you know the country where we live now it takes 3 days only while my homeland takes 2 months!!! I just asked for the certificate this morning

Wrong. What it says is the exact opposite of how you interpret it. Keyword is "UNLESS".

In this link:
https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...ersity-visa-prepare-supporting-documents.html

Then go to Police Certificate, you will see this. It clearly says that the certificate could be more than one year older if I never went back to that country.

View attachment 1080

That's the information I provided here myself. When I asked you where you saw that your police certificates would expire 'in one year' (your words), I thought you were referring to your own situation, not a general rule that also gives the exception in the same sentence.

All these comments for rules that are so clear, lol.

Btw...when I replied to you yesterday I actually didn't notice that I wasn't replying to Leon_47. You slipped into the discussion and I obviously didn't know there are multiple discussions happening. :D

Reactions: WBA
I am from Srilanka and I am Software Engineering Degree holder and working as DevOps Engineer in Srilanka. I have sufficient funds in my bank account to survive after migrating to the US, at least until I find a job. But someone told me for Srilankan DV lottery winners, US sponsor is a compulsory requirement even though you have sufficient funds in the bank account.

So then I finally found a sponsor who can help me with this matter. but he is very concerned about filling out his SSN in I-134 form. So my question is is that okay to leave the SSN and fill the form and explain the VISA offer the truth.. which is my sponsor is concerned about giving out his SSN?

That's the information I provided here myself. When I asked you where you saw that your police certificates would expire 'in one year' (your words), I thought you were referring to your own situation, not a general rule that also gives the exception in the same sentence.

All these comments for rules that are so clear, lol.

Btw...when I replied to you yesterday I actually didn't notice that I wasn't replying to Leon_47. You slipped into the discussion and I obviously didn't know there are multiple discussions happening. :D
Yes all good now, the rules are clear. I lived in many countries but only one stressed me a bit since it is not easy to get the certificate from there and it takes a long time to get it. I requested one Saturday way ahead just in case

I am from Srilanka and I am Software Engineering Degree holder and working as DevOps Engineer in Srilanka. I have sufficient funds in my bank account to survive after migrating to the US, at least until I find a job. But someone told me for Srilankan DV lottery winners, US sponsor is a compulsory requirement even though you have sufficient funds in the bank account.

So then I finally found a sponsor who can help me with this matter. but he is very concerned about filling out his SSN in I-134 form. So my question is is that okay to leave the SSN and fill the form and explain the VISA offer the truth.. which is my sponsor is concerned about giving out his SSN?
Is this a general rule for anybody or only for people from Srilanka? I never heard about this rule
I recommend you follow the instructions in the website, if they require a sponsor for people form Srilanka they would have mentioned it

Is this a general rule for anybody or only for people from Srilanka? I never heard about this rule
I recommend you follow the instructions in the website, if they require a sponsor for people form Srilanka they would have mentioned it

Each embassy’s process varies - some specifically lists the documents they require which goes beyond the general general instructions on the travel.state.gov’s website. So be careful with directing people asking questions to rely on just that. The US embassy in Sri Lanka is known to request an I-134.

By the way, I hope you actually saw this from the website and followed the instructions yourself:
“5. Review Additional Information
Visit the U.S. embassy or consulate website where you will be interviewed for any additional information.”​
In addition DV Instructions clearly states:
MISCELLANEOUS
38. If I receive a visa through the DV program, will the U.S. government pay for my airfare to the United States, help me find housing and employment, and/or provide healthcare or any subsidies until I am fully settled?
No. The U.S. government will not provide any of these services to you if you receive a visa through the DV program. If you are selected to apply for a DV, you must demonstrate that you will not become a public charge in the United States before being issued a visa. This evidence may be in the form of a combination of your personal assets, an Affidavit of Support (Form I-134) submitted by a relative or friend residing in the United States, an offer of employment from an employer in the United States, or other evidence.

So you had better make sure you’re reading all the “tiny prints” yourself.

An I-134 requirement is explicitly stated on the Sri Lanka US embassy’s website - so the need for this goes beyond a case of “someone said”.

Your sponsor is concerned with including SSN on the I-134. Do they plan on providing you with their W-2 or 1099 and government issued ID, or they’re only providing you with a non-properly filled I-134?

yes. It is specified on the SL embassy list of requirements for DV winners.

KCC thankfully reopened my DS260 form as requested by me to revise it. But my question: for how long can I keep my ds260 unlocked before resubmitting it again?
In their (unlocking) email they said "DS-260s should be resubmitted as soon as the necessary changes are made." But I'm worried about any time frame allowed for me to send it back as I already got confirmation number?

Thanks, I guess I need to do the same for myself as well
I was on my phone earlier so didn't look for the list - see item 5 on https://lk.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/149/DV-Check-list-sept-2018.pdf . Not many consulates require I134s, but many consulates do have their own instructions about certain things that may not be general (SL has further country-specific instructions on the second page of that link, as an example) so one must always check own-embassy requirements.

KCC thankfully reopened my DS260 form as requested by me to revise it. But my question: for how long can I keep my ds260 unlocked before resubmitting it again?
In their (unlocking) email they said "DS-260s should be resubmitted as soon as the necessary changes are made." But I'm worried about any time frame allowed for me to send it back as I already got confirmation number?

You can keep it open as long as you like, while bearing in mind that it won't be processed until you resubmit. Not an issue now, later on it could delay your case by keeping it open.