Working and living in the US for a year

Rob5717

Registered Users (C)
Dear all,

I am very new to this so this may be a very obvious question but i have no idea. I have met a girl in America and would like to go over to stay with her and work over there for around a year. I am a manager of a fittness centre and also in the fire brigade. What are my possible options if any??

Thanks
Rob Martin

What are your qualifications? You need a type of job for which you can qualify for a work visa and there is an employer willing to file the visa paperwork to hire you.

If the girl im going to stay with parents offer me work with them and were willing to sponsor me would that be possible do you know?

Or if i went on a normal holiday visa and got cash in hand work how long could i stay by doing that? is that illegal? I have also heard that if i became a student i may find this easier to achieve?

Depends on what kind of business they are running and the job they are offering and the qualifications you have. They can't hire you to just work around the house.

Working on a tourist visa is illegal, and you are allowed to stay for a max of six months with that visa.

With a student visa, you can work part-time on campus (of course, the part time income will be a lot less than the tuition fees).

These are my qualifications;

I completed secondary school and successfully achieved 9 GCSE’s. I then studied at sixth form and completed 3 A.S levels. I have recently completed a Key Skills level 2 qualification in English and Mathematics. I am also currently working towards gaining a NVQ level 3 in Management.

I have worked at a fitness centre for over 7 years now and for the last two years I have held the position of Duty Manager. I have also been a member of Kent fire and Rescue service for 3 years and have successfully passed many courses and qualifications.

The qualifications that I have achieved through Kent Fire and Rescue Service are;

* Initial Fire brigade training course.
* Successfully completed 2 year probation period to gain competency.
* Breathing Apparatus qualification.
* First Aid qualification.
* High volume pump qualification.
* Banks man qualification.
* Water safety level 2 qualification.

During my time at the Fitness centre I have gained the following qualifications;

* First Aid at work certificate.
* National Pool Lifeguard Qualification.
* Defibrillator certificate.
* Manual handling qualification.
* Pool Plant Qualification.
* National Beach Lifeguard Qualification.
* Currently working towards a NVQ level 3 in Management.

Or if i went on a normal holiday visa and got cash in hand work how long could i stay by doing that? is that illegal? I have also heard that if i became a student i may find this easier to achieve?

Are you two planning on getting married? if so, that would be the easiest route for you to come, stay and work here legally.

You have to be a US citizen to work for most fire departments, so forget about that.

* Currently working towards a NVQ level 3 in Management.
You'll need at least a bachelor's degree in some kind of management for your education and training in that area to count as anything for obtaining a work visa. However, your lifeguard experience may allow you to obtain a J-1 visa to stay for 4 months. See http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_opportunities/employment/lifeguard.html and http://aquasafeinternational.com/visa.html

Last edited by a moderator:
So i have pretty much no chance of getting out there for a year then if i wanted to work, Not planning on marrying her but want to try and make it work but its kinda hard being in another country thats all. Thanks for all of your help.