• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Winning 2016 DV lottery

Isn't it wrong or illegal for one person to hold two valid passports ? Don't you have to declare the passport you already hold when applying for another ?

In some countries it is illegal to hold another passport if you are a citizen of that country, but most countries allow their citizens the freedom to hold another.

Lo
I understand. Just to clear out my concerns - when I enrolled to the DV lottery they asked what country am I enrolling the eligibility for (let's say Italy) and I was born in a different country (lets say France). Due to these facts - in case I will win the lottery - I will have to claim that I am a citizen of Italy and enroll as an Italian although my current US visa is on my French passport.

*These are not the countries I am actually from but I am trying to illustrate a situation
Looool, man you have to win first to, have such concerns! Hehe ur acting as if u won! Really most people here make me laugh! Just wait till you win from 20 million people applying! Hehe

not long to go now.... 26 days left for NZ & Australian applicants, remember we are ahead in time so checking on the 6th of May at 4 am for NZ and about 6 am for Australia..... Good luck to all who applied... :)

May be.

But US will definitely not entertain that. Going to get in trouble if someone tries a thing like that.

This is completely false. I know many naturalized U.S. citizens with two or more passports and no problems.

May be.

But US will definitely not entertain that. Going to get in trouble if someone tries a thing like that.

That is not correct. There are lots of USCs who hold passports of other countries. I personally hold two passports at the moment, and I will be adding a U.S. passport to my collection soon, and there will be no getting into trouble because the U.S. does not penalize those with dual citizenship even though the naturalization ceremony involves swearing an oath of allegiance to the U.S.

I have been reading up on this subject a bit too. There is no issue having two or more passports in the U.S. The only thing is that the U.S. does not officially recognise dual citizens. So you are just treated as an american citizen in the US. Your other citizenship doesn't hold any weight in the US. That's from my understanding of it anyways.

I have been reading up on this subject a bit too. There is no issue having two or more passports in the U.S. The only thing is that the U.S. does not officially recognise dual citizens. So you are just treated as an american citizen in the US. Your other citizenship doesn't hold any weight in the US. That's from my understanding of it anyways.

I think that's standard for any country - if you are a citizen your other nationalities don't hold weight while you are there?
The only other issue to bear in mind is that whichever passport you use to enter a third country, is the country that will be contacted should you need consular assistance for anything. This won't affect probably 99.9% of travellers not doing anything illegal of course.