• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Won DV Lottery documents not submitted, dilemma: Marriage Before or Marraige After GC

no_trying

Registered Users (C)
Can someone tell me if it is better to marry before submitting the DV Lottery Documents DSP-122 and SD-230 or after getting the GC?

I have heard once you get the GC, and then get married outside of US, you can't bring your wife into US for 5 years. She has no legal status based on your GC.

Any suggestions?

Personally I would get married before you even submit the 122 and 230 - it will save a lot of hassle/cost later.

Marriage after winning the chance for a interview in the DV programm will be reason for questioning at the interview so be prepared with lots of information and photo to prove that the marriage is real and is not a scam or only to take advantage of a GC.
If you want to go to US with your wife, it is advisable to marry before submitting documents and submit the documents with your new status and information, adding the information of your wife.
From what I know,if you will get married after receiving the GC, your wife will not have a legal status based on your GC and the process of adding her as a LPR based on your GC will be slowly and will take up to 5 years to complete.
Please search the internet for more information and seek a lawyer's advice if you feel the need.
Also take a look on USCIS website at http://www.uscis.gov/

I have spoken to an attorney, and she mentioned if you get married after GC, it is possible to bring the spouse after 2yrs.

I have spoken to an attorney, and she mentioned if you get married after GC, it is possible to bring the spouse after 2yrs.

Yes, it is possible to apply for a GC for a spouse after becoming an LPR. However, I hope the attorney you consulted explained the intricacies of applying for a F2A visa.

Historically, applicants have experienced a delay of several years for a F2A immigrant number to become available. The Department of State adjusts the availability on immigrant numbers on a monthly basis according to demand in each category, and publishes current availability in the monthly visa bulletin. Right now, it is taking a little over 2.5 years currently for the F-2A category. However, do keep in mind that the priority dates advance at different rates (and sometimes retrogress, or go backwards rather than advancing) depending on the number of applicants in the particular category and the number of visas that are still available for the particular fiscal year. So, bear in mind that the 2 years she mentioned is an estimate. It could potentially take anything between 2 and 5 years to get the GC for your spouse.

cessary psendsin

Hi Guys,

Good morning, this is Mohamed from Egypt,
CN 2014AF00001xxx

My forms DSP-122 & DS-230 Part 1&2 reach KCC on 19th of May, Does this affect my peocess and receiving the 2nd NL?

Regards,

Hi Guys,

Good morning, this is Mohamed from Egypt,
CN 2014AF00001xxx

My forms DSP-122 & DS-230 Part 1&2 reach KCC on 19th of May, Does this affect my peocess and receiving the 2nd NL?

Regards,
It doesn`t. However, because of your low case number you can expect your interview will be in October. Good luck.