Question about signature on naturalization certificate

paola81

Registered Users (C)
I heard that there was a special way to sign the naturalization certificate. My signature the one I use all the time is a scrawl and you can't really read my name. However people say that the one in your certificate must read your full name so that you need to pretty much hand write your full name maybe in cursive so that it's readable.
Then I also heard that you must sign it exactly as you did on the back of the picture but what about if I only wrote my first name and last name and in my certificate it says my full name my first, middle and last name. Which is the right way to sign it?

Do you know if USCIS would give any information? or where can I find out for sure? I just don't know since most of people suggest to write your full name in cursive but that wouldn't match my day-to-day signature or the way I wrote it on the back of my photo.

Do you know if USCIS would give any information? or where can I find out for sure? I just don't know since most of people suggest to write your full name in cursive but that wouldn't match my day-to-day signature or the way I wrote it on the back of my photo.

At my interview, I was told to print my name on my photos in block letters. At the oath ceremony, everyone was told to sign their certificate with their full name. It didn't have to be flowing cursive, as long as the name was legible.

My normal signature doesn't even begin to resemble the signature on my natz certificate, but it doesn't matter. For best results, sign the certificate with your full name, regardless of whether or not it looks like your "normal" signature.

I understand. Thank you so much. So you think that I should also sign my middle name even though I didn't write on the back of the photo but it is printed on the certificate.

I understand. Thank you so much. So you think that I should also sign my middle name even though I didn't write on the back of the photo but it is printed on the certificate.

If your middle name is printed on the certificate, you should definitely sign it.

for my case i was actually asked by the IO to sign on ma photos.but then after seeing many comments about it i then google it and came up with this lawyer's website and many other sites throwing light on the proper way to sign on n-400 photos.

for my case i was actually asked by the IO to sign on ma photos.but then after seeing many comments about it i then google it and came up with this lawyer's website and many other sites throwing light on the proper way to sign on n-400 photos.

I was allowed to sign my "normal" signature on the pictures (that is, my signature I use to do everyday things and not the full name in cursive as is required on the N400 form). So this means when it comes time for naturalization, I'll be able to sign my "normal" signature on the Naturalization Certificate as well.

Basically, you need to sign on the Naturalization Certificate exactly as you sign the two pictures at the time of the interview. Depending the IO you meet you might end up signing the pictures with full name or your normal signature.

AP

Me,too. At the interview I signed the pictures with my regular signature which is not even in English. Nobody can read it, but it is how I sign everything (credit cards, checks etc). So now I am wondering about how to sign the naturalization certificate. What is more important: that I sign with my full name so that it is readable or that I sign exactly as I signed the pictures?

Me,too. At the interview I signed the pictures with my regular signature which is not even in English. Nobody can read it, but it is how I sign everything (credit cards, checks etc). So now I am wondering about how to sign the naturalization certificate. What is more important: that I sign with my full name so that it is readable or that I sign exactly as I signed the pictures?

Wanted to seek some clarification here again on this topic:

I'll be attending my oath ceremony on April 15 in St Paul. The following website:

http://www.newcitizen.us/after.html

says: (see the text in red below)

You need to sign the certificate with your name exactly as it appears on the certificate. Don’t use the same abbreviated signature you use to sign checks, letters, or credit-card slips. For example, if the name on the certificate appears as John James Doe, then sign exactly like that "John James Doe." Even if you sign your name as John Doe or J. Doe or J.J. Doe, don’t sign it that way. To repeat, sign your name exactly as it appears on your Certificate of Naturalization. If you previously signed the photograph that is mounted to your Certificate of Naturalization, then sign your certificate using the exact same signature you used to sign your photograph, even if that signature does not match the full name shown on your certificate.

If this is correct, this means that the signature on the photograph affixed to your nat cert takes precedence over your full name in cursive. I ask because I signed my pics at the interview in my usual "normal" way (i.e., abbreviated and not in full cursive). If the above is correct I should be able to sign it the same way on the nat cert too.

Please chime in with your comments.

AP

newcitizen.us is not a government site.

You will be given instructions on how to sign the certificate at the oath ceremony. If not you can just ask.

newcitizen.us is not a government site.

You will be given instructions on how to sign the certificate at the oath ceremony. If not you can just ask.

Thanks. This is what I found on the government site - a memo from last year clarifying the sugnature issue:

Effective immediately, applicants are to sign their photos using their normal signature. Normal
signature means signature in English unless exempt the English language requirement of 8 CFR
312. Signatures need not be legible and names may be shortened consistent with the applicant’s
normal signature. Applicants who are seeking a change of name at the time of naturalization
should not sign their photos until after the name change is granted.

You can see the entire memo at this site:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/natz_interview_apr2508.pdf

This still doesn't clarify if the signature on the naturalization cert can be the same as that on the pictures. All it says is that the sign on the picture can be your day-to-day sign. Previously it was to be your full name in cursive.

Anyone know more? I guess I'll just have to ask someone when I'm there.

AP

Thanks. This is what I found on the government site - a memo from last year clarifying the sugnature issue:

Effective immediately, applicants are to sign their photos using their normal signature. Normal
signature means signature in English unless exempt the English language requirement of 8 CFR
312. Signatures need not be legible and names may be shortened consistent with the applicant’s
normal signature. Applicants who are seeking a change of name at the time of naturalization
should not sign their photos until after the name change is granted.

You can see the entire memo at this site:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/natz_interview_apr2508.pdf

This still doesn't clarify if the signature on the naturalization cert can be the same as that on the pictures. All it says is that the sign on the picture can be your day-to-day sign. Previously it was to be your full name in cursive.

AP

Will you please update us with regards to this after your Oathtaking, thanks.

AP
I just took the oath today. They stressed several times that the signature on the certificate much exactly match that on the photos. Mine looks rather like a dead spider and just includes my first initial and surname but that is how they want it.

I just took the oath today. They stressed several times that the signature on the certificate much exactly match that on the photos. Mine looks rather like a dead spider and just includes my first initial and surname but that is how they want it.

OK great! So this clears it - looks like the signature on the photos take precedence (however they are - full cursive or scribble).

Thanks for the post.

AP

We had our interview in Feb 2009 and out Oath was in March, we were asked to sign (Not the full name) on the photos during out interview and on our Oath we were asked to sign the Oath Certificate like we did on the photos.
My friend had his interview and Oath on May 2008 and they were instructed to write their complete name. Looks like the rules changed recently.

Thanks

I am not an lawyer. My advice is based purely on personal experience. For legal advice, please consult an immigration attorney.

I asked for a name change, therefore, I was told not to sign my pictures at the interview.
Anyone know what the procedure will be in my case?
Thank you.

I am little confused how I signed the back of my picture at the interview.

Will I be able to find it at oath ceremony?