Voluntary surrender of green card affecting derivatives green card ?

Nev Vas

Hello, I am a Green Card holder since 2018
And was the principal sponsor F41 for my 2 children who have their own green cards
( they are now age 22 and 20 years ) as my derivatives F43

Now I wish to surrender my green card later this year ( it’s been 6 years that I have been a green card holder from 2018 to 2023 )

My question is if I file the form and Surender my green card voluntarily later this year (2023) would it affect my children’s green cards specifically my daughter who is 20 years old now ( turns 21 only in August 2024 )
She is a full time student and lives in the US

I guess the specific question is if I surrender my card, does she lose hers ( since she is below 21 years age ) ? What does the law say ?

Thanks

Wow six years, that's a long time! Congratulations on getting that Green Card and for even being able to sponsor your two kiddos for their own Green Cards too. I was thinking about that same thing recently, but wasn't sure. Thanks for bringing up a great question.

According to US immigration law, your children's permanent resident cards are securely attached to or linked to yours, and shouldn't be affected if you choose to surrender your Green Card in the year 2023. Your daughter who turns 21 in August 2024 should in no way lose her residency. Keeping your Green Card another year would keep everything concise, so just consider that option too. All the best!