• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Trump attacks Diversity Visa program

Many politicians from all positions of power attacked the current immigration system in the US for a number of reasons.

First because the current one is old and doesn't really face the present needs and second because, in situations like the one that happened some weeks ago, some of those entering US with a GC are devolving into criminals and/or terrorists.

The current DV system was in talks to be terminated since the first Obama mandate or even earlier but no piece of immigration reform was good enough to create an agreement and a majority for the law to pass.

This year nevertheless pressure built up not only because of the situation created by the latests attacks but also by the EO signed by Trump that puts in danger DACA immigrants for example.

This is why I believe that the actual DV program will suffer a change in the next 12 months either to a termination or a change in the program requirements. I believe that a direct termination might hurt the diversity of the immigrants reaching US so possibly a change in the program requirements might sound better.

In any case I strongly believe that either DV2018 or DV2019 will not be affected by this change.

First about DV2018 because is already in process on interviews stage and second for DV2019 as I don't believe such a piece of law will be agreed and voted until later in the 2nd half of this year so DV2019 will enter the same stage as DV2018 long before the law will be approved.

But lets wait and see.

Best of luck to all pursuers of DV2018 and DV2019 programs

The shame of the current political debate that is anti DV is there is a lot of talk about a merit based system. In fact, DV is ALREADY a merit based system. Just winning isn't enough - you have to meet education (or work experience) requirements, so in practice, the average DV selectee is more qualified than the general population.

Now - I do agree that a more obvious merit based system is better for the USA - but the DV lottery offered a glimmer of hope a small number of people each year...

The shame of the current political debate that is anti DV is there is a lot of talk about a merit based system. In fact, DV is ALREADY a merit based system. Just winning isn't enough - you have to meet education (or work experience) requirements, so in practice, the average DV selectee is more qualified than the general population.

Now - I do agree that a more obvious merit based system is better for the USA - but the DV lottery offered a glimmer of hope a small number of people each year...

The way Trump changing his mind I think he might even reject bipartisan bill. Or he might take it in exchange of wall.

I haven't heard anything about the merit base system. The only thing been mention is elimination of DV and chain migration but no replacement to a merit base system and how it will work. The white house made a new proposal but I don't think they are including a merit base system.

I haven't heard anything about the merit base system. The only thing been mention is elimination of DV and chain migration but no replacement to a merit base system and how it will work. The white house made a new proposal but I don't think they are including a merit base system.

Merit based is the entire focus of what they have been saying they want to replace it with...well they usually use the word "skills" but same thing
eg from back in August https://www.cnn.com/2017/08/02/politics/trump-skills-immigration-plan-cotton-perdue/index.html

Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) today proposing a sharp increase in H1B visas for example, to replace other types of visas.

Last edited:
On the Orrin Hatch proposal

http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/25/technology/hatch-flake-h1b-bill/index.html

Extract:
Republican Senators Orrin Hatch and Jeff Flake introduced legislation on Thursday that aims to increase the annual quota of H-1B visas from 65,000 to 85,000. ....In addition, the Immigration Innovation Act, or I-Squared, legislation would also provide work authorization for spouses and children of H-1B visa holders..... The bill proposes to add a "market-based escalator" so the supply can better support demand. That means granting up to 110,000 additional visas (a total of 195,000), and prioritizing visas for those with master's degrees, foreign Ph.D.'s or U.S. STEM bachelor degrees.

On the Orrin Hatch proposal

http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/25/technology/hatch-flake-h1b-bill/index.html

Extract:
Republican Senators Orrin Hatch and Jeff Flake introduced legislation on Thursday that aims to increase the annual quota of H-1B visas from 65,000 to 85,000. ....In addition, the Immigration Innovation Act, or I-Squared, legislation would also provide work authorization for spouses and children of H-1B visa holders..... The bill proposes to add a "market-based escalator" so the supply can better support demand. That means granting up to 110,000 additional visas (a total of 195,000), and prioritizing visas for those with master's degrees, foreign Ph.D.'s or U.S. STEM bachelor degrees.

Thanks for the update Susie and it seems their target is to increase H-1B visas. Lucky for those in the technology industry that will get better chances in case this gets accepted and approved. Obtaining an H-1B is already very complicated and i guess with this they ensure to put a filter in the process.

Thanks for the update Susie and it seems their target is to increase H-1B visas. Lucky for those in the technology industry that will get better chances in case this gets accepted and approved. Obtaining an H-1B is already very complicated and i guess with this they ensure to put a filter in the process.

Hm, H1B is also a highly abused visa, I hope they tighten that up irrespective of what happens.

And by "merit-based system" they mean software/doctors/etc. Not any of us who are skilled in various things but just do not fall into the select few categories deemed "skilled" for immigration. Officials only have one interpretation of what "skills" mean, and for them anyone else can go to hell.

The lottery visa was the only glimmer of hope, and now that is about to die too.

Trump is...well, everything bad anyone ever feared about this man is coming true. I guess the only thing he hasn't done yet is the nuclear strike with NKorea to bring about doomsday, but that's probably coming too.

And by "merit-based system" they mean software/doctors/etc. Not any of us who are skilled in various things but just do not fall into the select few categories deemed "skilled" for immigration. Officials only have one interpretation of what "skills" mean, and for them anyone else can go to hell.

The lottery visa was the only glimmer of hope, and now that is about to die too.

Trump is...well, everything bad anyone ever feared about this man is coming true. I guess the only thing he hasn't done yet is the nuclear strike with NKorea to bring about doomsday, but that's probably coming too.

Um, no, they don’t just mean software and doctors. Did you read the proposals? By the way - I am no Trump fan - this is not just Trump, this is something with bipartisan support backed up by solid economic theory about the drivers of growth. Young skilled people are way better for growth than old unskilled people. It makes perfect economic sense to shift from chain migration to skills-based immigration.
Are you also upset about the limitations Canada, Australia etc place on who gets immigrant visas? Do you know that Australia doesn’t grant visas to disabled children? At least the US has compassion there.

Um, no, they don’t just mean software and doctors. Did you read the proposals? By the way - I am no Trump fan - this is not just Trump, this is something with bipartisan support backed up by solid economic theory about the drivers of growth. Young skilled people are way better for growth than old unskilled people. It makes perfect economic sense to shift from chain migration to skills-based immigration.
Are you also upset about the limitations Canada, Australia etc place on who gets immigrant visas? Do you know that Australia doesn’t grant visas to disabled children? At least the US has compassion there.

All these are immigrant countries founded by (very illegal at the time) immigrants, built by immigrants, made for immigrants - that are now shutting the door at immigrants. Funny how that works.

Hm, H1B is also a highly abused visa, I hope they tighten that up irrespective of what happens.

I totally agree that the system has been abused. I was referring more to my personal case and its very complicated for a company to sponsor someone (doing it the correct way of course) for an H-1B at least in my professional area. I haven't read the proposal but lets hope its something similar to the system that is used in Canada. Where everyone can participate and several factors come into play. (points system).

I agree that DV is the only realistic hope for millions trying to move to the U.S. legally, including myself since H-1B is not a realistic option for me, even with a Masters. I know its frustrating but you also need to understand that the U.S. is an independent nation and they can do changes that will bring more benefits to their immigration system.

The DV lottery has already benefit a lot of people for over 10 years and at least its good to know that several families had a new chance in their life's with this program. I´m also hoping that I can win on this next round but reality is that chances to win are very low and its not good to put high hopes on it.

All these are immigrant countries founded by (very illegal at the time) immigrants, built by immigrants, made for immigrants - that are now shutting the door at immigrants. Funny how that works.

Not shutting the door on immigrants, but apparently on the ones that you want them to take.
Sad fact is that none of these countries owe anyone in the rest of the world anything. They may indeed owe the indigenous peoples who they illegally occupied, but their history doesn’t require them, legally or morally, to take in just anyone who feels like coming.

Bottom line is that if you have the skills they require, they will take you. I remember when hairdressers were on Australia’s required skills list...

Edit: apparently the last mentioned still is...http://www.visabureau.com/australia/anzsco/jobs/hairdresser-job-australia.aspx Australia has often had a huge variety of skills valid for skilled visa. If you are skilled as you say, perhaps look there.... plenty of artisan type jobs as well as professional ones on the list https://www.sbs.com.au/yourlanguage...stralia-new-occupation-list-2017-18-announced

Last edited:
I agree that DV is the only realistic hope for millions trying to move to the U.S. legally, including myself since H-1B is not a realistic option for me, even with a Masters. .

Actually the proposed revised requirements for H1 under the Hatch/Flake plan suggest preference for foreign masters and PhD graduates.

One could also question how “realistic” a program that provides 50k visas a year is for “millions” of people... lotteries are never “realistic” options. Some people get lucky, literally 99% don’t.

Actually the proposed revised requirements for H1 under the Hatch/Flake plan suggest preference for foreign masters and PhD graduates.

One could also question how “realistic” a program that provides 50k visas a year is for “millions” of people... lotteries are never “realistic” options. Some people get lucky, literally 99% don’t.

To be honest in my personal case and opinion. The DV Lottery would be more realistic for me, in terms of luck instead of having a company sponsoring me but again. This is my personal opinion here. Everyone has a different point of view and its respected. I totally understand your point, since I have partners that had the opportunity to move to other countries like France, Germany and the U.S. and several factors come into play as well.

To be honest in my personal case and opinion. The DV Lottery would be more realistic for me, in terms of luck instead of having a company sponsoring me but again. This is my personal opinion here. Everyone has a different point of view and its respected. I totally understand your point, since I have partners that had the opportunity to move to other countries like France, Germany and the U.S. and several factors come into play as well.

A 1% chance is your most realistic option? Well... ok

Does it affect others that 1% is my realistic option? I guess not. Thanks..
I just find it difficult to believe if you have a masters, that’s all... (assuming it’s not in needlework ) anyway..l I know people get upset when their hopes are dashed but I believe that if you and others here really want to make it to the US you need to look at non-DV options. Personally I’d be more surprised than not if they even announce a draw for DV2019, there’s a lot of pressure to get some sort of deal into law in the next couple of months.

I just find it difficult to believe if you have a masters, that’s all... (assuming it’s not in needlework ) anyway..l I know people get upset when their hopes are dashed but I believe that if you and others here really want to make it to the US you need to look at non-DV options. Personally I’d be more surprised than not if they even announce a draw for DV2019, there’s a lot of pressure to get some sort of deal into law in the next couple of months.

I´m very aware that DV2019 could be possibly cancel and again I was just sharing my personal opinions and thoughts. I don't see anything wrong on sharing my personal thoughts in regards to this. I think at the end everyone decides if they want to use other non DV routes in case they can afford them or they are available.

They are some non DV routes that are out of my possibility, simple as that.