Working and living in the US for a year

But if you mean a "working holiday" visa like what they have in Australia and New Zealand, the US doesn't have that.

Actually, the US does have a working holiday visa for people in the UK. It's a 4 month visa that runs through the summer. This will not benefit the OP however as you need to be a full time student to qualify for it. My sister is using this visa next year to come and visit and work over here for 2 months in the summer.

http://www.bunac.com/uk/workamerica/

I meant the options available in the USA are not like what is available in Australia and New Zealand where they allow more than 6 months.

If the OP wants to stay 4 months, an option for that was already mentioned in this thread.

As you are British, you can use the visa waiver program to enter for 3 months but won't be allowed to work or do anything other than vacation. If you want to stay in the US for longer than 3 months you'd have to come and go every 3 months.

You could come on a student visa (F-1) to a local community college. Tuition would be about $3000 a semester (two in a year). You could work up to 20 hours a week on campus. If there is a degree requirement that you need to work off campus at a certain place, you can do that up to 20 hours a week.
Once you are on the F-1 visa, you can also apply for Optional Practical Training which is a 1 year work authorization card. You are only allowed one, regardless of how long you study. Not sure how long you have to been enrolled in college before you can apply. Might be worth googling.

Coming and going every 3 months will not work for long before the IO is taking a good look at you.

The B visa option is unlikely in your circumstances.

It's a different part of the world. I wanted to move here, and the job was merely a means to an end.

I need to move to Canada...:D Why are people flocking into the US? I am looking to head to Europe, better $$$ even though GOD fled Europe a long time ago...:eek: I am exploring all possibilities, except marriage...:D