7.EAD2003 3/15
8.danromeo 3/16

RFE CLUB:

1.realcool1
2.dec09filer 3/22
3.naas
4.kiwistar
5.kops 3/25

Good luck to Jay_T (postive energy being sent to u this morning) and F&F2009 (Praying your interview goes well tommorrow)....

Empress and Dallas hopefully your paperwork is ready to go....check out your route so u wont get lost (though you probably were there for fingerprints) and schedule time for rush hour etc so you dont get late....

remember guys if you think you need it take it in with you. If you think you probably dont need it but they could be mean and ask for it then put it in a small suitcase in the trunk of your car....if they ask for it you can go get it from the trunk of your car in a matter of minutes (avoids an RFE after interview)....I'll have a ton of stuff in my bag in the trunk....lol...I always overpack....ask my hubby who always end up carrying the bags...lol.....ten years of photo albums/scrap books/birthday cards etc....lol

Sorry for being overly nagging....just want all of us to get through this together and not leave someone behind in our group overly costly mistakes we could have avoided just by reminding each other...If you have any tips dont be shy to share....

I used the same A# my spouse had from her employment based I-485. When she received an RFE for her employment based case I replied to the RFE and also mentioned that there is family based I-485 pending (I included copy of approved I-130 and I-485 receipt). USCIS then transferred the employment based I-485 to Missouri Service Center or NBC which is where the family based petition was pending. My spouse also did not have to do the finger printing again as they already had it on record from her employment based case. She did however do the medical as medical needs to be submitted along with the I-485 petition. Hope this helps.

Yes! Thanks a lot. It seems that it is good to notify them that employment based I-485 is already pending when we file both I-130 & new I-485. So they continued to use same A# on new I-485. Good to knowthat.
Can you share I-130/I-485 tracking dates your spouse? I'll share mine once I filed it.

Dhlunar: Baltimore is famous for messing with your mind during interviews...they rarely approve on the spot. So its awesome you got approved same day.

Thanks! I don't remember if we asked the IO the status or if she just said it. She did say, "I am going to write an recommendation for approval to my supervisor for your case." She then explained when the letter and the card should be coming and told us what they had to say in terms of time frames. I do have to admit that I was worried that when she said she was recommending it be approved that it was going to sit on someones desk for a couple of weeks before being updated in the computer. I was completely surprised to receive a notice that I got an email from USCIS this morning. I was more nervous this morning while I waited for the message to load then I was yesterday.

My recommendation for everyone that is going for interview is to be organized. We had a binder of information (a majority of which we didn't need), and a photo album with some lose pictures. Don't worry about the quality of the picture. As other have mentioned if you have the slightest suspicion that it is needed then bring it, because it is better to be over prepared then to be sent an RFE or even referred to a Marriage Fraud Interview. In terms of dress, DO dress up, at least business casual. I was wearing a shirt and tie, and my wife was wearing a black suit.

Now, my wife would like to know if she can go to the SSA with the approval notice and her ID, before the card come in the mail, to request a new unrestricted SS card?

Oh, for those that did receive Welcome letters by mail (or know someone that did) are they sent from the district office or from NBC?

Did anyone here have a courthouse wedding w/o family and then get grilled for it at the interview? We are planning on having a big family wedding next year. The reason we need to wait so long is that his entire family lives in Israel so we needed to give them a lot of notice, plus give out parents time to gather the funds to pay for the event. But we couldn't afford not to get the legalities out of the way ASAP since my husband is on OPT, which is about to expire. We're both 23, have been together nearly 7.5 years (highs school sweethearts) and have lived together for the past 3 years. We have lots of pictures and documents to prove the validity of our relationship but I am worried about the circumstances surrounding our wedding, though I myself look at this as just a small piece to the puzzle. Any constructive insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Interview Done... Approved...

good luck to jay_t (postive energy being sent to u this morning) and f&f2009 (praying your interview goes well tommorrow)....

Empress and dallas hopefully your paperwork is ready to go....check out your route so u wont get lost (though you probably were there for fingerprints) and schedule time for rush hour etc so you dont get late....

Remember guys if you think you need it take it in with you. If you think you probably dont need it but they could be mean and ask for it then put it in a small suitcase in the trunk of your car....if they ask for it you can go get it from the trunk of your car in a matter of minutes (avoids an rfe after interview)....i'll have a ton of stuff in my bag in the trunk....lol...i always overpack....ask my hubby who always end up carrying the bags...lol.....ten years of photo albums/scrap books/birthday cards etc....lol

sorry for being overly nagging....just want all of us to get through this together and not leave someone behind in our group overly costly mistakes we could have avoided just by reminding each other...if you have any tips dont be shy to share....

Approved.......

Thanks dec09filer for the wishes. Your positivie energy really helped us!

We had the interview today morning (10 am) at Mount Laurel, NJ. The Interview Officer was very nice ... we took oath & my wife was asked to verify her personal information... passport, DL verification, I94s, EADs... Also, Yes/No questions....Simple questions were asked like how we met, who proposed and place of marriage. The IO asked for documents to support the marriage and we gave Joint House Deed, Joint Bank Accounts, Joint Health & Auto Insurance, Tax Returns for 2009 & 2008. The IO, then asked for photographs and went thro' the album. She didn't take any photograph. All of this took just over TEN minutes. Then, the IO said everything is fine and stamped (I-551) on my wife's passport. It seems, the Green Card will come within a couple of weeks or so.

We had the courthouse wedding w/o family just 2 months before filing 1-485, 1-130 and did not get grilled for it. I made photo collages of wedding and other pictures, and I0 took one copy of it.

Did anyone here have a courthouse wedding w/o family and then get grilled for it at the interview? We are planning on having a big family wedding next year. The reason we need to wait so long is that his entire family lives in Israel so we needed to give them a lot of notice, plus give out parents time to gather the funds to pay for the event. But we couldn't afford not to get the legalities out of the way ASAP since my husband is on OPT, which is about to expire. We're both 23, have been together nearly 7.5 years (highs school sweethearts) and have lived together for the past 3 years. We have lots of pictures and documents to prove the validity of our relationship but I am worried about the circumstances surrounding our wedding, though I myself look at this as just a small piece to the puzzle. Any constructive insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
To,All others,
Good luck wishes for your interview. No updates yet. Still no message eversince the interview. IO said it might take 1 to 2 months. So, patiently waiting.

We had the courthouse wedding w/o family just 2 months before filing 1-485, 1-130 and did not get grilled for it. I made photo collages of wedding and other pictures, and I0 took one copy of it.

To,All others,
Good luck wishes for your interview. No updates yet. Still no message eversince the interview. IO said it might take 1 to 2 months. So, patiently waiting.

So did you get approved or is that pending? I don't have pictures of the wedding, honestly I didn't even think of it since we are planning on having a Jewish ceremony and reception with lots of family and friends attending. I did have one friend attend the courthouse wedding as a witness. I just hope that this won't be a problem... I'm kicking myself now for not thinking it through a bit more.

We got married at the county courthouse with a bunch of witnesses most of whom where friends/coworkers of my wife. The only actually family person there was my mom. When we went for our interview yesterday the IO asked if I have ever been to my wife's home country and I replied not yet but we do plan on going this summer. When we were going through the photo album I mention that we got married at the courthouse. The IO did not inquire further. My wife did tell the IO that the day we got married was our sixth year anniversary of being together.

She did seem pleased to see photos we had when my parents and my wife's parents officially meet about 3 months before we got married. She asked that we include one of the photos for the file. I told my wife the reason the IO wanted one of the pictures for the file of us with both of our parents because it proves that our parents are aware and approve of our relationship. My situation is like your we are going to have a celebration later both here and in my wife's home country.

What I might recommend is to have affidavits from both of your parents explaining why they were unable to attend the wedding and the plans for a wedding overseas. They might want also to include on how they meet the other person.

Last edited by a moderator:
We got married at the county courthouse with a bunch of witnesses most of whom where friends/coworkers of my wife. The only actually family person there was my mom. When we went for our interview yesterday the IO asked if I have ever been to my wife's home country and I replied not yet but we do plan on going this summer. When we were going through the photo album I mention that we got married at the courthouse. The IO did not inquire further. My wife did tell the IO that the day we got married was our sixth year anniversary of being together.

She did seem pleased to see photos we had when my parents and my wife's parents officially meet about 3 months before we got married. She asked that we include one of the photos for the file. I told my wife the reason the IO wanted one of the pictures for the file of us with both of our parents because it proves that our parents are aware and approve of our relationship. My situation is like your we are going to have a celebration later both here and in my wife's home country.

What I might recommend is to have affidavits from both of your parents explaining why they were unable to attend the wedding and the plans for a wedding overseas. They might want also to include on how they meet the other person.

Thanks for your post, I found it very helpful. We are actually planning on having a wedding stateside in 2011. And I did visit my husbands home country 2 years ago and met his entire extended family (his father lives over there as well). Also, our parents have met on many occasions and have spent several holidays together. Like I said, the only detail I'm worried about is the courthouse wedding since it was a quickie wedding and unremarkable. I do like the idea of the affidavits from the parents... in fact we were going to set up a consultation w/ an immigration lawyer as soon as we get the IL so we can figure out the best way to explain the situation so it doesn't look suspicious.

Yes! Thanks a lot. It seems that it is good to notify them that employment based I-485 is already pending when we file both I-130 & new I-485. So they continued to use same A# on new I-485. Good to knowthat.
Can you share I-130/I-485 tracking dates your spouse? I'll share mine once I filed it.

What all forms need to be filed along with I-130/I-485? should we file I-765 again for EAD again? I knew we should file I-864? G325A for both you and your spouse? anything else?

I-130 was approved last year. I had filed for it in 2006.
I-485 is pending and interview is scheduled for 03/15. I-485 was filed in Dec 09.

Congrate's to everyone who had there interview and was aproved! I just got my EAD in the mail today. Interview next week oh geez.

ABRuniverse, Our interview is over, its approved. You can furnish any other pictures taken together.It's not necessary that you need to have the picture of courthouse wedding. It will not be problem, all will go well. Hope you have supportive documents to prove your marriage based relationship.Good luck with your interview.

So did you get approved or is that pending? I don't have pictures of the wedding, honestly I didn't even think of it since we are planning on having a Jewish ceremony and reception with lots of family and friends attending. I did have one friend attend the courthouse wedding as a witness. I just hope that this won't be a problem... I'm kicking myself now for not thinking it through a bit more.

Last edited by a moderator:
ABRuniverse, Our interview is over, its approved. You can furnish any other pictures taken together.It's not necessary that you need to have the picture of courthouse wedding. It will not be problem, all will go well. Hope you have supportive documents to prove your marriage based relationship.Good luck with your interview.

Congrats aaren on getting your approval. It feels nice to have the process over.

ABRUniverse - your post mirrors my situation exactly! We have been together for 7 years and are college sweethearts who also got married at the courthouse (no witnesses needed in FLA.) and plan to have a bigger wedding in about 1 1/2 years.

Honestly, the courthouse wedding ceremony doesn't make a difference. Hundreds, even thousands, of couples get married in courthouses each year. As long as you have joint bills, leases, and proper documentation etc. to prove you have a legit relationship you should be fine. Our interview officer was particularly interested in photos with us and each others' parents. We are lucky to have a ton from over the years (birthday parties, college graduations where our in-laws came, etc) and that made more of an impact than out wedding photos!

We have a similar but reverse situation on the courthouse thing. We got married in Reno. In some little drive up chapel. We have no witnesses...lol...It was the secetary of the minister that signed the witness declaration. We have even misplaced the pictures...But we have the marriage certificate. We have been married ten years...We have a son. We have a ton of pics, prorpety together, utility bills etc... We also had a huge religious wedding 6 months before the court house legal marriage. We have all the photos video of that. In my culture legal or not the religious wedding holds more significance. Getting the legal wedding done at the courthouse was more of an annoyance and unecessary expense...but it had to be done for legal reasons etc...tax return filing/children being born in wedlock etc... We didnt really worry about the court pic because they didnt really mean anything to us. I guess we are going to get lectured at the interview...lol...but they cant deny us because we have a legal marriage certificate and provable life together....

So dont worry...things happen...pic get lost or end being in fires,floods etc... As long as you can prove a life together and have a legal marriage certificate you are in the ballgame...

Reverse because we did the big non-legal wedding first then we eloped to get legally married later...lol