• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 Selectees

After giving it some thought, here's what we think is our most likely scenario:
- Principal applicant will probably have all the required documentation (including medical exam results) on the day of the interview.
- Spouse may be missing some documents at the time of the interview. Results from the medical probably won't be ready by then.

What would happen in this case; would we both be placed on AP? Is this a risky scenario?

I'm trying to think whether this scenario is ok or we should really push however we can to get the spouse's medical results in by the time of the interview.
Thank you!!

It's risky but probably with a good explanation and a medical exam date or pending results from the doctor, you might get AP or be rescheduled until all documents are ready. Try writing or calling the embassy and explain your situation.

Hello, please I have a question regarding my DV visa! I got married after being selected so that I can complete the DS260 and add my husband with me! We had the interview last week and our visas were approved, however, they called me today and asked me to bring a copy of the passport or the driving licence or any ID of they person who is hosting us! Is it normal? Do they ask everybody to provide them with it?
When I asked that person, he refused to send me his personal indentification documents, he told me that he found it weird!
What do you think? Is there a problem? What should I do?

Hello, please I have a question regarding my DV visa! I got married after being selected so that I can complete the DS260 and add my husband with me! We had the interview last week and our visas were approved, however, they called me today and asked me to bring a copy of the passport or the driving licence or any ID of they person who is hosting us! Is it normal? Do they ask everybody to provide them with it?
When I asked that person, he refused to send me his personal indentification documents, he told me that he found it weird!

You can try to explain to them the reason behind you asking for their ID, most people are reluctant due to identify theft but depending on your relationship to the host, it should be fine...if not get another host if possible... refusing to give you his license for example raises a red flag about their immigration status in the US... maybe.. I'm just speculating here

The idea of the sponsor or host is that it should be a person who knows you and cares about you. A family member, a close friend and so on. Someone like that would have no hesitation in giving you a copy of their driving license, or passport etc. The fact that the person doesn't want to provide that says something about your relationship to that person. Since that person is saying they will help you with money, accommodation or whatever - that obviously creates doubt about that relationship.

Most likely outcome is principal approved, spouse on AP pending submission of medicals. However in such a situation, some consulates will ask if the principal wants to wait too, to get both visas issued at the same time. That said...bear in mind you'd have different visa expiry dates either way (max 6 months from medicals date).
What may be the benefit of getting both visas issued at the same time? Can't think of why one may want to do this. Thanks!

Most likely outcome is principal approved, spouse on AP pending submission of medicals. However in such a situation, some consulates will ask if the principal wants to wait too, to get both visas issued at the same time. That said...bear in mind you'd have different visa expiry dates either way (max 6 months from medicals date).
Sorry for all the questions but it would be good to know what happens after one is put on AP. Will I have to request a new appointment at the Embassy to provide the documents that were missing on the interview date? Or can I just show up once I have them? This could make a difference because if I have to rely on scheduling another appointment I could risk not getting it done by the September 30 deadline....

Is there an estimate for how long it takes for AP cases to resolve?

What may be the benefit of getting both visas issued at the same time? Can't think of why one may want to do this. Thanks!

Uh...because you only need to visit once to pickup/use one envelope for both to be returned/spouse doesn't feel left out:/whatever other arbitrary reason you can think of.

Sorry for all the questions but it would be good to know what happens after one is put on AP. Will I have to request a new appointment at the Embassy to provide the documents that were missing on the interview date? Or can I just show up once I have them? This could make a difference because if I have to rely on scheduling another appointment I could risk not getting it done by the September 30 deadline....

Is there an estimate for how long it takes for AP cases to resolve?

Usually just send in to embassy. In the case of missing documents, AP is usually resolved quite quickly after the documents are received.

Uh...because you only need to visit once to pickup/use one envelope for both to be returned/spouse doesn't feel left out:/whatever other arbitrary reason you can think of.

Usually just send in to embassy. In the case of missing documents, AP is usually resolved quite quickly after the documents are received.
Thanks so much, @SusieQQQ !!!

Just to be sure, I do NOT need a Police Clearance Certificate from the US even if I've lived in the US for over a year, right?

hi everyone. i quick update.... today my visa was ISSUED. Im the happiest dude. just want to send a BIG thank you to #Britsimon #Sm1mom #SussieQQQ and the rest... you guys are doing amazing job. forever appreciated.

Great news! All the best for your move to the US :)

hi everyone. i quick update.... today my visa was ISSUED. Im the happiest dude. just want to send a BIG thank you to #Britsimon #Sm1mom #SussieQQQ and the rest... you guys are doing amazing job. forever appreciated.

Congrats on your approval and best of luck on this new journey :)

DV2017 winner - travel itinerary plausible?

I have relatives, DV2017 winners who jost got the visas, planning to enter US for the first time through Canada (after visiting family). Is the following travel itinerary plausible? They have double nationality (EU and non-EU / IV stamped on non-EU passport) :

1. Travel to Canada (air) with the EU passport after applying for ESTA
2. Travel to US (land) with the non-EU passport (the one having the immigration visa)

They are concerned whether there is a rule forcing them to enter US directly for the first time with an immigrant visa.