applying for dual citiznship,, how to for dual us and philippines

garymcquate

What is the process for applying for dual citizenship?. I am a US born citizen and want to retire to the Philippines and I am wondering what is the process for applying for dual citizenship of both countries? What forms and information are needed and what is the expected time frame of the process from start to finish. And where do you go to start the process??
Do i have to do it in the Philippines or can the total process be done from this country?

thank u in advance for any help and advise you may give

Do you have Filipino parents or all-american. If you have Filipino parents, you can be a Filipino citizen by birth.

The problem with applying for another citizenship when you are a citizen of the USA, is you pledge to renounce your citizenship with other countries. You may have to apply for citizenship to another country, and re-apply to re-acquire your old citizenship as a dual citizen afterwards.

BTW, you don't have to be a Filipino citizen to retire in the Philippines.

The problem with applying for another citizenship when you are a citizen of the USA, is you pledge to renounce your citizenship with other countries.

This is not true at all. First, you might be referring to the Oath of Allegiance, which says renounce "allegiance and fidelity" not "citizenship". Second, the U.S. has no control over what other citizenships you have -- it is each country's sole prerogative to determine who are its citizens. And the U.S. never asks you to renounce other countries' citizenships.

It is true that a few countries say that if you acquire another citizenship voluntarily, then you automatically lose that original country's citizenship; but in that case, it's that country's doing, not the U.S.'s.

p.s. this is a very old thread