• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Permanent address on application is no longer correct.

nynke86

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone!

I was selected this year, and when I sent my application to KKC I filled out the forms just like I was asked to do.
At that moment, my permanent address would be with my friend in Arkansas. I will still live with her, but she has moved house since. Is this going to be a problem when I go to my interview? If so, what do I have to do to correct this? Or can I just tell the officer who interviews me and correct it right there and then? I haven't gotten invited yet.

Nynke

Go for your INTERVIEW for the record i don't think they verify your address in the state, my address i used the in AUSTIN TX has change but i did not alter the process and now i have my visa with me.Address is not a big deal and don't start looking for Financial proof because they don't need that also.

Ok, you had a successful interview, congratulations on that. However based on that, don't start advising people wrongly!

The purpose of asking selectees to provide a US address is not for background checks or verification purpose. This is for the purpose of having somewhere to mail your GC and SSN to. So if the address you initially provided is no longer where you will be staying, it's in your own best interest to update that information either during the interview or at your POE just like Sussie suggested to the OP.

Also the fact that you were not asked about financial proof does not mean DV applicants are general not asked to show. As a matter of fact, it's a standard requirement in some embassies. Plus being able to show financial proof is equally to the applicant's advantage anyway wether it is required or not. If one is not able to show such proof, how does that person intend to support him/herself in the US anyway?

Thank you for your replies! I will just mention it during the interview I think. That should be alright. :)

I agree with yu Simon, for requirements like b/ statement I think might be a requirement especially to students and non employed winners coz the CO will have to ask yu what is yua current occupation to test yua income coz how can yu support yuaself if yu do not earn.

Hello everyone!

I was selected this year, and when I sent my application to KKC I filled out the forms just like I was asked to do.
At that moment, my permanent address would be with my friend in Arkansas. I will still live with her, but she has moved house since. Is this going to be a problem when I go to my interview? If so, what do I have to do to correct this? Or can I just tell the officer who interviews me and correct it right there and then? I haven't gotten invited yet.

Nynke

Simply email KCC with your new address. That's what I did and got emailed back saying my forms were updated.

It's probably also worth reminding people that once you are in the US, until you become a citizen you need to inform USCIS of change of address within 10 days.

Holy cow - I didn't know that!

Yes, and technically you can be stripped of your green card for not complying (!) though I presume that is reserved for exceptional cases and you'll just find yourself $200 out of pocket instead, should they find out.

----

Background

All non-U.S. citizens (aliens) who are required to be registered are also required to keep the USCIS informed of their current address. This is particularly important when you have filed an application or petition for a benefit under the Immigration and Nationality Act and expect notification of a decision on that application. In addition, the USCIS may need to contact you to provide other issued documents or return original copies of evidence you submitted.

Penalties for Failure to Comply

A willful failure to give written notice to the USCIS of a change of address within 10 days of moving to the new address is a misdemeanor crime. If convicted, you (or parent or legal guardian of an alien under age 14 who is required to give notice) can be fined up to $200 or imprisoned up to 30 days, or both. The alien may also be subject to removal from the United States. (INA § 266(b)). Compliance with the requirement to notify the USCIS of any address changes is also a condition of your stay in the United States. Failure to comply could also jeopardize your ability to obtain a future visa or other immigration benefit.

http://www.uscis.gov/addresschange

Hello everyone!

Nynke
You still can change it later, the KCC knows americans move a lot so they won't block you just for a changed addresss.

hello!,
Please everyone how can i change my address, i'm suppose to live in AUSTIN TX and now i will be living in Houston.TX, so i want to change my address on my application to Houston.TX which i will be there in a few days time and i have paid for USCIS fees already.

hello!,
Please everyone how can i change my address, i'm suppose to live in AUSTIN TX and now i will be living in Houston.TX, so i want to change my address on my application to Houston.TX which i will be there in a few days time and i have paid for USCIS fees already.

You don't need to change it my friend , you can now enter and live in where ever it suits you in usa .

You don't need to change it my friend , you can now enter and live in where ever it suits you in usa .

He does need to change it. He needs to change it so they send his green card to the correct address.

However the question has been answered numerous times and I am going on strike from answering questions when people can't be be bothered to read back/do a search. The question was answered earlier in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Just like Sussie wrote, he needs to make the change. Of course, if he trusts the people living at previous address to receive his GC and forward it to him in Houston, then he may not bother to make the change, but I wouldn't recommend that!

While it is true that a GC is free to reside anywhere in the US, as a matter of fact, you are required to update your address with USCIS any time you move, within 10 days of the move, unless the move is of a temporary nature.

Just like Sussie wrote, he needs to make the change. Of course, if he trusts the people living at previous address to receive his GC and forward it to him in Houston, then he may not bother to make the change, but I wouldn't recommend that!

While it is true that a GC is free to reside anywhere in the US, as a matter of fact, you are required to update your address with USCIS any time you move, within 10 days of the move, unless the move is of a temporary nature.

...which is also mentioned a few posts above! ;)