• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2013 DV Australian winners

Does anyone know if outstanding traffic infringements can be an issue with the police check?

A while back I had a warrant issued as I fell behind in payments. No arrest, but I am still paying them off.

I am getting conflicting information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve,

Some quick points, as i noticed your questions regarding moving to NYC. I am a 2010 winner who moved to NYC.

Accommodation:

1) If single and unattached, i would initially look at short term/temporary housing; less risk involved if things don't turn out the way you expect.

2) Accommodation was probably the biggest challenge i faced when moving to NYC (for me the job was the easy part);
I was even lucky enough for my work to initially put me up; it would have been so much more brutal had that not been the case.
But it was still a challenge after that.

a) If you get your own place, assuming you don't have a US credit score you will have to pay at least 2 months rent up front as a security deposit. Plus you standard months rent up front and any other first time set up fees.

b) If you see a place you like, take it, it probably won't be available if you hesitate (without a credit score, this isn't as easy to close however).

c) In many of the 'nicer' areas in Manhattan you will be probably be looking at 3k per month in rent.

Work:
- Make sure you are networking and making contacts before you arrive. It will be hard IMO to get people to look at you while out of the country; but will be helpful to have some contacts when you arrive. Be mindful, for many people the current climate isn't to easy on the job front; but don't lose heart their are still jobs out there; this is not the universal experience. I work in IT and had a job even before i arrived, i would say quite easily.

Health Insurance:
- I used seven corners inbound immigrant health insurance to cover me and my family initially until my employer insurance kicked in. You might want to look at that.

Credit:

- One of the other biggest challenges for most people. It isn't easy to get a credit rating in the US. But it is fundamentally important.
- If you can, and it looks like you are going to be sticking around for a while; get a phone contract and start paying 'bills' asap to help build this credit score. There is also pre-paid credit cards which i believe are also most helpful. So you might want to look at legitimate options there.
- If you have an AMEX card already, do a global transfer (to the US). This is brilliant (regardless of whether they transfer any existing credit history or not). Without a credit score, a credit card application won't be approved. If you can transfer your existing amex however, you will have a credit card in the US already which is the best way to build your credit score.

I moved to NYC with my wife and son almost 2 years ago and love it. It is a great place, it must be one of the most amazing cities in the world. Enjoy!!!

AJK

Good luck for your interview, I had mine a few weeks back, all went well. Dont be nervous - The only things I was asked was, When was I planning on going, Was I married, had children and have I lived overseas before. (I had lived in Beijing for two years - but this wasnt an issue, I just needed a Police Check from China) I was surprised they didnt even ask how I planned to support myself while looking for work, and which City I was thinking of moving too.

Im going to move to NY. It would be good to get your opinion on what you plan to do for accommodation when you arrive and your thoughts on Health/Travel Insurance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys,

So - I'm curious on more information on the medical exam for Aussies.

The whole 'disrobing' thing is creeping me out a bit haha.

I can't really find anyones post on exactly how the medical exam in Australia is done, how naked are you supposed to get?! One post I read from a lady in Nepal said she had to stand naked for like 2 minutes while the doctor 'looked her over'.... But other things I've read have just said you're in the hospital gown type thing and that's it..?

Anyone willing to share their medical experience in Australia? I'll be doing mine soon, so I'm really nervous.. :|

Hi Jess, you are applying for a visa? I've just returned online (moved to Western Australia over Christmas) and just read your post :)

Warm wishes

Q

Anyone willing to share their medical experience in Australia? I'll be doing mine soon, so I'm really nervous.. :|

Nothing to worry about. At my November medical in Sydney, everything that could be done clothed, like blood pressure, was done with clothes on. The doctor asked me to disrobe for some of the tests, but only down to underwear and socks, and only for a very brief time. I happened to be wearing boxer shorts so I didn’t even feel undressed. The doctor did reach in however and do “the cough test”, which I had never experienced before and am in no particular hurry to repeat. (I didn’t even know doctors did that any more, but I’ve since read that it’s a legit test for hernia.) It wasn’t creepy though. The doctor was extremely professional and a good communicator – talking me through everything he was doing. Also, separately, I removed my shirt for the chest x-ray, but was offered a gown and private changing room.

Hi Jess, you are applying for a visa? I've just returned online (moved to Western Australia over Christmas) and just read your post :)

Warm wishes

Q

Hey Q, yep - finally sorted out the family based visa, but have been struggling to get good information with people to talk to about the move so I thought I'd come back and ask around on here, same process basically but people on here are much more talkative and helpful :p That's a big move! Hopefully soon you'll be making an even bigger move to the US! :)

Nothing to worry about. At my November medical in Sydney, everything that could be done clothed, like blood pressure, was done with clothes on. The doctor asked me to disrobe for some of the tests, but only down to underwear and socks, and only for a very brief time. I happened to be wearing boxer shorts so I didn’t even feel undressed. The doctor did reach in however and do “the cough test”, which I had never experienced before and am in no particular hurry to repeat. (I didn’t even know doctors did that any more, but I’ve since read that it’s a legit test for hernia.) It wasn’t creepy though. The doctor was extremely professional and a good communicator – talking me through everything he was doing. Also, separately, I removed my shirt for the chest x-ray, but was offered a gown and private changing room.

Thanks! Oh, so you didn't have to really be naked at all, except underwear? Were you allowed to keep the gown on for the x-ray? I'm really not looking forward to even having to be in my underwear haha. I'm the type of person who thinks more clothes the better...

Hi all! I am an Australian DV visa selectee also, refreshing the bulletin daily and hoping for my number to come up. Feels like a long wait, but as soon as I'm current I'm sure time will start moving too quickly! Hoping to become current for March. The forums have been a big help answering some of the questions I've had along the way.

Hey Jen,
My number is almost certain to become current in March. Depends on where you are in the 8xx range, you might too! Exciting eh? And nerve-wracking too. But it'll be good to get it over with finally.

I went ahead and got the Police Checks going already, just last week. I'm having to get two - from Oz and Canada. The Canadian one should be quick since I'm living in Canada and did digital prints. But the Oz one has me worried if I've left it too late, despite doing it before getting notified. Because the check is being requested from overseas, I had to get ink fingerprints done and mail the forms and original prints to Canberra from here in Canada. The AFP has said the check will likely take 20 to 25 working days from receipt :( Add the mail time to that and I'm a bit nervous. Nothing would be worse than to get to the interview and not have the police check ready. Worry, worry, worry! :eek:

Good luck to you!

Hi all! I am an Australian DV visa selectee also, refreshing the bulletin daily and hoping for my number to come up. Feels like a long wait, but as soon as I'm current I'm sure time will start moving too quickly! Hoping to become current for March. The forums have been a big help answering some of the questions I've had along the way.

Hey Jen,
My number is almost certain to become current in March. Depends on where you are in the 8xx range, you might too! Exciting eh? And nerve-wracking too. But it'll be good to get it over with finally.

I went ahead and got the Police Checks going already, just last week. I'm having to get two - from Oz and Canada. The Canadian one should be quick since I'm living in Canada and did digital prints. But the Oz one has me worried if I've left it too late, despite doing it before getting notified. Because the check is being requested from overseas, I had to get ink fingerprints done and mail the forms and original prints to Canberra from here in Canada. The AFP has said the check will likely take 20 to 25 working days from receipt :( Add the mail time to that and I'm a bit nervous. Nothing would be worse than to get to the interview and not have the police check ready. Worry, worry, worry! :eek:

Good luck to you!

I'm in the low 800's so fingers crossed! I got my police checks done yesterday at the station, and all my immunisations done last month. Can't wait for that Bulletin update!

I'm in the low 800's so fingers crossed! I got my police checks done yesterday at the station, and all my immunisations done last month. Can't wait for that Bulletin update!

How'd you know which shots to get btw? We went to Africa a few years ago so had some shots for that but not sure about the rest, nor which specific ones to get.

Yes, can't wait for the bulletin. Definitely this week.

How'd you know which shots to get btw? We went to Africa a few years ago so had some shots for that but not sure about the rest, nor which specific ones to get.

Yes, can't wait for the bulletin. Definitely this week.

I've been with the same doctor for a while, so I could see what I'd had in the last 5 years in my records. Turns out, I hadn't had any of the required ones since early High School, over 10 years ago, so I had to get all of them. The painful bit was how much it cost. It worked out to be about 10 needles and one oral vaccine, plus a booster in a few months. And my husband was in the same boat, so times the cost by 2. It's all recorded now though, so at least I have peace of mind.

I've been with the same doctor for a while, so I could see what I'd had in the last 5 years in my records. Turns out, I hadn't had any of the required ones since early High School, over 10 years ago, so I had to get all of them. The painful bit was how much it cost. It worked out to be about 10 needles and one oral vaccine, plus a booster in a few months. And my husband was in the same boat, so times the cost by 2. It's all recorded now though, so at least I have peace of mind.

Yeah, ouch! the cost! Already felt that with the fingerprinting and police checks. I found the name of the panel doctor here and he charges $275 each for the medical. And that's not including the needles. We have to fly to Montreal for the interview, so we'll be out a few thousand bucks in total by the time this is done. Luckily my husband's got rellies there so we don't have to pay for accommodation and it'll be a good excuse to visit them.

Yeah, ouch! the cost! Already felt that with the fingerprinting and police checks. I found the name of the panel doctor here and he charges $275 each for the medical. And that's not including the needles. We have to fly to Montreal for the interview, so we'll be out a few thousand bucks in total by the time this is done. Luckily my husband's got rellies there so we don't have to pay for accommodation and it'll be a good excuse to visit them.

Yep, I heard it's about $300 each here for the medical, and we'll have to fly to Sydney for the interview from Brisbane and pay for a hotel. Totally worth it all though as soon as I get that approval! It was good to catch up on immunisations anyway, I was very behind. The DV visa is forcing me to take better care of my health :)

Hey aussies,

Also current in March :) Very exciting!

For the fingerprints - did you guys do ink or livescan? Did you do the form online then print then go in to the local station?

Hi all,

I have been through the whole ordeal and come out successful!!! Had the interview in Sydney January 8th and was approved and my visa has been issued.

So excited but nervous at the same time.

If anyone has any questions they wish to ask, be more than happy to help.

And also be good to hear from others from Australia who have been approved to help each other out with the big move to the US!! I am from Melbourne.

Congratulations Riise and good luck to all the Aussies who have their interviews coming up soon :)

As usual I am filling my days and come May 1 will see if this will be our year!

Warm wishes,

Q

Melbourne Medical Query

Hi all,

I have been through the whole ordeal and come out successful!!! Had the interview in Sydney January 8th and was approved and my visa has been issued.

So excited but nervous at the same time.

If anyone has any questions they wish to ask, be more than happy to help.

And also be good to hear from others from Australia who have been approved to help each other out with the big move to the US!! I am from Melbourne.

Hi Riise!

Congrats on your recent interview success. When are you planning on making the big move? Do you have a location in the US where you plan to settle?

I'm also a winner from Melbourne, and have my visa interview scheduled in Sydney in March. I've just booked my medical with Dr Charles in Port Melbourne and I'm having visions of standing there practically naked while he examines me with a magnifying glass. Are you able to provide any info on your experience? After the blood test and X-ray, are you able to tell me what was physically checked?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Riise!

Congrats on your recent interview success. When are you planning on making the big move? Do you have a location in the US where you plan to settle?

I'm also a winner from Melbourne, and have my visa interview scheduled in Sydney in March. I've just booked my medical with Dr Charles in Port Melbourne and I'm having visions of standing there practically naked while he examines me with a magnifying glass. Are you able to provide any info on your experience? After the blood test and X-ray, are you able to tell me what was physically checked?

Thanks in advance!

Hi AusGirl,

Thank you and I wish you all the best for your up and coming interview. I am planning the big move in May/June and heading for NYC!

Trust me, I was thinking the same thing. I was even imaging the old thumb going up you know where...but it isn't that bad. He does a quick physical check, nothing major. And all he asked was the drop the shorts and the underwear, he a quick look (no magnifying glass) and that was it. The physical is harmless.
You enter Dr Charles' office first for the physical check, then came the blood test then the X-Ray. About 3 weeks later, I picked up the results after getting 2 immunisations first and that was it.

Nothing to stress over.

Good luck again.

And pending you are successful with your interview which I am sure you will be, where would you be planning on settling?