Cannot submit N-400 90 days before 5 years anniversary any more.

ProudPal

Registered Users (C)
I was just on the phone with the Immigration Customer Service.
I asked them to confirm my 90 days date so I can submit my N-400.

The lady clearly stated that I CAN NO LONGER SUBMIT N-400 90 days before the 5 years are over.
She said that tons of people are being rejected for submitting their N-400 90 days or less.
She said the information though not available or published, but they are rejecting all applications submitted before the 5 years are completed.

Anyone heard anything about this? She confirmed it many times and it really disappointed me.

if you apply, and pay, and that info is not published anywhere or available, they must refend you then. i think its BS she just tryna scare you cause there so backlogged they prob dont want early eligible people to apply.

I just called again and talked to another representative. He said he never heard of that and apologized for what his coworker told me.
What is amazing is that she said "we receive tons of call from people who are rejected for submitting with the 90 days grace period".
The guy said the guide is what you should follow. It must be published before it is applied.
So I think it should be fine to submit within the 90 days prior to the 5 years.

I am sorry if I scared you guys...

That's OK, I think that customer representative was misinformed. People will be rejected if they file more than 90 days earlier of the 5 years. However, the 90 days rule is enshrined in the law, it cannot be changed whimsically by USCIS. I think what the customer rep meant was that there has been quite a few rejections because of the fee increase fiasco, or anything like that, or she wash completely confused or wrong, or both.

I have time and time cautioned people NOT to waste time talking to the buffoons on the outsourced USCIS help line. There will be 1000s like you who believe it, but at least you are on this forum. What about all the people who are not on any public forum? They may just buy the crap that the phone operators dish out.

I just called again and talked to another representative. He said he never heard of that and apologized for what his coworker told me.
What is amazing is that she said "we receive tons of call from people who are rejected for submitting with the 90 days grace period".
The guy said the guide is what you should follow. It must be published before it is applied.
So I think it should be fine to submit within the 90 days prior to the 5 years.

I am sorry if I scared you guys...

I have time and time cautioned people NOT to waste time talking to the buffoons on the outsourced USCIS help line. There will be 1000s like you who believe it, but at least you are on this forum. What about all the people who are not on any public forum? They may just buy the crap that the phone operators dish out.

I agree with you completely. Those people are completely miss informed. I learned my lesson after being told that i was in que for oath letter only to find out that they were still pending my background checks. What's worse? They are frequently rude and dont know how to speak to people

Some of the confusion might be people thinking it's 3 months and not 90 days hence sending in the application a few days too early and getting a rejection. Of course with the INS, everyone you talk to you will get a different answer on most things...

With an exception here and there
the dept. is a mess, from the top down.
A black eye on every executive to sit in the Oval office.
A black eye on every Congressman and Senator that has been in office more than a couple of terms and refused to force improvement.
Money in the pockets for some that profit by the mess.

I'm guessing that at least 50% of the questions that are asked, on the line you called, can be answered
with an accurate FAQ on a website.
Staff cuts could be made or people reasigned to do something more worthwhile.
USCIS customers would get better service, clearer answers and rapid advice.
Instead, you like a lot of others, were given faulty answers by well meaning people
that probably would like to help you but aren't trained, not capable or not provided the details.

You can send it in 90 days, but you will not get an exact answer
as to the date the 90 days starts no matter how hard you try.
so send it in at 80 days or later.
(example: Does USCIS 90 days start when they receive it? When they open it? When they cash the check? Do they count using the postmark date? Do they count the date on your greencard or count one day before the greencard date? USCIS will not answer any of this.)

Last edited by a moderator:
90 Days Time period

I was just on the phone with the Immigration Customer Service.
I asked them to confirm my 90 days date so I can submit my N-400.

The lady clearly stated that I CAN NO LONGER SUBMIT N-400 90 days before the 5 years are over.
She said that tons of people are being rejected for submitting their N-400 90 days or less.
She said the information though not available or published, but they are rejecting all applications submitted before the 5 years are completed.

Anyone heard anything about this? She confirmed it many times and it really disappointed me.

I have a question in my case

GC Issued June 2002
Applied Re entry period oct 2002 and left USA and came back to USA in June 2004, Re entry permit is valid upto April 2006, Can I eligible to apply 90 days before 4 years 1 day period.?
I appreciate if any one can reply to this?

I have a question in my case

GC Issued June 2002
Applied Re entry period oct 2002 and left USA and came back to USA in June 2004, Re entry permit is valid upto April 2006, Can I eligible to apply 90 days before 4 years 1 day period.?
I appreciate if any one can reply to this?

90 day rule is not applicable in "4 years and 1 day" situation. You'll have to wait until June '08 to apply.