OCI Collection

ramvij24

Registered Users (C)
I have a question about sending US passports for OCI visa stamping. Looks like they have removed all links from Indian Consulate NYC page.

They ask to send $20 by way of postal money order for documents to be received by mail. Do I have to send self-addressed envelope with the postage + $20 or do I send the $20 money order and they take care of addressing and sending it back.
Also do I just send the copy of the surrender certificate?.

I would appreciate if someone who has gone through the process could let me know.

Thanks,

Ram.

Ramvij,

I went personaly to collect the OCI cards. But there are some postings regarding this in New York tracker by jpboston.. please read them.

I have a question about sending US passports for OCI visa stamping. Looks like they have removed all links from Indian Consulate NYC page.

They ask to send $20 by way of postal money order for documents to be received by mail. Do I have to send self-addressed envelope with the postage + $20 or do I send the $20 money order and they take care of addressing and sending it back.
Also do I just send the copy of the surrender certificate?.

I would appreciate if someone who has gone through the process could let me know.

Thanks,

Ram.

Thanks JPBoston for the info. It's really helpful. The status shows that the OCI has been received at NYC yesterday. Do you think I need to wait a few days to send the documents for visa stamping or can I send it right now. I am afraid they will somehow loose my US passport and I have trip scheduled to India at the end of next month.

Ram.

I think it is a little painful to go in person to NYC, but for the peace of my mind it prefered that over sending the passports in mail. I tool bolt bus from 30th street station and it was a $22 round trip. They swapped the visa sticker for my wife and son, I checked it right there and they corrected that in 10 minutes.

Thanks JPBoston for the info. It's really helpful. The status shows that the OCI has been received at NYC yesterday. Do you think I need to wait a few days to send the documents for visa stamping or can I send it right now. I am afraid they will somehow loose my US passport and I have trip scheduled to India at the end of next month.

Ram.

I would like to go to NYC personally and have lunch at one of my favorite restaurants in NYC, but I am about 4 hr drive from there, plus have to go the previous night (hotel room), parking etc. Seems much easier to send it by mail.

oh okay.. i thought you are close to philadelphia.

I would like to go to NYC personally and have lunch at one of my favorite restaurants in NYC, but I am about 4 hr drive from there, plus have to go the previous night (hotel room), parking etc. Seems much easier to send it by mail.

Ram.

Ram, once the OCI gets to the CGI NY, they do seem to process it rather quickly. I got my passport with OCI sticker and OCI booklet back just a week after they received my submitted docs for OCI collection. Just make sure you are submitting everything I had detailed in my list. Also if you use USPS Express Mail for submission of US passport and docs for OCI collection, it will be quicker getting to the CGI NY than USPS Priority Mail that I had used to submit for collection.

The status shows that the OCI has been received at NYC yesterday. Do you think I need to wait a few days to send the documents for visa stamping or can I send it right now.

By all means, send in your passport right away. If the status says OCI has arrived in NY, why would you doubt that? It is indeed waiting in NY and so the sooner you send your US passport and docs in, the sooner you will get everything back.