• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

Hey Mom,

I got another INFOPASS tomorrow. The firs question will be about background check for both me and my wife. What other specific question would you suggest to consider?

Thanks.

Hi regarding the frustrating situation with the exhausted visas - my husband just called USCIS and requested to speak to a level 2 officer and he told him that there isn't such memo in the USCIS system and it may apply for specific region but nowhere in the system says that the visas are exhausted. He said that if the visas were exhausted they would call and cancel the already scheduled interviews. We have our interview scheduled for this Friday and are from Europe. Let's just hope that there will be two left visas for us!
What is your FO?

Hey Mom,

I got another INFOPASS tomorrow. The firs question will be about background check for both me and my wife. What other specific question would you suggest to consider?

Thanks.

Please check whether you can get any information from them regarding the exhausted of visas. Thank you.

Hey Mom,

Thanks.

1. Ask to know if the FO has received your AOS case files. And please don't mention the word NBC to them. Make it sound like you're making an inquiry for the first time - let's hear what they have to say.
2. Ask if your KCC file has been received.
3. Ask for background check status for both self and wife.
4. If they answer yes to all 3, request to know why an interview hasn't been scheduled.
5. Use your discretion to ask any other follow up pertinent questions based on what they say.

Print out the following document and highlight the section that says:
"The adjustment of status process for diversity visa winners must be completed by September 30 of the fiscal year the lottery pertains to. Visas cannot be carried over to the next fiscal year."
https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/diversity-visa
Use that to convince them of the urgency involved in case they try to tell you there's no need to worry.

Attend the INFOPASS with all your documents - it's not unusual for them to schedule an on the spot interview.

Hi regarding the frustrating situation with the exhausted visas - my husband just called USCIS and requested to speak to a level 2 officer and he told him that there isn't such memo in the USCIS system and it may apply for specific region but nowhere in the system says that the visas are exhausted. He said that if the visas were exhausted they would call and cancel the already scheduled interviews. We have our interview scheduled for this Friday and are from Europe. Let's just hope that there will be two left visas for us!

Please keep us posted.

1. Ask to know if the FO has received your AOS case files. And please don't mention the word NBC to them. Make it sound like you're making an inquiry for the first time - let's hear what they have to say.
2. Ask if your KCC file has been received.
3. Ask for background check status for both self and wife.
4. If they answer yes to all 3, request to know why an interview hasn't been scheduled.
5. Use your discretion to ask any other follow up pertinent questions based on what they say.

Print out the following document and highlight the section that says:
"The adjustment of status process for diversity visa winners must be completed by September 30 of the fiscal year the lottery pertains to. Visas cannot be carried over to the next fiscal year."
https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/diversity-visa
Use that to convince them of the urgency involved in case they try to tell you there's no need to worry.

Attend the INFOPASS with all your documents - it's not unusual for them to schedule an on the spot interview.
Thank you!

So my husband went to the uscis fo and even though without an infopass they let him in the second floor where they conduct the interviews. He spoke with a supervisor and showed him the interview appointment for friday and asked about the exhausted visas. The io checked and informed him that there is no more available visas and we should receive our cancellation notice in the mail. My husband asked why this is happening and the supervisor said that is never happened but the whole program is shutdown and the explanation for the io was because of the political condition in the country. He said that there are no more visas going to be issued for either country or region and that was it.... so what are we supposed to do now since we used our ead and we dont have a valid status to fell onto? Just leave? That is the worse nightmare ever

So my husband went to the uscis fo and even though without an infopass they let him in the second floor where they conduct the interviews. He spoke with a supervisor and showed him the interview appointment for friday and asked about the exhausted visas. The io checked and informed him that there is no more available visas and we should receive our cancellation notice in the mail. My husband asked why this is happening and the supervisor said that is never happened but the whole program is shutdown and the explanation for the io was because of the political condition in the country. He said that there are no more visas going to be issued for either country or region and that was it.... so what are we supposed to do now since we used our ead and we dont have a valid status to fell onto? Just leave? That is the worse nightmare ever

Oh wow! Sorry to learn of this. I half suspected all along this new situation may have to do with the current political situation. It's clearly not like they indeed ran out of visas - my guess is that's simply the story they're being asked to tell going forward.

As to your current situation, it is sad you have no valid status to fall back on. This is precisely why I've always cautioned every about using the DV AOS based AP and/or EAD card. I recommend you and your husband speak with a knowledgeable immigration attorney for further guidance on the next step forward.

Just like the rug is being pulled from DACA beneficiaries, this administration is about to do the same to those with TPS also. Such a shame, what's going right now.

Oh wow! Sorry to learn of this. I half suspected all along this new situation may have to do with the current political situation. It's clearly not like they indeed ran out of visas - my guess is that's simply the story they're being asked to tell going forward.

As to your current situation, it is sad you have no valid status to fall back on. This is precisely why I've always cautioned every about using the DV AOS based AP and/or EAD card. I recommend you and your husband speak with a knowledgeable immigration attorney for further guidance on the next step forward.

Really sad to see that more and more people are being affected by this random decision. I agree with mom, it does not seem they they really ran out of visas. Now the statement the IO told Vanessa_m1's husband is kind of strong, does it mean entire DV-lottery program being shut down? If that is the case, how come KCC and USCIS do not state anything about that on their websites? Also nothing new regarding that on www.whitehouse.gov website.

This sucks. However, I cannot accept the political climate explanation. That is nonsense. There has been no law passed, and no EO either. So without that, there is no sudden change made because of "political climate". There is on the other hand clear and mounting evidence that they have run out of visas. Simply put - they have screwed it up. They went current far too soon - way before they knew about late submitted DS260s, marriages, births and so on. Bad management, not bad intent. And this comes from someone who is horrified at the clown show of an administration we are living with right now.

Hi Mom,
Are the people who already got their green cards in DV 2017 affected too? Can the immigration take away our green cards because of this political situation?

Where is your FO? Did the IO show the letter stating that they stopped the DV? I called USCIS, they do not know anything about it.

Hi Mom,
Are the people who already got their green cards in DV 2017 affected too? Can the immigration take away our green cards because of this political situation?

No they cannot retroactively take your GC. It was legally issued.

Just like the rug is being pulled from DACA beneficiaries, this administration is about to do the same to those with TPS also. Such a shame, what's going right now.

That's awful. From helping the most vulnerable to not caring about them at all - I guess that sums up the shift from one administration to the next :(

This sucks. However, I cannot accept the political climate explanation. That is nonsense. There has been no law passed, and no EO either. So without that, there is no sudden change made because of "political climate". There is on the other hand clear and mounting evidence that they have run out of visas. Simply put - they have screwed it up. They went current far too soon - way before they knew about late submitted DS260s, marriages, births and so on. Bad management, not bad intent. And this comes from someone who is horrified at the clown show of an administration we are living with right now.

I'd agree with this. In any case we'll know for sure when the FY visa numbers are released.