New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

Hey Foxytone,

Congratulation for being a US Citizen. I do remember you from those years...Wow !!! It's been a very long time. I'll try to merge this thread with other thread relating to NYC naturalization experiences so that other NYers might be helped with your experience.

However, I think there is some error in time line of your case which might be because of not remembering everything as it happened a while ago. For example- you stated that the receipt date for your application was probably May 16, 2012 and you were scheduled for the interview on June 21, which was just a few days over after receipt of your application, which is not possible. Secondly, you also said that you were scheduled for the Oath on October 17th which was a day after hurricane Sandy, but the hurricane Sandy was in the end of October. I'm sure you have forgotten the time line of your case, but it's okay as it happens. Wish you all the luck.

Hi Everyone,

It's been a while, but I felt the need to share my naturalization time line and interview experience. My recipet notice was received and/or dated approximately May 16th 2012 and I received a preliminary interview notice letter advising that I should bring to my interview my state issued ID card and certified copies of my arrest. I am not sure when I received the actual interview letter, but maybe three weeks before my interview date which was sceduled for June 21st, 2012 at 3:eek:opm at Federal Plaza.

I have been a green card holder for approximately 5 years through marriage. Although I did not have to file for citizenship based on the marriage criteria, I did.

My main concern for the interview process was the fact that I was arrested in 2007 for crimes I did not commit, for which I ended up pleading guilty to disorderly conduct on the advise of my lawyer. I did include a personalre-count of the arrest, explaining exactly what happened and why I felt I was wrongfully arrested and my decision to plead guilty to a disorderly conduct instead of continuing to pursue the case before the grand jury. I was very honest in my letter and expressed my desire to become a US citizen and that I would have never done anything to prevent that.

Moving on, My husband and I arrived approximately half an hour early. I waited maybe 30 to 40 mins before I was called in to the interview room. I swore in, then i was asked to show my green card and passport. He asked me the questions in the application form, to which I answered all the questions the same. He asked about the arrest and stated that he read my statement and the situation was unfortunate, and advised that I should not have taken the deal as I more than likely would have beaten the case.

We went on the the civics portion of the interview. My six questions were:

1. Who wrote the Declaration of Independence?
2. Name three states that border New Mexico.
3. What is the name of the two political parities in the US?
4. What party is President Obama with?
5. Name three states that border Canada.
6. I can't remember, sorry

I answered all questions correctly, and I was asked to write a sentence.
!
Is there such a question?! Name three states that border New Mexico?

Hi, just wanted to see if anyone has a suggestion regarding scheduling of oath ceremony. I have an interview scheduled for 11/28 (next Wed) at Federal Plaza. Assuming all goes well, I am deciding whether to wait (following the interview) for the interview letter (if I even get that option) or ask for it to be mailed. In case I just decide to have it mailed, should I ask the IO to have it sent in time for me to receive it by mid-December, so I can decide if I can leave to short Xmas vacation, or have to cancel my plans, or is it better not to mention it at all? Not sure what's the best approach is here. Have been studying timelines of people on trackitt but they seem to be inconsistent, mostly though it seems the oath date is about 4 weeks after the receipt of the oath letter (though in few cases some shorter) and people seem to receive the oath letter in 2-3 weeks in general (again, with exceptions). My dilemma is that I already have Xmas vacation plans leaving the country on Dec. 21 and coming back in on Jan 5. I know I can leave the country since it's just for the short time, as long as it is before the oath. and of course, I want to know the oath date before I leave, so to make sure it's not withing those few days I am gonne. Any advice?

So I just got back from my interview. I passed!! I know I know but one gets so nervous for no reason, even fully prepared. And it does not help when you see someone coming back from the interview indicating they have not passed (even if others who come out did).

So here is my interview experience. Overall, not bad, just really really really long wait time. I went over an extended lunch break figuring the most it would take would be 1.5 -2 hours. Ha ha. I arrived at about 10:55am and my scheduled interview time was 11:30am (following the instructions not to arrive more than 30min prior). My interview was at the Federal Plaza building in Lower Manhattan. First there is a line to go through security but that goes pretty fast. Then you go to the 7th Floor and you enter a huuge room full of maybe 500 people (I am guessing it was 500 because that was the max capacity posted on the wall and the room looked really full). You hand in your letter and wait for them to call your name. Now, given all the foreign names, that may not be the best system. Either way, I was called in about 25 min and I got very excited. It was about 1125pm by then. An officer took me to another smaller room this time. This one was very crowded and I would estimate had about 200 people, most of them seemed to be waiting for their oath letter. And I guess few of us for the interview. I was told to wait to be called again. And waited and waited. Most often they came in calling out people for their oath letters and few times swearing in minors. A lady sitting next to me said her interview time was for 1030am and she was done by 1045am but she had been waiting for her oath letter ever since then. One hour passed, second, and I was starting to get really nervous as I had to go back to work. I could not believe it was taking this long. But there is not much you can do about that. Finally at about 145pm (2 hours 45 min after arriving) I was called in. My IO was very nice though she was taking a really long time. I spent with her maybe 25 minuts, the test was done within the first 5-7 minutes and was very fast. First though, after swearing me in, she asked me for my passport, greencard, driver ID and social security card. luckily, I brought my SScard though it was nowhere mentioned you need to bring that one in. So just make sure you bring yours to the interview as well. She did not want to see any other documents I brought in. The test was very easy and fast.
She asked me to read the sentence: "Who was George Washington?" and then write down "George Washington was the first president". Then she asked me the following 6 questions;
1) The House of Representatives has how many voting members?
2) We elect US Representative for how many years?
3) In what month we vote for President?
4) Who is Chief Justice of the United States now?
5) Who is the Father of Our Country?
6) Name one war fought by the United States in 1900s.

After I answered all the questions correctly, she congratulated me on passing the test. The remaining 20 minutes was spent on going over my application in detail, any changes and corrections, and asking me all the yes/no questions at the back. And then I had to sign couple pieces of paper, my photos and she kept checking the application and her file. Finally she left to make copies of my ID. She was friendly and easygoing, even chatting with me about my profession and job, my new middle names I am adding that were her kids name as well etc. Then she said I was done and handing me the paper confirming I passed and would receive my oath letter in 30 to 60 days. I asked her then if it would be ok for me to leave the country for short time at the end of December and she said that should be fine and that I might receive my oath letter by then and that I just need to mention at the oath that I travelled. that was it. I went back to the 'hold room" where people were still waiting for their oath letters but by then I really had to get back to work and decided to just wait for mine to be mailed. I did ask while waiting for the interview before the officer who was handing out the oath letters when my oath could possibly be scheduled for and he mentioned that because I was Manhattan and had a name change (even if a minor one), the earliest would be Dec. 7. Whether I get that date still if they mail it, who knows. I will just wait and see. If I do get the oath for 7th, then I will have to pay special expedited passport service to get mine in time before leaving. by the time i left the builing it was 230pm, so only about 3 1/2 hour later. So just come prepared for the wait. Other location may not be so bad and it may be the Manhattan thing, but one never knows. And bring your SScard too. Good luck to all!

3+ months for interview scheduling?

Hi,
We are based in NY city. My wife and I applied for naturalization after 5 years of GC.
We were placed in line for interview scheduling October 2 2012 and we still have not heard from USCIS with the exception of a yellow letter that said "This Not an interview Notice" which basically told us to bring drivers license to interviews. I called the office after 90 days this week and they told me I should wait another 3 months to get the interview, is this normal?

Application mailed to Texas 8/27
Acceptance Receipt: 8/30
Finger Print Notice 9/5
Finger Prints in NYC 9/28
Placed in line for interview scheduling 10/2
This Not an interview Notice 12/20

thank you.
Alex.

Well Riverside917, according to many timelines and on trackkit, the average completion of those who were processed in NY is roughly 6 months plus. The Interview dates for most applicants, happens on the 6th month. You send in on 8/30 so make that september, You will probally be call upon in the month of March. I would check up on it if, after march you still haven't recieve anything. Good luck to us both!

Last edited by a moderator:
Interview at holtsville long island new york

Hello:
Is anyone experiencing delay from holtsville office in long island new york. I did my interview there for N400 on 1/18/2013 . The officer stamped my application approved but gave me a letter which says recommended for approval. He told me to go celebrate and the approval letter with schedule for the oath ceremony would come in the weeks. I have not receive anything yet. And there has been any update on my case online. It's still showing that an interview letter was sent to me on 12/14/2012. Has anyone experience similar situation. Any would advice? Thanks

Interview at holtsville office long island new york

Hello:
Is anyone experiencing delay from holtsville office in long island new york. I did my interview there for N400 on 1/18/2013 . The officer stamped my application approved but gave me a letter which says recommended for approval. He told me to go celebrate and the approval letter with the schedule for the oath ceremony would come in the weeks coming. He said the oath would probably be end of February in Central Islip . I have not received anything yet. And there has not been any update on my case online. It's still showing that an interview letter was sent to me on 12/14/2012.Has anyone experienced similar situation? Any advice would help . thanks

here is my timeline for nyc

USCIS FIELDOFFICE -NYC
USCIS Dallas/Lewisville

03/01/13: n400 sent
03/04/13: n400 delivered
03/07/13: FP noticed received
03/27/13: FP done
03/29/13: In line for interviewing scheduling
04/02/13: Interview scheduled status update
05/07/12: Interview scheduled date

New York City - N-400 Timeline, 3 year rule (marriage based application)

Here is my journey thus far:

GC holder since March 21, 2008 (married to U.S. citizen since 1997)

6/11/12: N-400 sent via UPS to Lewisville, TX
6/12/12: N-400 delivered
6/13/12: NOA received (Priority Date: 06/12/12)
7/18/12: FP notice recd
8/09/12: FP scheduled - Done
9/04/12: In line for Interview scheduling
10/12/12: NOA received, Interview scheduled
14/01/13: Interview Done, N-14 "Request for evidence" given to me
22/03/13: Second interview. Info submitted. Was told file approved by IO, then was told by IO not approved by Supervisor
X/XX/13: Oath scheduling que
X/XX/13: Oath Letter received
X/XX/13: Oath Ceremony
X/XX/13: Applied for Passport
X/XX/13: Received Passport

Hi, Handme,

Are you sure your field office is Federal Plaza, NY?
I wonder how is it possible to be so fast.

here is my timeline for nyc

USCIS FIELDOFFICE -NYC
USCIS Dallas/Lewisville

03/01/13: n400 sent
03/04/13: n400 delivered
03/07/13: FP noticed received
03/27/13: FP done
03/29/13: In line for interviewing scheduling
04/02/13: Interview scheduled status update
05/07/12: Interview scheduled date