• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

The "been there done that" thread: life in the US after DV

Well it's a sad day, but I have decided to officially give up my Greencard and move back to my home country.
I have been here since the middle of March and after trying so hard, have been unable to obtain a job.

It hasn't been a pleasant experience, but I think I can at least say I tried to live my dream and it just didn't work out.

I just wish the GC wouldn't have been such a waste :(

Thanks for sharing. It serves as a wakeup for people that think it will be easy.

Official numbers show there are millions of jobs available., BUT they won't necessarily be in the field you want, the level you want or the location you want. If you can't compromise on those things, it can be tough to find work. On the other hand, I STRONG:Y advise people to lower their sights and be prepared to be flexible.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/jolts.nr0.htm

Thanks for sharing. It serves as a wakeup for people that think it will be easy.

Official numbers show there are millions of jobs available., BUT they won't necessarily be in the field you want, the level you want or the location you want. If you can't compromise on those things, it can be tough to find work. On the other hand, I STRONG:Y advise people to lower their sights and be prepared to be flexible.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/jolts.nr0.htm

Oh, I lowered them plenty.
I have a Masters in Forensic Science, and I was even applying for cleaning jobs and administration and receptionist work, especially where I am (even though I didn't want to stay where I am... I just wanted any job anywhere).
Just feel like no one cares, not a single company got back to me and it's just been depressing having my money dwindle away with nothing to show for it.

This really is not the land of opportunity at all.
I wish someone could have given me a chance, that's all... one chance.

I think it's unfair to say this is not the land of opportunity, given so many can and do make it. I have an Aussie friend for whom it took six months to get that first job.

Sorry it didn't work out for you.

I think it's unfair to say this is not the land of opportunity, given so many can and do make it. I have an Aussie friend for whom it took six months to get that first job.

Sorry it didn't work out for you.

I'm just bitter because literally no-one has replied. If I'd had a couple of interviews, even if I didn't get the jobs, I'd feel a lot better... but the only replies I've had were auto rejections upon pressing "submit application" because I don't have the experience for retail jobs, it's very disheartening.

And circumstances beyond my control are forcing me to have a deadline for finding a job (AKA the people I'm staying with are having a baby in a month and I don't have the money or credit history to rent).

Like I'm literally willing to clean toilets for a living if it meant I could stay, but if no one is going to give me a chance then there's really nothing I can do.

I'm just bitter because literally no-one has replied. If I'd had a couple of interviews, even if I didn't get the jobs, I'd feel a lot better... but the only replies I've had were auto rejections upon pressing "submit application" because I don't have the experience for retail jobs, it's very disheartening.

And circumstances beyond my control are forcing me to have a deadline for finding a job (AKA the people I'm staying with are having a baby in a month and I don't have the money or credit history to rent).

Like I'm literally willing to clean toilets for a living if it meant I could stay, but if no one is going to give me a chance then there's really nothing I can do.

Have you read the advice on the net about how US companies like resumes set up, and on how to submit ones that don't get autorejected?

Have you read the advice on the net about how US companies like resumes set up, and on how to submit ones that don't get autorejected?

Yeah, I've taken many tips from resume sites on setting it up like a US one, and my friend looked it over too said it was fine.
I think it might be to do with, my degrees, which I have no experience working with, while other jobs like cleaning, they might see me as overqualified? Not really sure.

With the auto-rejections, it's all just been retail jobs. Mostly because they ask "Have you ever had retail experience?" which I haven't and I won't lie because my resume confirms I've never done retail. (That and I'm socially inept)

I'm thinking now I might go home, re-evaluate my options and then perhaps try again in a couple of months to make a go of it when things will be a bit more aligned for me.
Perhaps it just hasn't been the right timing for me. Sorry if I've been grumpy about it all. I did have all the dreams and aspirations and it really is hard to see them crumbling before my eyes. Someone, hand me some glue so I can fix this mess I call my life. LOL

Yeah, I've taken many tips from resume sites on setting it up like a US one, and my friend looked it over too said it was fine.
I think it might be to do with, my degrees, which I have no experience working with, while other jobs like cleaning, they might see me as overqualified? Not really sure.

With the auto-rejections, it's all just been retail jobs. Mostly because they ask "Have you ever had retail experience?" which I haven't and I won't lie because my resume confirms I've never done retail. (That and I'm socially inept)

I'm thinking now I might go home, re-evaluate my options and then perhaps try again in a couple of months to make a go of it when things will be a bit more aligned for me.
Perhaps it just hasn't been the right timing for me. Sorry if I've been grumpy about it all. I did have all the dreams and aspirations and it really is hard to see them crumbling before my eyes. Someone, hand me some glue so I can fix this mess I call my life. LOL

To ask what might be an obvious question, I assume you've also had your degree evaluated by an agency like WES and been applying for jobs for which you are actually qualified? If the latter, is the area you are living in a good one to look for jobs like this? Certain jobs have a very definite regional or urban bias.

To ask what might be an obvious question, I assume you've also had your degree evaluated by an agency like WES and been applying for jobs for which you are actually qualified? If the latter, is the area you are living in a good one to look for jobs like this? Certain jobs have a very definite regional or urban bias.

I'm pretty sure my degree's are useless anyway as they require 1-2+ years experience for most science jobs, even lab-work, which unfortunately, I've never had (the vicious cycle of "can't get experience without a job but can't get a job without experience" routine).
I had been planning on living in North Eastern Coast as they have a fantastic science community however I knew no-one there and moved to the Mid-Atlantic area to live with a friend.

I probably should have just gone North East but I knew I'd be overwhelmed having never lived out of home before and couldn't face moving country and being completely alone all in one hit with no support, I probably would have given up on this dream faster since my money would have been drained a lot quicker than it has (my friend has been a godsend.)

And yes, Mid-Atlantic area has just really not a great place in general for any jobs it seems, let alone science. But I just need any job at all to get me started and don't need a career, it's not like I moved here to do science, I just moved so I could be here, in this place that always felt like home to me.

I wouldn't give up just yet. If this is a long held dream, three months is a fairly short time to be wanting to throw the towel in.

I wouldn't give up just yet. If this is a long held dream, three months is a fairly short time to be wanting to throw the towel in.

Thanks so much for the support, though, my friend is moving in 1 month and shortly after she's having her baby which means I'm out of the picture, also my job back home has offered me a position that I need to accept by the end of the month or they'll find someone else.

So for time sake, I'll go back, get a bit more money so I can come back a bit later with a bit more flexibility. Since it's only over 1 year we need a re-entry permit right? And giving myself a timeline of another 6 months to re-asses seems like a good option?

Good idea to get a re-entry permit. Go back to Oz, get some work experience until your belt. You can be out for two years with a re-entry permit and then come back in when you're more stable.

That way, you're not giving up your dream. You're just deferring it for a while.

I'm pretty sure my degree's are useless anyway as they require 1-2+ years experience for most science jobs, even lab-work, which unfortunately, I've never had (the vicious cycle of "can't get experience without a job but can't get a job without experience" routine).
I had been planning on living in North Eastern Coast as they have a fantastic science community however I knew no-one there and moved to the Mid-Atlantic area to live with a friend.

I probably should have just gone North East but I knew I'd be overwhelmed having never lived out of home before and couldn't face moving country and being completely alone all in one hit with no support, I probably would have given up on this dream faster since my money would have been drained a lot quicker than it has (my friend has been a godsend.)

And yes, Mid-Atlantic area has just really not a great place in general for any jobs it seems, let alone science. But I just need any job at all to get me started and don't need a career, it's not like I moved here to do science, I just moved so I could be here, in this place that always felt like home to me.

When you say you are "sure" your degrees are worthless etc, I guess you've answered no to my question. Which is a real pity that you seem to have just decided in advance not to even try?? And yes, moving to areas that are bad for jobs means that the few jobs available tend to be lower skill that employers are inundated for - as you've found. I must say, it's a pity that you had the courage to move to the US but not take it that step further. Did you not even apply further afield with a view to moving if you had been offered something in the northeast (or wherever)? I wish we had had this discussion few months ago before your money got drained and time ran out. Honestly I think your experience would have been quite different if you'd applied in areas you are qualified in - as you say you're disheartened at not even getting any interviews, and that would probably not have been the case in your field. Every field has entry level jobs, even if they may be a bit harder to find than ones that require some experience.

Edit: just seen the update about a "job back home", well there you go. Get some experience and come back.

When you say you are "sure" your degrees are worthless etc, I guess you've answered no to my question. Which is a real pity that you seem to have just decided in advance not to even try?? And yes, moving to areas that are bad for jobs means that the few jobs available tend to be lower skill that employers are inundated for - as you've found. I must say, it's a pity that you had the courage to move to the US but not take it that step further. Did you not even apply further afield with a view to moving if you had been offered something in the northeast (or wherever)? I wish we had had this discussion few months ago before your money got drained and time ran out. Honestly I think your experience would have been quite different if you'd applied in areas you are qualified in - as you say you're disheartened at not even getting any interviews, and that would probably not have been the case in your field. Every field has entry level jobs, even if they may be a bit harder to find than ones that require some experience.

Edit: just seen the update about a "job back home", well there you go. Get some experience and come back.

For the first 2 months I was here I applied for jobs in my degree field, especially the entry level ones as I have no experience, but never heard back so lowered my expectations to office work and then eventually lower still to cleaning. It really put me off and I did start applying less because it was just so depressing, I figured, what's the point. I even applied all over the country, so yeah, it's been very emotionally draining, to the point where I thought I should just end it all (yes, in THAT way).

So I'll get my funds back with a few months of work at home then try again.
This time, I'll actually go where the jobs are, damned be high rent... because if being in the area gives me a better chance at a job then I'll do it :)

This time, I'll actually go where the jobs are, damned be high rent... because if being in the area gives me a better chance at a job then I'll do it :)

There's no other way to do it, really.

There was a guy on my home country forum who'd gone back home after 2 years of an unsuccessful job hunt, claiming the US sucked and no jobs were available. But he'd moved to Detroit because housing costs were so low. Housing costs in Detroit are so low because it has (or at least at that stage had) consistently the highest unemployment rate in the country. You gotta go where the jobs are.

Incidentally I would have suggested continuing to look for jobs in your field even while lowering your sights. While the US has plenty of opportunity, it also has plenty of competition for jobs and 2 months is a pretty short time in any newcomer job hunt, much less entry level ones.

In any case I'm glad to hear you've decided to give it a second go. Good luck with the next step and maybe update us when you decide to come back?

Time for some firm advice. If you can't find retail work in America, you really are not even trying.

IF you are "socially inept", you might not want to focus on retail.

If you want retail experience, walk through a mall or town center with resumes in hand and walk in to retail stores that look interesting. Some may even have "help wanted" adverts.

For many jobs foreign degrees are NOT useless, but experience is almost more important. So - have a careful think how to get experience (entry level opportunities).

Then finally have a careful think about your own ability. It takes guts and gumption to make a go of living in a new country. It is a land of many opportunities, but you need to get off your arse and grab them. If you don't understand thsat sentiment, you probably don't have what it takes.

For the first 2 months I was here I applied for jobs in my degree field, especially the entry level ones as I have no experience, but never heard back so lowered my expectations to office work and then eventually lower still to cleaning. It really put me off and I did start applying less because it was just so depressing, I figured, what's the point. I even applied all over the country, so yeah, it's been very emotionally draining, to the point where I thought I should just end it all (yes, in THAT way).

So I'll get my funds back with a few months of work at home then try again.

Just keep it cheap and get share a room from craigslist. It also helps with a social side of things since you can chat with your flatmate.

I had a job offer before I'd left Australia by kinda pretending I was in the USA. Get a skype number and use a USA address then fly over for the interview!

Well it's a sad day, but I have decided to officially give up my Greencard and move back to my home country.
I have been here since the middle of March and after trying so hard, have been unable to obtain a job.

It hasn't been a pleasant experience, but I think I can at least say I tried to live my dream and it just didn't work out.

I just wish the GC wouldn't have been such a waste :(

Sorry to hear that.
May I ask where you lived and where you came from?

Hi @Quiwi have you also tried to tailor your CV and applied for jobs with say skills from your bachelors? You may be getting something wrong if you have had no single interview after three months of intense job hunt. For instance.. applying for an entry level skilled job or 'retail' job with a masters degree. Have you tried professional networking? Career fairs?
I wish I could personally review your resume and edu history for your skills because I find it hard to wrap my head around the fact that you're finding it hard to get an interview with a STEM background.