• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

LV 2018 winners

immi176

Hi,
If one is a professional from Iran and lives there and has won LV 2018. if he/she has uncle and/or aunt in USA. Does this help him/her in his Green card case?.

could elaborate and give detail as why not?. My understanding has been that having an uncle or aunt for the applicant is helpful in his or her LV case and it is as good as having parents or brother or so in USA. Could you give some explanation. Maybe the lower court's order got turned over later. I am not sure.

If you’re talking about applying for a waiver from the travel ban, this is a recent legal note on it (mods I’m assuming AILA is ok to use as a reference here?) https://www.aila.org/File/DownloadEmbeddedFile/75354
Also note that just the time it takes to file and get a waiver processed generally is a problem for diversity visa winners, whose visas need to be issued by the end of the fiscal year (September 30 each year).

could elaborate and give detail as why not?. My understanding has been that having an uncle or aunt for the applicant is helpful in his or her LV case and it is as good as having parents or brother or so in USA. Could you give some explanation. Maybe the lower court's order got turned over later. I am not sure.

The information that Susie posted is very useful information, and highlights the difficulties people are having in obtaining waivers. As she mentioned, the time involved is a concern, because you cannot take your case past the Sept 30 deadline.

But more specifically, an Aunt or Uncle is NOT the same as a parent or siblings (not that having a parent or sibling makes getting a waiver a slam dunk either). The scope of what is defined as immediate relative changed a couple of times during the various ban versions and court cases. It currently does NOT include aunt/uncles.