• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 Selectees

Hello,
We finally got our visas me and my husband after two weeks of AP, I want to thank you so much for your help!
I have a question: I am the principal applicant, however I cant travel to the US during this 6 months deadline of the visa, can my husband be the first one to enter the US even if he is a derivative and not the principal applicant?

Congratulations on your approval.

Unfortunately, your husband as a derivative cannot enter the US before you. He either has to enter with you or after you. And I hope you do realize if you don't enter the US within the six months' validity period of your visa, that is basically the end of it all. All the efforts and resources would have been for nothing.

Hello,
We finally got our visas me and my husband after two weeks of AP, I want to thank you so much for your help!
I have a question: I am the principal applicant, however I cant travel to the US during this 6 months deadline of the visa, can my husband be the first one to enter the US even if he is a derivative and not the principal applicant?

No. Your husband cannot travel before you, and you will not be able to extend the visa expiry date, so you must travel before the expiry.

Hi All!

I am writing to you on this thread as I am looking for similar cases that were processed for last year's lottery.

My girlfriend has been selected for further processing in the 2018 Diversity Immigrant Visa Program with the following case number: 2018EU000145xx We are planning to get married before she submits the DS-160 form, which looks like the best way to go based on previous experiences found on the Internet.

- Based on her case number, how long can we wait until she submits the form to start off the process? We want to have as much time as possible to get married without lessening the chances to get a Visa. It is our understanding that we can submit up to early May 2018 but some people advise against that.

- Is the following timeline realistic?
*March/April 2018: Legal Marriage
*April 2018/Early May 2018: Submission of the DS-260 form along with the marriage certificate
*June - August 2018: Medical & Interview at the Embassy
*December 2018: Deadline for first activation trip
*December 2019: Final deadline to move permanently to the US

Was anyone in a comparable situation for the DV 2017 Lottery, i.e. did anyone submit the DS-160 in April or May the year after the selection?

Many thanks for your help,

Q.

Last edited:
Hi All!

I am writing to you on this thread as I am looking for similar cases that were processed for last year's lottery.

My girlfriend has been selected for further processing in the 2018 Diversity Immigrant Visa Program with the following case number: 2018EU000145xx We are planning to get married before she submits the DS-160 form, which looks like the best way to go based on previous experiences found on the Internet.

- Based on her case number, how long can we wait until she submits the form to start off the process? We want to have as much time as possible to get married without lessening the chances to get a Visa. It is our understanding that we can submit up to early May 2018 but some people advise against that.

- Is the following timeline realistic?
*March/April 2018: Legal Marriage
*April 2018/Early May 2018: Submission of the DS-260 form along with the marriage certificate
*June - August 2018: Medical & Interview at the Embassy
*December 2018: Deadline for first activation trip
*December 2019: Final deadline to move permanently to the US

Was anyone in a comparable situation for the DV 2017 Lottery, i.e. did anyone submit the DS-160 in April or May the year after the selection?

Many thanks for your help,

Q.

If you guys have decided to get married to enable you benefit from her selection as a derivative, you guys should do so as soon as possible - why wait almost a year to do so? Of course you should be prepared to prove your marriage isn't a sham marriage.

Yes we do say one could possibly wait until May before submitting the DS260 form. However you need to keep in mind the fact that this year is over selected, you don't want to end up finding out at the end of your interview, or just before that there are no more visas. Plus either of your could also end up on AP, you want to make sure you have enough time to clear that and be issued with your visas before the end of the FY. If you submit your DS 260 form in May, you might as well be looking at an August/September interview date.

You need an I-134, a W-2 or 1040 is one of the supporting documents for the I-134. The one you need depends on if your sponsor is employed by someone else or self employed, your sponsor will know the right one.

my sponsor is employed by a company, which one I need 1040 or W-2?

Hi every body
Yesterday me and some DV selectees did the interview in US embassy in Khartoum-Sudan, the embassy received our documents and told us that they will send our documents to Washington and the decision will be taken there whether they give us or not the visa and they contact us when they received the decision. Also the embassy gave us two papers in one indicated that we are in Administrative Process.

If you guys have decided to get married to enable you benefit from her selection as a derivative, you guys should do so as soon as possible - why wait almost a year to do so? Of course you should be prepared to prove your marriage isn't a sham marriage.

Yes we do say one could possibly wait until May before submitting the DS260 form. However you need to keep in mind the fact that this year is over selected, you don't want to end up finding out at the end of your interview, or just before that there are no more visas. Plus either of your could also end up on AP, you want to make sure you have enough time to clear that and be issued with your visas before the end of the FY. If you submit your DS 260 form in May, you might as well be looking at an August/September interview date.
Hi there,

Thanks so much for your reply, that's very helpful. I think that we will try to get married around February then so that we have time to prepare and also do not put our visas at risk. Can you also confirm that one has 1 year max from the 'activation trip' to move permanently to the US?

Again, thanks for your help.

Q.

Hi there,

Thanks so much for your reply, that's very helpful. I think that we will try to get married around February then so that we have time to prepare and also do not put our visas at risk. Can you also confirm that one has 1 year max from the 'activation trip' to move permanently to the US?

Again, thanks for your help.

Q.

I cannot provide you an official link that says you certainly have up to one year following activation before making the final move.

However I can say CBP has been known to allow LPRs back into the country following an absence of 6 - 12 months immediately following the activation trip because they understand people need to return home and tie up loose ends. It of course doesn't mean they cannot question the long absence on your return.

This is probably not the 'for certain/guaranteed' response you're seeking, but it's the best I can give and tend to give. Some else may choose to response and tell you yes, absolutely. But I know that is not a right, it is merely a courtesy CBP extends by showing they understand. Only a USC is guaranteed the right of being allowed by into the US.

Hey guys so im in the final stages of receiving my green card but i've ran into a bit of a problem. I have to log in and pay a fee of 220 usd for some reason its asking for my case number and alien reg number that can be found on my immigration form, but when i arrived in the u.s i handed in at lax and they kept it. im not sure how else to find these numbers. every one ive tried says account error and one of the numbers is wrong? any ideas?

Hey guys so im in the final stages of receiving my green card but i've ran into a bit of a problem. I have to log in and pay a fee of 220 usd for some reason its asking for my case number and alien reg number that can be found on my immigration form, but when i arrived in the u.s i handed in at lax and they kept it. im not sure how else to find these numbers. every one ive tried says account error and one of the numbers is wrong? any ideas?
  • Visa Stamp
You can also find your A-Number and DOS Case ID on the visa stamp (also called a visa foil) in your passport, as shown in the picture below.

• Your A-Number is identified as the Registration Number on your visa stamp. If your A-Number is fewer than 9 digits, insert a zero after the “A” and before the first digit to create a 9-digit number. For example, “A12345678” would become “A012345678.”
  • Your DOS Case ID is identified as the IV Case Number on your visa stamp. However, please note the IV Case Number has two additional numbers at the end, such as 01 or 02. When entering the IV Case Number as the DOS Case ID, do not includethe last two numbers. For example, if your IV Case Number is “ABC1234567801,” you would enter your DOS Case ID as “ABC12345678” (do not include the “01”).

visa-stamp.jpg

https://www.uscis.gov/file-online/immigrant-fee-payment-tips-finding-your-number-and-dos-case-id

Your post has been moved from the AOS 2017 Thread - that Thread is set apart for Selectees processing AOS, please make sure you post on the right thread (I've moved other posts of yours a couple of times in the past), or your post may get deleted.

Hi
I received my 2NL on 28th March 2017. I immediately requested for an appointment with IOM Nairobi and they gave me dates 6th/7th April 2017. My Xray had abnormalities and i had to undergo further tests. I did the tests on 11/12/13 April 2017 and was advised the results would be out on 16th June 2017. The dates between my last test and interview day were less than 2 months so I tried to reschedule my appointment online but the system could not allow me.

I went for my appointment on time on 8 May 2017. However, I was informed i could not proceed without my medical results from IOM. I then sent a request for rescheduling on 9 May 2017 a day after the appointment day, that's when the system allowed me to submit my request. So literally since April 7th I have been trying to get an appointment date but in vain. Is there another way someone can use other than emailing, calling and checking the system if the calendar is active. IOM cleared me and am afraid time is running out.

Please help.

Last edited:
Hello,
Please I have a question!
I am the principal applicant in DV 2017 I got married after I got selected and before I filled the DS 260, my husband and I both got our visas! My questions are:
1- Is he considered a CR?
2- we are planning to make our first entry next month, but I will have to go back yo settle some things, can he stay in the US, find a job and start living meanwhile?

Thank you for your help

Hello,
Please I have a question!
I am the principal applicant in DV 2017 I got married after I got selected and before I filled the DS 260, my husband and I both got our visas! My questions are:
1- Is he considered a CR?
2- we are planning to make our first entry next month, but I will have to go back yo settle some things, can he stay in the US, find a job and start living meanwhile?

Thank you for your help

1. What do you mean by "CR"?
2. Yes

Morning guys, This is my interview experience interview date 02/03/2017, 8:40. Consulate general Guangzhou china. I irrived at 8:00 at exactly 8:20 the gates were opend had to go through the security check which took quite some time once through I was given two numbers first was to submit my documents... documents asked police non criminal certificate for both my country of Birth and for china since I'm residing in china, birth certificate, medical report, passport and two visa photos. Next was payment then interview. Waiting time 15 minutes.
Interview:
The CO was very friendly gentleman
1, took an orth
2, fingerprints.
3, Two questions (A)what are you currently doing in china? Answer ********** (B) what's your working experience? Answer**************. At this point I must say I couldn't hide my smile.
Interview time: less than one minute.
So currently I'm on AP pending submission of my O Level certificate which should be arriving at the consulate sometime next week. It has been a long but good experience thanks to this forum and the moderators you guys are doing a good job I can't thank you enough.

Hello...I wonder if you can still see this post and tell me if the embassy in Guangzhou asked for an AOS or not because I am also residing in China. Thank you so much