• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 Winners Meet Here

This was my interview experience at Nairobi consulate section, Kenya.

My interview was on 4th of Aug, so since I am working in Afghanistan I decided to take my leave on the 15th of July so that I can make it to medicals and then next week my interview so I got ready with all my paper work at my work place (police certificate) .Time came I was on the flight back home to Uganda but remember while planning all that interview and medicals I had not or even didn’t book for medicals I only had it written down that I will do medicals on the 20th of July :p:p:)hahah while I was processing my police letter sitting down in the waiting area I stated reading thru the forum to see some new posts that’s when I read and remembered that I had to book so I rushed and called before I sent the email that was on 20th and guess what 25th was full so she gave me 28th thanked her and sent the email to with equipment’s Time was not on my side as I had planned left Ug for Kenya as my birth certificate was still in process so to make the story short finished up the medicals( two days) and my Birth certificate was sent on a bus on the 3rd so meaning I had to pick it first thing in the morning before heading to the embassy .

4 30am I was up 5 am at the bus got my paper work at 6am I was at the embassy at 630am went thru the security check up got my number and waited to be called all in all I was called 3 times to get to the CO

CO: Good morning
Me: morning
CO: raise your right hand and swear....
Me: yes ,I do
CO: what are yours names?
Me: X and Y
CO: What is your highest level of education school?
Me: X diploma
CO: Are you working?
Me: yes
CO: What are you doing (also what kind of work) and for how long have you been working?
Me: brrrrrrr
CO: Are you a supervise in you work area?
Me: yes
CO: How many people do you supervise?
Me: brrrrrr
CO: Can you explain again the duties you do at your work place?
Me: brrrrrr
CO: Wait 5 min I will be back
Me: OK, ……. “CO gets back after 2 min ……
CO: Do you have someone in the us ?
Me: yes, my sister
CO: How did she get to live in the state?
Me: lottery 2010
CO: Ok Sir your visa has been approved you will pick up your visa at your DHL brrrrrrrrrr
Me: Thank you mamu…….out I went

To all selectees that haven’t been interviewed yet this is what i noted please don’t be like me cause I was messing around with time please get ready as early as possible and also noticed that if your paper work is relay organized by the time you mite the CO the Visa is approved faster cause when the CO called me all she was doing was typing on the computer but when she told me your visa has been approved she just pulled out the blue recite with my case number written on with a red pen approved I didn’t see her write anything so meaning my interview was done all she needed was to hear how I defend my self-that’s all ,.. Interview took only 5mins if not the waiting 2mins.

I went back to work for two months I will be heading to California in Nov .Funny that some people are calling me crazy cause I came back to work not for getting that I need that pocket monieeee,,

I got the Green card visa cause of my working experience not cause of my high school yes I had one principal pass and the subsidiary pass but I didn’t not perform well so if you are like me don’t forget to fill and explain on DS-260 about your working …

As they all call themselves SUPER MODERATORS they are really super Susie, Mom and Britsimon, all other moderators God bless you and am still a member

Maybe you'll want us all to hear how it went.

I arrived at the embassy at 5:50a.m.
The gate is still closed,so we had to wait outside in queues till the guards open the gates at around 6:45a.m.A security personell instructs us to place our 2NL(interview appmnt letters) along with the ds-260 confirmation page, inside our passports.
Within no time,we start making the entrance at the main gate,one person at a time.
We undergo a further security check at the security office.Here,we leave our items & remain only with the document then proceed to the front desk at the embassy.At this stage,we are given a number,a sheet to fill in our names and a copy of dv instructions for us to read while chillaxing at the waiting bay outside.

Step 1;
After a couple of minutes am called to counter 10,whereby am asked to produce my Birthcert,KCSE,Police Cert and the Passport.After verification,am directed to go to the cashier's counter to pay the Visa fee then come back with the receipt.

Step 2;
At this point,am called to another counter where i have my fingureprints taken, then i'm instructed to go once again to the waiting area and wait to be called to another counter for interview.

Step 3;

After a roughly 30 minutes,my number is called to the counter for interview.

CO:greets me
Me:I respond to the greetings
CO:asks me to swear that what am gonna say is true.
Me:I swear.
CO:tells me to place fingures of my right hand on a fingureprint machine.
CO:Asks if i'm married
Me:I say am single
CO:Asks the name of my host
Me:I answer back
CO:Asks how am related to my host
Me:blablabla
CO:The state my host lives in
CO:If i have any children
Me:I don't have children.
CO:How much & in what currency i paid for the fee.
Me: I paid in USD,$330
CO:)Congratulations visa has been approved,then gives documents entailing the procedures to register with the dhl courier service through which my Visa will be channeled to me.I'm also given a white paper with instructions on how to pay the greencard processing fee.

Within 4 business days i had my Visa at hand.What i'd advice is-go prepared and with confidence and don't give info. or produce a doc when not requested to do so.Goodluck.

Last edited:
The gate is still closed,so we had to wait outside in queues till the guards open the gates at around 6:45a.m.A security personell instructs us to place our 2NL(interview appmnt letters) along with the ds-260 confirmation page, inside our passports.
Within no time,we start making the entrance at the main gate,one person at a time.
We undergo a further security check at the security office.Here,we leave our items & remain only with the document then proceed to the front desk at the embassy.At this stage,we are given a number,a sheet to fill in our names and a copy of dv instructions for us to read while chillaxing at the waiting bay outside.

Step 1;
After a couple of minutes am called to counter 10,whereby am asked to produce my Birthcert,KCSE,Police Cert and the Passport.After verification,am directed to go to the cashier's counter to pay the Visa fee then come back with the receipt.

Step 2;
At this point,am called to another counter where i have my fingureprints taken, then i'm instructed to go once again to the waiting area and wait to be called to another counter for interview.

Step 3;

CO:)Congratulations visa has been approved,then gives documents entailing the procedures to register with the dhl courier service through which my Visa will be channeled to me.I'm also given a white paper with instructions on how to pay the greencard processing fee.

Within 4 business days i had my Visa at hand.What i'd advice is-go prepared and with confidence and don't give info. or produce a doc when not requested to do so.Goodluck.

Congratulations and all the best for your new life in the US!

Step 1;

Step 2;

Step 3;

Wow. That's pretty much fluid. Thanks for the reply. Hopefully, ours goes same.

Sure, you are welcome. As soon as lab results come back negative, as is expected, follow up politely yet very firmly up with US Consulate's IV department on next steps, i.e. appointment, biometrics and DV payment. There is no reason for you not to attain the visa, subsequent to your family, in this case. Be persistent!
@EURO2014 and all other mods... I finally got a slot on 16th September.... I was interviewed again yet am the derivative but same questions my spouse was asked. Visa approved... it was a close shave considering we only hard 10 business days to the close of the FY. Thanks everyone.

Hello mods and all bloggers,
I finally received my visa today on 26th Nov 2016 after a long wait. our 1st interview was on 4th August 2016 where my wife (PA) and kids got their visas while i was put on hold awaiting medical clearance.My medical tests turned negative on 1st Sep 2016 was re-booked for another interview (bio-metrics,visa fee payment) on 16th Nov. everything was o.k and today i have the visa though it has an annotation for USPHS and its expiry period is 5 months but i am very lucky to have it on the nick of time!!
I have learnt that patience,time consciousness and perseverance plus being truthful really helps. I sincerely thanks all the mods and other active forum bloggers for your invaluable input as a i prepare to depart to the US.God bless you abundantly.

I finally received my visa today on 26th Nov 2016 after a long wait. our 1st interview was on 4th August 2016 where my wife (PA) and kids got their visas while i was put on hold awaiting medical clearance.My medical tests turned negative on 1st Sep 2016 was re-booked for another interview (bio-metrics,visa fee payment) on 16th Nov. everything was o.k and today i have the visa though it has an annotation for USPHS and its expiry period is 5 months but i am very lucky to have it on the nick of time!!
I have learnt that patience,time consciousness and perseverance plus being truthful really helps. I sincerely thanks all the mods and other active forum bloggers for your invaluable input as a i prepare to depart to the US.God bless you abundantly.

Happy to hear!! All the best for your move to the US.

Hi all. I entered in the POE on the 1 of April 2016, but came back in my country after 2 weeks. I know that I can stay out of USA for less than one year (does that mean I can turn back one week before 1 of April 2017?), but I'm wondering if I can stay more than one year out of USA borders? I'm still studying (phd studies). Is that any way for me to stay 2 years out of USA and than transferring in States after graduating? Thank you

Hi all. I entered in the POE on the 1 of April 2016, but came back in my country after 2 weeks. I know that I can stay out of USA for less than one year (does that mean I can turn back one week before 1 of April 2017?), but I'm wondering if I can stay more than one year out of USA borders? I'm still studying (phd studies). Is that any way for me to stay 2 years out of USA and than transferring in States after graduating? Thank you

If you stay out longer than a year you are considered to have abandoned your green card. You can stay out for up to 2 years if you apply for a re-entry permit, but you can only apply for that from within the US. So you'd need to come back and do that - but it can take some weeks to submit the form and do biometrics for that, even if you choose the option to have the permit sent to your home country for your collection once it's complete.

Congrats and best of wishes in your new life in the US. :)

If you stay out longer than a year you are considered to have abandoned your green card. You can stay out for up to 2 years if you apply for a re-entry permit, but you can only apply for that from within the US. So you'd need to come back and do that - but it can take some weeks to submit the form and do biometrics for that, even if you choose the option to have the permit sent to your home country for your collection once it's complete.
So, can I fly to States 1 one week before the 1 of April (the date I entered POE), staying for other 2 weeks and turn back to my country?

So, can I fly to States 1 one week before the 1 of April (the date I entered POE), staying for other 2 weeks and turn back to my country?

Technically yes but if you only fly in for a couple of weeks once a year you're going to get your green card revoked sooner or later. Please do a google search for the requirements to maintain a green card, you are supposed to be living here. They don't seem to mind one long stretch out after activation for people to sort things out before they move over but more than one, as you are proposing, starts raising questions.

Here's a start:
https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/maintaining-permanent-residence

Technically yes but if you only fly in for a couple of weeks once a year you're going to get your green card revoked sooner or later. Please do a google search for the requirements to maintain a green card, you are supposed to be living here. They don't seem to mind one long stretch out after activation for people to sort things out before they move over but more than one, as you are proposing, starts raising questions.

Here's a start:
https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/maintaining-permanent-residence
Yes, I know, but I have to finish my studies first and than transferring definitively . Which the most safe way?