US citizen parents sponsoring over 21 son..

I went to my interview alone today. After taking oath, the officer started off by asking my parents' first names. Then she went on with questions such as "did you ever get married; do you have children", etc. I think she wanted to verify my answers were consistent with the ones in the forms(I-485, G-325) submitted.

She then asked to see the original documents I brought - all passports I used, my petitioner's passport, all of my I-94's, my birth certificate and all of my I-20's I had. She made copies of them and said that was it and I should receive the decision in the mail in a month or less.

It took about 10 minutes.

Appears different offices operate differently. I didn't receive any approval letter as xerostomic did.

card production ordered

card production ordered today.

I went to my interview alone today. After taking oath, the officer started off by asking my parents' first names. Then she went on with questions such as "did you ever get married; do you have children", etc. I think she wanted to verify my answers were consistent with the ones in the forms(I-485, G-325) submitted.

She then asked to see the original documents I brought - all passports I used, my petitioner's passport, all of my I-94's, my birth certificate and all of my I-20's I had. She made copies of them and said that was it and I should receive the decision in the mail in a month or less.

It took about 10 minutes.

Appears different offices operate differently. I didn't receive any approval letter as xerostomic did.

My son finally got the following message by email and same (which is he last stage)was showing up online yesterday on 8th October. But today, ie: 9th Oct something else (5th stage)is showing up. Can someone please explain what it means? The USCIS has new updated website with all these 7 stages in process. Now I cannot understand whether he got the green card approval or is it still under review?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8th Oct:(final stage)
Application Type: I485 , APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE
OR TO ADJUST STATUS

Current Status: Card production ordered.

On October 8, 2009, we ordered production of your new card. Please
allow 30 days for your card to be mailed to you. If we need something
from you we will contact you. If you move before you receive the card,
call customer service at 1-800-375-5283.

If you have questions or concerns about your application or the case
status results listed above, or if you have not received a decision
from USCIS within the current processing time listed*, please contact
USCIS Customer Service at .......
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
9th Oct:(fifth stage)
Decision
On October 8, 2009, we mailed you a notice that we had registered this customer's new permanent resident status. Please follow any instructions on the notice. Your new permanent resident card should be mailed within 60 days following this registration or after you complete any ADIT processing referred to in the welcome notice, whichever is later. If you move before receiving your card, please call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.
During this step the formal decision (approved/denied) is written and the decision notice is mailed and/or emailed to the applicant/petitioner. You can use our current processing time to gauge when you can expect to receive a final decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
congratulations RSK, it means that your son's green card has been sent for printing and you should receive it in 7-10 days, you might get another email saying that your son's GC has been mailed.

My son finally got the following message by email and same (which is he last stage)was showing up online yesterday on 8th October. But today, ie: 9th Oct something else (5th stage)is showing up. Can someone please explain what it means? The USCIS has new updated website with all these 7 stages in process. Now I cannot understand whether he got the green card approval or is it still under review?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OR TO ADJUST STATUS

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Decision
On October 8, 2009, we mailed you a notice that we had registered this customer's new permanent resident status. Please follow any instructions on the notice. Your new permanent resident card should be mailed within 60 days following this registration or after you complete any ADIT processing referred to in the welcome notice, whichever is later. If you move before receiving your card, please call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.
During this step the formal decision (approved/denied) is written and the decision notice is mailed and/or emailed to the applicant/petitioner. You can use our current processing time to gauge when you can expect to receive a final decision.

OR TO ADJUST STATUS

Decision

That means you can expect the Welcome Notice in week and actual green card in another week. :)

I got the same 2 emails, BTW. The 2nd one means they printed out "Welcome Notice" (as I understand that).

Question for you guys please.
I am currently a F1(student) visa, can I quit school when I got my EAD? or I can only quit school after I get the GreenCard?
Thanks for advance!:confused:

I am currently a F1(student) visa, can I quit school when I got my EAD? or I can only quit school after I get the GreenCard?

You can. In fact you can quit as long as you submitted all papers (and they were accepted by CIS).

Just wondering how did you get F1 if you had 130 submitted for you? Or you are in different category?

check with your school. There is an advisory that F1 students should maintain their student status untill they get their physical green card. My school told me to maintain F1 coz if GC is denied for some reason you will end up with an illegal stay and possible reentry bar, so quiting school is like a gamble that no one should play.
Kitten I also changed from B2 to F1 after I came to US and while my I-130 was pending and I mentioned about it in my change of status application. There is no such law that prohibits and approved I-130 applicant from acquiring F1 visa, even mermaid got F1 after I-130 approval, I think they understand that there is a long waiting time and denying F1 in in human.

Kitten I also changed from B2 to F1 after I came to US and while my I-130 was pending and I mentioned about it in my change of status application. There is no such law that prohibits and approved I-130 applicant from acquiring F1 visa, even mermaid got F1 after I-130 approval, I think they understand that there is a long waiting time and denying F1 in in human.

I was wondering because I heard number of times that if 130 is submitted one can get only "immigrant intention" visa (like H1). I myself hold F1 when dad submitted 130, but I already "had" it, so never run into that issue (and I changed it to H1 later on).

BTW, I may be wrong, but my feeling is when you apply for AoS you loose your F1 visa (and become a "pending AoS" status). So I'm not 100% sure if you are declined you'll be back to F1 status. I haven't seen the law saying 'yes' or 'no' in this case.

when you apply for AOS you still hold the visa status that you already had like F, H1 etc the only exception is if you don't have a stamped visa in your passport (like you changed status here) and you were on F1 or H1 status and you travel outside of US and when you re-enter US you will no longer have your previous visa status and you will be considered on AOS applicant only.
you are right after submitting I-130 one is considered to have immigrant intent and there is highest rate of F1 student visa denial, but these student visa denials are not because of law it's just that consular officers become very picky about such applicants and applicants are unable to justify their non-immigrant intent, so you are right getting F1 becomes near to impossible but some ppl do get it.

I was wondering because I heard number of times that if 130 is submitted one can get only "immigrant intention" visa (like H1). I myself hold F1 when dad submitted 130, but I already "had" it, so never run into that issue (and I changed it to H1 later on).

BTW, I may be wrong, but my feeling is when you apply for AoS you loose your F1 visa (and become a "pending AoS" status). So I'm not 100% sure if you are declined you'll be back to F1 status. I haven't seen the law saying 'yes' or 'no' in this case.

when you apply for AOS you still hold the visa status that you already had like F, H1 etc the only ...................non-immigrant intent, so you are right getting F1 becomes near to impossible but some ppl do get it.

Thanks Xerostomic and Kittenkat!
I think I should maintain the F1(student) visa untill I get the green card. :)
I agree with Xerostomic, it makes sense.

Thanks Xerostomic and Kittenkat!
I think I should maintain the F1(student) visa untill I get the green card. :)
I agree with Xerostomic, it makes sense.

Don't you want a degree regardless of whether you have a GC or not? I would at least finish this academic year. Besides you probably already paid your tuition.

I can't wait for the moment when I can tell my registrar to remove me from sevis (if not already) and that I won't need their sad year of practical training :cool:

Don't you want a degree regardless of whether you have a GC or not? I would at least finish this academic year. Besides you probably already paid your tuition.

I can't wait for the moment when I can tell my registrar to remove me from sevis (if not already) and that I won't need their sad year of practical training :cool:

Well, I already got a master degree .....but it's almost impossible to get a job without a GC nowdays.

My son filed I-130 for his brother 5 years ago. Now I become a US citizen. Will it speed things up if I file i130 for my other son? Or my son in the US should add me as a co-petitioner? If so, how do we do that? Shall we save any time by doing that? Thank you.

My son filed I-130 for his brother 5 years ago. Now I become a US citizen. Will it speed things up if I file i130 for my other son? Or my son in the US should add me as a co-petitioner? If so, how do we do that? Shall we save any time by doing that? Thank you.

Sorry to say that, but you should of file one yourself when you became a resident 5 years back. Now you basically lost 5 years and filing another 130 will just put him in other line for FB1. Actually it still may be faster then through the bother's one.

I just got back from the interview. I was not approved, actually almost got denied, because the officer said I file on July 29, the bulletin that says I am current is the August bulletin, she said I filed too early. I was appaud, because the August bulletin came out on July 9, what does she mean? I told her every month USCIS publish the bulletin for next month, she denied this fact, she said no. So she gave me and my lawyer two options: either she denies my application or I withdraw it. My lawyer picked the later. She also took all my I-94 and wouldn't give me back. So I am gonna have to refile I-485 and the whole packet and pay another $1010 filing fee.