• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

1. Re EAD/AP card: WAIT! Processing time could be 3-6 months, you've not gone above that yet.

2. Your call. You can do a monthly INFOPASS or wait a bit longer. Again, your CN only became current in Mar, if I'm not mistaken, so your case hasn't experienced an unusual delay yet.
Thanks mom yes thats true my case nuber became current only in March

Hi all!

I am ready to send my AOS package. I received my DV fee stamped receipt on saturday and today I got my medical test results back. I have a question on how to organize all the documents on the package. I was ordering the documents similar to how it is shown on the required documents tab of the excel spreadsheet. Is this alright? Also, I was reading the instructions for g-1145 and it says to put it in front of the package. What about the early filing memo? Should it be at the beginning? Besides all the documents on the spreadsheet do you guys recommend adding anything else? I was thinking on sending the DS-260 and the confirmation of the DS-260, is it ok to add it?

Last question, on the USCIS website, they give two addresses depending if you use "USPS" or "Express mail and courier." For "USPS", is that all mailing through USPS? or just standard shipping. USPS has the priority express mail option.

Thanks again for all the help.

So my wife and I have already received our GCs. My wife recently got her SSN at the local SSN office too. I've had an SSN for quite some years now having lived in the US for some time. But, my card says "Valid For Work Only With INS Authorization" on it. Since, presumably, I have "INS Authorization" as a result of my GC, should I still apply for a new SSN card? And, if/when I get a new one, can I keep the old number, or will it be a new one? Thanks in advance.

So my wife and I have already received our GCs. My wife recently got her SSN at the local SSN office too. I've had an SSN for quite some years now having lived in the US for some time. But, my card says "Valid For Work Only With INS Authorization" on it. Since, presumably, I have "INS Authorization" as a result of my GC, should I still apply for a new SSN card? And, if/when I get a new one, can I keep the old number, or will it be a new one? Thanks in advance.

Yes, apply for a replacement SSN card - your SSN remains the same for life. You'll be issued with a replacement card without the DHS restrictions written on it.

If your wife obtained her SSN with an EAD card, it's also a good idea to get a replacement SSN card. It's better to have a SSN card without the DHS restrictions for your records.

USC - U.S. Citizen
LPR - Legal Permanent Resident

Since your father isn't based in the US, that option may not be considered by the IO
Thank you Mom for your quick response!! I am kinda sad right now because I don't know what to do, i do not have any family member presently here in the U.S except my brother who is also a student in the states thus the reason why my father is the only sponsor I have that lives abroad. What do you suggest me in this case? Should I call the USCIS and tell an officer about my current situation or there is no solution to it?

Thank you Mom for your quick response!! I am kinda sad right now because I don't know what to do, i do not have any family member presently here in the U.S except my brother who is also a student in the states thus the reason why my father is the only sponsor I have that lives abroad. What do you suggest me in this case? Should I call the USCIS and tell an officer about my current situation or there is no solution to it?
Don't be sad, another solution is show a bank statement that shows that you have enough money. You need an American bank account for this though. I think $21000 for individual are enough but my lawyer told me that would be better to show at least $60000 to be in the safe side. I hope that you can transfer enough money to solve the situation in this way. Obviously another alternative would be having a job offer with annual salary over the poverty guidelines (again around $21000)

Don't be sad, another solution is show a bank statement that shows that you have enough money. You need an American bank account for this though. I think $21000 for individual are enough but my lawyer told me that would be better to show at least $60000 to be in the safe side. I hope that you can transfer enough money to solve the situation in this way. Obviously another alternative would be having a job offer with annual salary over the poverty guidelines (again around $21000)

:D:p Ah, lawyers. Sorry, I'm laughing at that, because if that was the requirement for DV AoS just about no-one would succeed. You could support a family of 8 (yes, eight!!) for a year and a half on that according to the poverty guideline, to put it in perspective. https://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty-guidelines

Your $21K on the poverty guidelines is actually for a family of 3 - again check that link in the preceding paragraph. $12000 for an individual would be more like it .

:D:p Ah, lawyers. Sorry, I'm laughing at that, because if that was the requirement for DV AoS just about no-one would succeed. You could support a family of 8 (yes, eight!!) for a year and a half on that according to the poverty guideline, to put it in perspective. https://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty-guidelines

Your $21K on the poverty guidelines is actually for a family of 3 - again check that link in the preceding paragraph. $12000 for an individual would be more like it .

He told me that is risky to prove that you are above the poverty guidelines just for one year. They could argue with that if you get a picky officer. That's the reason why would be safer to show more than a single year, especially if unemployed.
Maybe Mom will be more precise on that

He told me that is risky to prove that you are above the poverty guidelines just for one year. They could argue with that if you get a picky officer. That's the reason why would be safer to show more than a single year, especially if unemployed.

So an individual needs to show they have 5 years worth of poverty guideline according to your lawyer to be "safe"? Yeah, can't wait for mom to weigh in on this one indeed :D

By the way a student is not unemployed according to the technical definition, and even if the main way to overcome public charge is working, obviously a student mainly needs to show they can support themselves till they graduate and get a job. I don't see how a sum that honestly means hardly anyone who's ever posted in this forum at the time of aos would qualify can be considered reasonable, and I'm surprised your lawyer actually believes that. I'm guessing it's an outcome of another lawyer who has done a zillion work or family-sponsored AOS cases (where you're either earning already or official affidavits of support are always involved) and not many DV ones and therefore is doing.. what most of these lawyers seem to do when they get a DV case...trying to figure it out as they go along. In the meanwhile I believe you are unnecessarily spooking most of the people here by throwing sums like that around.

Last edited:

There is some basis for what the lawyer is saying. The guidelines for public charge matters describes that assets are valued against the FPG at one fifth of their value. So - if a sponsor (completing an I-864 for a non DV case) was trying to meet an FPG of $25000, and showed no income, and only assets then the assets (which must be liquid or semi liquid) would need to be $125,000. That is where the 5 years comes from - although the guidelines mention this in cases where income comparison shows a shortfall against FPG. INCOME of the sponsor is therefore MUCH more useful in meeting the FPG than assets.

Now, DV cases do NOT use the I-864 and the guidelines say that the stricter formulas of the I-864 will not be applied to the I-134, there is a little more leniency in DV cases. However, I would agree with the lawyer that a DV case being presented with only personal savings of the selectee is being a little foolish. Especially to a interviewing officer dealing with I-864 cases all day. It is much easier to get an I-134 from a friend who cannot be forced to meet the commitment described on the I-134 in any case (unlike the I-864).

Lastly, I am aware of at least one embassy (Stockholm) that routinely asks for HUGE sums of savings ($75k for a single applicant) to be shown, but is satisfied with a properly completed I-134.

There is some basis for what the lawyer is saying. The guidelines for public charge matters describes that assets are valued against the FPG at one fifth of their value. So - if a sponsor (completing an I-864 for a non DV case) was trying to meet an FPG of $25000, and showed no income, and only assets then the assets (which must be liquid or semi liquid) would need to be $125,000. That is where the 5 years comes from - although the guidelines mention this in cases where income comparison shows a shortfall against FPG. INCOME of the sponsor is therefore MUCH more useful in meeting the FPG than assets.

Now, DV cases do NOT use the I-864 and the guidelines say that the stricter formulas of the I-864 will not be applied to the I-134, there is a little more leniency in DV cases. However, I would agree with the lawyer that a DV case being presented with only personal savings of the selectee is being a little foolish. Especially to a interviewing officer dealing with I-864 cases all day. It is much easier to get an I-134 from a friend who cannot be forced to meet the commitment described on the I-134 in any case (unlike the I-864).

Lastly, I am aware of at least one embassy (Stockholm) that routinely asks for HUGE sums of savings ($75k for a single applicant) to be shown, but is satisfied with a properly completed I-134.

Have you ever heard of an AOS case officer demanding to see $60k in the bank account of an individual though? My bad perhaps but in the years I've read this forum I've never seen anything like that.

I'm just reporting what my lawyer told me, I'm not trying to scare anyone. I wasn't happy too when he said that but luckily I have found a job meanwhile so whenever I will do my interview I will show up with that.
The fact of being students doesn't matter because you can apply for an employment authorization and start working while still studying (which is what I'm personally doing right now, since I'm here with a J-1 and I'm doing a PhD plus working).
Another thing is that people that are requesting E VISA to open a business must present a large amount of money in order to be approved so I'm not surprised if they apply a similar behavior to a Green Card which is even more long-term and important than a business VISA. But this is just my personal point of view

Have you ever heard of an AOS case officer demanding to see $60k in the bank account of an individual though? My bad perhaps but in the years I've read this forum I've never seen anything like that.

No, not that I can remember, but then we routinely advise students to present an I-134, and people on working visas tend to pass on their own salary, or again, present an I-134.

Hello All... I have Received Conformation Email and Text Today..
Yes - I know. But my point is YOU don't know what your LAWYER did. Or when they did it.
Hi Britsimom and Sm1smom... i have received confirmation email and text from USCIS Today morning.... Thanks a lot for your help...

Another thing is that people that are requesting E VISA to open a business must present a large amount of money in order to be approved so I'm not surprised if they apply a similar behavior to a Green Card which is even more long-term and important than a business VISA. But this is just my personal point of view

It makes perfect sense that a business or investment visa requires a large amount of money....you know, to make sure the business is actually viable. Otherwise every tom dick and Harry out there would be opening "businesses" as cover to move to the US without the bother of having to get a green card ....you've already got a bunch of people trying to do this using L visas (buying or setting up 'businesses' so that they can 'transfer managers'. Of course the lawyers are very keen to assure them all that they won't be among the many rejections.) My opinion therefore definitely does differ from yours on this one. Most of the people who get DV visas (and I am talking everyone, not just AOS) have nowhere near $60k in the bank when they get those visas, some don't even have $12k, many don't even get asked to show any financial proof, so similar standards are definitely not applied as a matter of course.

That said without ah I134 this may be yet another person who wishes they had chosen CP rather than AOS as an easier and less stressful overall route.

Hey all-

I had my interview yesterday morning. It went well but didn't get a decision on spot, the officer gave me a piece of paper saying my applications is pending further review or something like that. But got my CPO in late afternoon!

Thanks for all the support and help guys! Good luck to everyone :)