Letter from Department of State. (Passport Question)

Danh tran

I sent in my passport last month. Today, I came home and received a letter that says this:

Thank you for your recent passport application. If you have already obtained a Certificate of Citizenship issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), please submit this document to our office. If a Certificate of Citizenship has not been obtained, please submit the following:

⦁ Evidence of legal admission to the United States for permanent residence such as your Permanent Resident Card/Green Card, foreign passport containing a 1-551 visa entry stamp, or documentation from the USCIS verifying your legal entry; or

⦁ At least three (3) early public records that show your presence in the United States on or near your date of legal entry such as school, census, or medical records.

⦁ A combination of documents such as school, tax, medical, or court records that documents you were in the legal and physical custody of your U.S. citizen parent(s) after you entered the United States for lawful permanent residence and before your 18th birthday.
--------------------

So, if I just send them my Green card then we should be good to go? My green card actually expired on October 2014. I let it expire since i was filing a n600 for my CoC anyway, will the expired Green card be a problem? They just want to know my entry to the U.S. was legal that's all right? Thanks for your time and advice!

I'm Trying to derived citizenship from my father so far i dont know if I have enough supporting documents for a passport. I did the n600 application last month with the same documents and got a receipt, but I find out this can take months i need to leave the country with my job in February. Am i eligible for a passport I was born out wedlock mom and dad never got married she never made it to the US I been here since under 18 my dad got his citizenship when I was 10 got my LPR when I was 12, my mom died back home when I was 14 they finally made her death certificate October 5, 2015 when I requested it that's 21 years later, it was signed by a judge and also the National archives, will they deny my passport application because the death certificate was made this year, but it still say she died in 1994? So far i have the following documents.... BIRTH CERTIFICATE, DEATH CERTIFICATE, FATHER CERTIFICATE OF CITIZENSHIP, MY LPR and my foreign PASSPORT the only 5 evidence i can come up with to prove my citizenship ANY ADVICE?? ...............thanks

I'm sorry Jackson,
It seems my situation and yours are a little different. I suggest you go apply yourself and find out... I don't suggest going to the post office though, because I went to 2 different post office and they didn't even let me apply! One said I'm not a citizen so I shouldn't apply... So I went to another one and the lady told me they would need to do a system search and it would cost me an additional $150... Maybe I just have bad luck, but USPS didn't help me at all! Just a waste of time waiting in line to be told I couldn't apply.. So, go to your county clerk...
I hope this helped you and good luck!

I'm Trying to derived citizenship from my father so far i dont know if I have enough supporting documents for a passport. I did the n600 application last month with the same documents and got a receipt, but I find out this can take months i need to leave the country with my job in February. Am i eligible for a passport I was born out wedlock mom and dad never got married she never made it to the US I been here since under 18 my dad got his citizenship when I was 10 got my LPR when I was 12, my mom died back home when I was 14 they finally made her death certificate October 5, 2015 when I requested it that's 21 years later, it was signed by a judge and also the National archives, will they deny my passport application because the death certificate was made this year, but it still say she died in 1994? So far i have the following documents.... BIRTH CERTIFICATE, DEATH CERTIFICATE, FATHER CERTIFICATE OF CITIZENSHIP, MY LPR and my foreign PASSPORT the only 5 evidence i can come up with to prove my citizenship ANY ADVICE?? ...............thanks

P.s. I applied for a certificate of citizenship in July also, still at the local office when I checked the status... So the passport is the way to go in my opinion. Good luck again!

P.s. I applied for a certificate of citizenship in July also, still at the local office when I checked the status... So the passport is the way to go in my opinion. Good luck again!
Danh: thanks for taking the time to reply back I'm looking forward to roll the dice tomorrow and hopefully i get lucky.. Thanks for the luck and your time

You got it! Sorry I wasn't able to completely answer your question.. One last thing though, after reading your post again, I think you should be good to go. N600 and passport gave the same requirements basically.. People have said that the department of state is a little easier than uscis.. Again, that's what I heard so don't take my word for it. Keep me posted, I would love to know if you made any progress and will try to help if i can.

You got it! Sorry I wasn't able to completely answer your question.. One last thing though, after reading your post again, I think you should be good to go. N600 and passport gave the same requirements basically.. People have said that the department of state is a little easier than uscis.. Again, that's what I heard so don't take my word for it. Keep me posted, I would love to know if you made any progress and will try to help if i can.
OK i decided to roll the dice and send the passport application this morning however they took over 30 mins going over the documents at the clerk office, and then Finally gave them the 200 dollar for expedite and a 25 dollar application fee. the guy told me i should get my passport in the mail March 1st that's like 3 weeks from today, because my N600 form still at the local office

Awesome! I'm pretty sure you're good to go! I don't they would have accepted your application if they thought it was enough evidence to prove your citizenship status. By the way, you will not be getting your green card back once your passport is approved. You will receive a letter saying that they sent it to USCIS. Good luck!!

Awesome! I'm pretty sure you're good to go! I don't they would have accepted your application if they thought it was enough evidence to prove your citizenship status. By the way, you will not be getting your green card back once your passport is approved. You will receive a letter saying that they sent it to USCIS. Good luck!!

I hope they return my green card cause am gonna need it for my N600 interview with uscis, and for some reason the guy that was going over my documents force me not to send my dad original Birth certificate and translation he told me it's not important so I didn't. He was trying to get me not to send my mother's death certificate when I know for a fact that hav a lot to do with Ina321.

No idea, but it would be good to take along, I would think. They have a record of your status, so I don't know if failure to provide the current GC, when you have a letter from State that says they withheld it and sent it directly to CIS, would be a problem. It might even be in the file when you go to take your oath.

Well, when USCIS calls me in for an interview. I'll bring my letter from the DoS stating that they kept my GC and my US Passport... I hope that will be sufficient.

No, I'm not sure. I am trying to come to a logical conclusion. This would be my thinking if I were in your position. I'd see the letter from State, and take it as proof for DHS. People lose their GCs after all, and it's not even grounds for removing someone from an oath ceremony. In this case, you are already a citizen.

But, you say someone you know had trouble? What kind of trouble, and how did it turn out?