• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Which are your reasons for emigration?

If you have legal papers and a software engineering degree, starting a life here should not be that hard. Still, expect to not earn anything within the first couple of months.

My concern is for those coming with nothing but a high school diploma, or a degree in areas not highly sought by US companies. These people would very likely start from the bottom, like any American with just a HS diploma. If they understand the situation and still consider USA better, then all is fine. The problem comes when they don't understand, then expect that arriving in USA with a green card automatically brings better life.

Please, avoid the fate of people in this article:
http://newamericamedia.org/2010/12/...y-visas-lucky-immigrants-adrift-and-alone.php

For people who live now in America, can you tell me a bachelor degree in business and an MBA both of them got from the US + 4 years experience overseas, do i will find opportunities with the actual situation of the economy ?

For people who live now in America, can you tell me a bachelor degree in business and an MBA both of them got from the US + 4 years experience overseas, do i will find opportunities with the actual situation of the economy ?

It depends on the area and the particulars of your education & experience. Some states and cities are better than others for certain types of jobs, obviously. I suggest you use sites like careerbuilder.com and monster.com to find a job title / job description that most closely matches your education & experience, then see how many openings are listed. If you're not going to be here anytime soon (due to DV & GC processing delay), it's worth revamping your resume and sending it out to jobs you're interested in, just to see how many companies are interested and respond to you.

My hubby and i are in health care area.I wonder what America has in store for us.
Regards and thanks for your answers.

My hubby and i are in health care area.I wonder what America has in store for us.
Regards and thanks for your answers.

US generally does not recognize medical degrees from other countries. You will have to pass the exam for the state you are working in to resume your practice. EX) my nurse friends all had to pass a certain score in TOFEL and retake the RN exam(english) in the state to to get their license. Right now in SF Bay area a lot of them are complaining that hospitals are not hiring too. However, it could change by next year.

It depends on the area and the particulars of your education & experience. Some states and cities are better than others for certain types of jobs, obviously. I suggest you use sites like careerbuilder.com and monster.com to find a job title / job description that most closely matches your education & experience, then see how many openings are listed. If you're not going to be here anytime soon (due to DV & GC processing delay), it's worth revamping your resume and sending it out to jobs you're interested in, just to see how many companies are interested and respond to you.

but you could find something if you search very well ?

but you could find something if you search very well ?

Upload your resume, they will contact you. You dont have to search hard there are always a lot of jobs there. However for the software development/IT field a lot of them could be contract jobs from IT staffing firms.

One other good source is to look on craigslist. These are generally smaller companies, but you might have a better chance and a faster response.

US generally does not recognize medical degrees from other countries. You will have to pass the exam for the state you are working in to resume your practice. EX) my nurse friends all had to pass a certain score in TOFEL and retake the RN exam(english) in the state to to get their license. Right now in SF Bay area a lot of them are complaining that hospitals are not hiring too. However, it could change by next year.
We are aware of those hurdles,we'll try our best to overcome them.Thanks for your perspective.

The concept of the cities in the US is widely different from the one in Europe. A City in the US has huge Area with a downtown mainly settled by either offices or poor minority neighbours, whereas most of the city population are living on the suburbs and most of the malls and shopping centres are in the suberbs too , and between neighbour to another there is huge distance , you will need to travel in order to shop or work or drop the gas in your car. Forget about public transportation that is useful a lot in Europe. I am talking about Medium cities in the US like philadelphia Houston dallas St Louis...not the big traditional ones like NYC or Chicago.

Philadelphia, Dallas and Houston are major cities. Public transportation is actually very good in Philadelphia.

All countries of the world are crap comparing to USA with no exeption
Not necessarily. If I live as part of the affluent business class or ruling government class in my country, it's definitely better than living as a salaryman in USA.

Not necessarily. If I live as part of the affluent business class or ruling government class in my country, it's definitely better than living as a salaryman in USA.
At work,i have seen people from those refered classes with medical emergencies and no local resources available,accordingly they have to be transfer in a rush to neighboring countries.Sometimes they arrive just in time,sometimes they don't.That's why i previously said that money or even the influence not always do the trick.
Life is complicated...
Regards.

At work,i have seen people from those refered classes with medical emergencies and no local resources available,accordingly they have to be transfer in a rush to neighboring countries.Sometimes they arrive just in time,sometimes they don't.That's why i previously said that money or even the influence not always do the trick.
Life is complicated...
Regards.
Of course. It is fortunate that I lived in the capital of my country, where there are several excellent hospitals with experienced doctors and modern equipments. If that is not good enough, Singapore with its world-class hospitals is only an hour away by flight. Not everybody from countries in our region can say the same.

Actually I wouldn't say Australia was crap compared to the USA.

Q

nO AUSTRALIA is full of raciste people, a lot, they do not accept diversity like US, beside australia is dry country not like US, we cant compare both of them, US is far better than any country in the world, militarly or economically, or entertainement, well except the social stuff but US has the best hospital in the world, it has four seasons all the year, and so diverse, believe me i have visited maany country in this world, i did not find like the US; dont tell me australia or NZ.

My concern is for those coming with nothing but a high school diploma, or a degree in areas not highly sought by US companies. These people would very likely start from the bottom, like any American with just a HS diploma. If they understand the situation and still consider USA better, then all is fine. The problem comes when they don't understand, then expect that arriving in USA with a green card automatically brings better life.

This is my concern. I've just turned 21, and still studying my Bachelors degree at Uni, which I honestly doubt will get me anything in the US. I realize it would be quite an impossible task for me to 'make it' very well in the US on my own with my lack of actual career experience, rather than just retail work. But I'm lucky I have my family over there. My step-dad is from Texas so I have a support network already for me once I get there. And luckily - my mum & step-dad have recently decided they'd like to move there, after being here together for 11 years. Unfortunately they decided too late and family based immigration now has me in a 7+ year wait rather than as an immediate relative which meant I could have moved next year with them... So I'm still hoping on the DV Lottery... I know I'll have to start 'from the bottom' but I'd have to do the same here still anyways, and I feel the US has much, much more career prospects suited to what I actually want to do, where as here I'm very, very limited.

Also having traveled back and forth to the US to see family over most Christmas holidays since I was 8, I feel as though it's my second home, and I feel like I belong there more than I do here in Australia. Nothing wrong with Australia in general, it's just not for me. So.. That's my reasons for wanting to move there.

This is my concern. I've just turned 21, and still studying my Bachelors degree at Uni, which I honestly doubt will get me anything in the US. I realize it would be quite an impossible task for me to 'make it' very well in the US on my own with my lack of actual career experience, rather than just retail work. But I'm lucky I have my family over there. My step-dad is from Texas so I have a support network already for me once I get there. And luckily - my mum & step-dad have recently decided they'd like to move there, after being here together for 11 years. Unfortunately they decided too late and family based immigration now has me in a 7+ year wait rather than as an immediate relative which meant I could have moved next year with them... So I'm still hoping on the DV Lottery... I know I'll have to start 'from the bottom' but I'd have to do the same here still anyways, and I feel the US has much, much more career prospects suited to what I actually want to do, where as here I'm very, very limited.

Also having traveled back and forth to the US to see family over most Christmas holidays since I was 8, I feel as though it's my second home, and I feel like I belong there more than I do here in Australia. Nothing wrong with Australia in general, it's just not for me. So.. That's my reasons for wanting to move there.
I think you are very fortunate because you have family over there and you speak English. The family ensures that from day one you will have a roof over your head and three warm meals without spending a penny. Since you speak English you can instantly pick up a basic job. When I first came to the US more than a decade ago, I had to pay for everything myself from the moment I stepped on U.S. soil. Coming from Indonesia where English is not an official language, I didn't speak the language fluently, which made life more difficult.

Without boring you with the details, let me just say that I worked my *** off during my first six years here. They were really the hardest years of my life; so hard that I almost burned out toward the end when I finally landed a decent job.

nO AUSTRALIA is full of raciste people, a lot, they do not accept diversity like US, beside australia is dry country not like US, we cant compare both of them, US is far better than any country in the world, militarly or economically, or entertainement, well except the social stuff but US has the best hospital in the world, it has four seasons all the year, and so diverse, believe me i have visited maany country in this world, i did not find like the US; dont tell me australia or NZ.

I am curious, have you been to Australia?

Q