OCI - Chicago Tracker

@idk - You mentioned that it takes 2 months total of 2/3 weeks for SC. I see a couple of people in the Chicago forum who have applied for OCI+SC and are getting it in around 1.5 months average.

Well you could get it back in the 1.5 month time frame, but there are no guarantees.

It took them 3 weeks just to open my envelope after receipt, and was told that is the current wait time based on the number of applications they have received.

I have learned that you should always expect the worst when dealing with CGI-Houston.

I think all Travisa/CGI offices are equally bad. I know there was a 6 months wait in the past at Houston, but hopefully they can get their act together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my timeline:

04/25/2011 10:54am CST Service order form completed online
04/27/2011 4:55pm CST OCI application arrived in the mail at Travisa Outsourcing. Please allow Travisa Outsourcing up to 7 business days before the application status changes. Note that your application will undergo several steps before the status is updated.
05/05/2011 8:21am CST Order form and supporting documents received, payment processed
05/05/2011 9:19pm CST Documents prepared to go to Embassy.

It takes them 7 business days to open the packet and god know how many more days to send it to the embassy. Meanwhile we have to pray that our business/personal travel plans will be on hold.

We have moved from one sh**ty process to another. I am hoping this is the last process I have to put up with.

Hello All,

I'm originally from India and received a US citizenship and US passport earlier this month. All of my family i.e. Wife and kids have US passports. I live 2.5 hrs from Chicago. We plan to go to India this summer ideally would like to go by end of May.

I understand from this forum that an OCI is not possible within that time frame so I have to go with a Visa. Can anyone advice what's the fastest way for us to get the India Visa. I can go to Chicago during a weekday to fasten the process. The airline ticket prices are going up daily and would like to get the VISA as soon as possible and book the tickets. I much appreciate any help and advice.

Another question, what visa should I get - the entry or the tourist. Not sure which one I qualify for as a ex-Indian.

--Thanks

My application was sent to Embassy on 7th May. Scanned on 10th May. Granted status on 11th May. It is 13 days and Printed not done.

According to other trackers there is an issue with the printer at Delhi and people have been waiting since Mid April.

Hello All,

I'm originally from India and received a US citizenship and US passport earlier this month. All of my family i.e. Wife and kids have US passports. I live 2.5 hrs from Chicago. We plan to go to India this summer ideally would like to go by end of May.

I understand from this forum that an OCI is not possible within that time frame so I have to go with a Visa. Can anyone advice what's the fastest way for us to get the India Visa. I can go to Chicago during a weekday to fasten the process. The airline ticket prices are going up daily and would like to get the VISA as soon as possible and book the tickets. I much appreciate any help and advice.

Another question, what visa should I get - the entry or the tourist. Not sure which one I qualify for as a ex-Indian.

--Thanks

First you need to get a surrender certificate if you still don' have it.
Tourist visa-you can't enter india for 2 months if you accidently get to another neighboring country to see the sights. cost is $73.00
Entry visa-you can visit the surrounding countries and still be allowed in india. cost is $113.00

Apply for tourist visa if you won't be going out of India, it's cheaper.

Chicago OCI - Mailed 4/26/11 Sent to Embassy 5/7/11 Scanned 5/10/11 Granted 5/11/11 Printed 5/30/11 Dispatched 6/1/11.

From this timeline it looks like they are taking the 30 day turaround seriously. Normally after Printing it would take 8-10 days for dispatch.

From this timeline it looks like they are taking the 30 day turaround seriously. Normally after Printing it would take 8-10 days for dispatch.

Au contraire my fellow applicant. The board is full of horror stories, which indicate otherwise.

I think once in a while they forget that they have to sit on the file for a few weeks, which is why yours may be an exception.

Another twist to the travisa nightmare. Just found this update on my application on the Travisa status check website.

"Your original passport has not yet been received. When your OCI card is received, you will be sent an alert email to mail in your US passport. If you have recently mailed in your original passport, please allow 2-4 business days for your status to be updated."

I had sent my original passport as part of the package as this was the rule when I applied. After June 15th they have waived the need to send the passport. I will have to sue them if my passport is lost.

Dude - at the NY CGI, it took them 1 month to send it to the embassy! I sent our application in the beginning of May. The documents just got to the embassy. I'll take the 7 days over this crap here!

Here is my timeline:

04/25/2011 10:54am CST Service order form completed online
04/27/2011 4:55pm CST OCI application arrived in the mail at Travisa Outsourcing. Please allow Travisa Outsourcing up to 7 business days before the application status changes. Note that your application will undergo several steps before the status is updated.
05/05/2011 8:21am CST Order form and supporting documents received, payment processed
05/05/2011 9:19pm CST Documents prepared to go to Embassy.

It takes them 7 business days to open the packet and god know how many more days to send it to the embassy. Meanwhile we have to pray that our business/personal travel plans will be on hold.

We have moved from one sh**ty process to another. I am hoping this is the last process I have to put up with.

I am done with OCI

Received my passport and OCI yesterday via USPS mail - cost only $5 as opposed to $23 by Fedex.

Total time taken = 4/27 - 6/16 = 49 days.

I feel bad for the guys in Houston and SF. I think to keep up with their stated commitment of 30 days from the time it is sent to Embassy they are front logging apps and not sending it to the Embassy till such time that they know it will come back in 30 days.

I am done with the whole process for now at least. Thanks to all the help from the community here.

Congratulations, Rsur!

$5 by USPS? Sounds like USPS Priority Mail? Was that it? With delivery confirmation?

Did you enclose the USPS return envelope?

Thanks.

Thanks javacafe. I got the idea of USPS in these forums. I enclosed the USPS priority flat rate small mailer as all it needs is to accommodate the two passports.

https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/st...01&storeId=10052&productId=10007118&langId=-1

The postage was around $5 and I did not put the delivery confirmation as the postal person said it would be of no use. Something about it reaching you before the confirmation is activated or some technicality.

Just to be as clear as mud......

I took the small gift mailer envelope, put the stamps on it ($4.95) and addressed it to myself.

Just to be as clear as mud......

I took the small gift mailer envelope, put the stamps on it ($4.95) and addressed it to myself.

Ah! That is indeed what I thought you did. But, your clarification makes it crystal clear. Thanks.

One question remains though. You are referring to the Priority Mail envelope that you sent as "small." However, the link you have included in your earlier post describes it as a "large 10 x 7–inch size, Priority Mail Flat Rate Gift Card Mailer." Were the dimensions of the envelope you mailed 10" x 7"?

Again, many thanks for your responses.

yes that is the one which is in the link. 10x7. It has got a gift bow insignia in Red on it. Sort of like a return gift of your OCI from the Embassy ;-)

(Travisa)
05/20/2011 OCI application arrived in the mail at Travisa Outsourcing.
05/23/2011 Application assigned for processing
05/23/2011 Order form and supporting documents received, payment processed
05/23/2011 Documents prepared to go to Embassy.
05/25/2011 Documents dispatched from Travisa Outsourcing Office to Consulate
05/25/2011 Documents received by Consulate
05/31/2011 Pending approval of the Government of India

(India Consulate)
25-MAY-2011 Date Of Acknowledgment
26-MAY-2011 Photo/Signature Scanned
26-MAY-2011 Registration Status Granted
08-JUN-2011 Documents Printed
13-JUN-2011 Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office CHICAGO
17-JUN-2011 Documents Received at CHICAGO

(Travisa)
06/21/2011 Outsourcing office has verified the OCI is processed correctly. Ready for pickup. between 4:30pm and 6:00pm. If mail back, waiting for FedEx pick up and is likely to be mailed out tomorrow.

-----------------------
33 days ... Expect to receive in 2 days.

(Travisa)
05/20/2011 OCI application arrived in the mail at Travisa Outsourcing.
05/23/2011 Application assigned for processing
05/23/2011 Order form and supporting documents received, payment processed
05/23/2011 Documents prepared to go to Embassy.
05/25/2011 Documents dispatched from Travisa Outsourcing Office to Consulate
05/25/2011 Documents received by Consulate
05/31/2011 Pending approval of the Government of India

(India Consulate)
25-MAY-2011 Date Of Acknowledgment
26-MAY-2011 Photo/Signature Scanned
26-MAY-2011 Registration Status Granted
08-JUN-2011 Documents Printed
13-JUN-2011 Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office CHICAGO
17-JUN-2011 Documents Received at CHICAGO

(Travisa)
06/21/2011 Outsourcing office has verified the OCI is processed correctly. Ready for pickup. between 4:30pm and 6:00pm. If mail back, waiting for FedEx pick up and is likely to be mailed out tomorrow.

-----------------------
33 days ... Expect to receive in 2 days.

same dates here .....printed on 8th june ....Documents DIspactched on 13th jume ...received on 17th june ..... on 20th june ...( outsourcing office Has verified the OCi ... )

I am almost ready to file(family) in person at Travisa, chicago on july1st. Any advise/personal experience anyone had with travisa chicago when inperson would help me and family. For 3 of us(3-OCI & 2 Surrender + travisa fees) it comes down to $1220/-, should I make one cashier check or 3 different cashier checks

Thanks
nrsesh