• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2017 DV LOTTERY COUNTDOWN TO MAY

Good luck people. If I remember correctly, it took me about 14 tries until I got selected, and it wasn't even on the first draw, rather on the second one back when they sometimes did a second one to reach the target number of visas.

Don't give up hope, if you don't get selected continue improving yourself and try again, and maybe even one day you can migrate another way because of your education or professional skills. Other than the US, there is Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the UK. Great countries as well, and they have points based systems that could work for you.

Best wishes to you all :)

Good luck people. If I remember correctly, it took me about 14 tries until I got selected, and it wasn't even on the first draw, rather on the second one back when they sometimes did a second one to reach the target number of visas.

Don't give up hope, if you don't get selected continue improving yourself and try again, and maybe even one day you can migrate another way because of your education or professional skills. Other than the US, there is Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the UK. Great countries as well, and they have points based systems that could work for you.

That's awesome and a great message of persistence. How are you liking it now over there? How long has it been?

Hey Rafi,

Great post! I was also DV2013 and interviewed around the same time as you!

Out of interest, did KCC send you an email about an update to the ESC page, or otherwise notify you of the second draw in October?

No notification about the second draw, and I almost didn't check again. If my memory helps, when they put up the 2nd NL online, they emailed me that my status has been changed.

No notification about the second draw, and I almost didn't check again. If my memory helps, when they put up the 2nd NL online, they emailed me that my status has been changed.

Thanks. Wow, how bad of them not to notify you...I wonder how many people missed the draw :(
I know in DV2012 when they had the messup with the original draw - and a lot of people didn't realize there had been a redraw - they started contacting selectees later in the FY to ensure they knew they had been selected. It's the only year I've heard of that happening, though. Still, I did think that if there was a second draw they would have notified selectees to check the website!

How are you liking it now over there? How long has it been?

Been 2.5 years so far, and counting the days to become a citizen.

It has been something else. One of life's best experience, from being selected to receiving the visa. It's true that one goes through some nervousness and you keep wondering what if something goes wrong, especially if you're put on Administrative Processing, but when it's all history you will look back fondly at it all.

Being in America, especially if you come from a third world country like myself, is pure joy. You probably know how everything in those countries is a struggle against corruption, disorder, bribery, and dysfunctional bureaucracy. This makes doing even the simplest things here a joy because you compare it in your mind to how it's done back home. I sometimes even go out for a drive without going anywhere, just to enjoy the open clean roads where people stick to their lanes and stop at traffic lights etc. :p The physical green card itself is a beauty that I can't stop admiring to this day, and sometimes I don't even believe that I actually have it in my hand. I wish you will all get to enjoy these feelings, whether here or in another country where you can live your dreams :)

I know in DV2012 when they had the messup with the original draw - and a lot of people didn't realize there had been a redraw

I remember that incident, and I can't imagine the heartbreak of those who were informed that they made it only to later be told that it was a mistake... Wow! :(

It has been something else. One of life's best experience, from being selected to receiving the visa. It's true that one goes through some nervousness and you keep wondering what if something goes wrong, especially if you're put on Administrative Processing, but when it's all history you will look back fondly at it all.

Being in America, especially if you come from a third world country like myself, is pure joy. You probably know how everything in those countries is a struggle against corruption, disorder, bribery, and dysfunctional bureaucracy. This makes doing even the simplest things here a joy because you compare it in your mind to how it's done back home. I sometimes even go out for a drive without going anywhere, just to enjoy the open clean roads where people stick to their lanes and stop at traffic lights etc. :p The physical green card itself is a beauty that I can't stop admiring to this day, and sometimes I don't even believe that I actually have it in my hand. I wish you will all get to enjoy these feelings, whether here or in another country where you can live your dreams :)

Thank you! I wish the same and your story is giving me hope. How was the transition for you over there in terms of first finding a job, home, car all of that stuff. Which country are you from?

Thank you! I wish the same and your story is giving me hope. How was the transition for you over there in terms of first finding a job, home, car all of that stuff. Which country are you from?

Cairo, Egypt. Actually I'm not the best one to advise on the transition, since I already had ample savings that I transferred to the US and been living on them as a retiree :) Generally though if you are someone who respects the law and has good work ethics you should be successful in building a good live.

I have had it in the back of my mind until this month came around. If I'm not a lucky winner this year I plan to try again next yes .... I didn't really bother much until April came around.... now I can't get it off my mind ..... yes ... no giving up ..... and at the same time stay positive

Cairo, Egypt. Actually I'm not the best one to advise on the transition, since I already had ample savings that I transferred to the US and been living on them as a retiree :) Generally though if you are someone who respects the law and has good work ethics you should be successful in building a good live.

Awesome thanks for sharing!

Rafi, thanks for sharing, great posts, and I find myself it those words above...similar experience in my country. And I hope someday I will too get the chance to live in a country where one knows his rights and obligations.

P.S. I was in Cairo twice as a tourist. From that perspective you have a remarkable history.

My goodness, 14 tries till you got selected. What a story to tell, I'm so happy for you

At first I thought everyone has a good chance of getting accepted, going over the replies in the past months made me see the real picture. I'm excited to see how the results will show up

I myself thought of Australia while applying because a friend mine told me about it, but since since I already spent 7~8 years in the States, I somehow feel that the US is the only place for me.

I'm glad to hear such stories

Great story Rafi and good to know you are enjoying your retirement in the U.S. This is my second time trying and I'm hoping that one day I will have the opportunity to enjoy that feeling of having a green card with my name in my wallet or hands :)

That sounds like pure bliss, loved reading your point of view! Thanks for sharing! Makes me even more excited :)