• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Visa Bulletin for July 2015

Well, in my book a possible scenario for you might look as follows: on the day of the interview the CO will look at the school certificate of your wife (you will need to present the original and a black & white copy) and try to determine whether this certificate is equivalent to an US High School degree, allowing for general University entry. Either this CO will feel competent enough about school certificates from Russia to make a determination right then and there OR she/he will put you on AP, contact the US Consulate in Moscow and ask for a formal determination of the specific school certificate your wife is holding. The latter will take some time, of course. It either will be one or the other, the determination of the CO, whatever it will be with or without AP, will be final. Sorry I don't have better news for you.
what do you mean "final"? of course, whatever the CO decides is final. isn't it?
How long APs in similar situation last? do you know?

what do you mean "final"? of course, whatever the CO decides is final. isn't it?
How long APs in similar situation last? do you know?
No, I do not, as this would fully depend on the response time of the US Consulate in Moscow in this case.

Edit: Just wondering, if DV education qualification for former Soviet Republic is so clear cut, why the US Consulate in Armenia suggests "... It is highly advised to bring documents relating to an applicant’s work history, including a work booklet, reference letters, etc.". If more or less everyone holds a 10 year school certificate and this is all smooth sailing for DV education requirements, why in the world would one be "highly advised" to additionally bring along work related documentation? Just saying...

Last edited:
No, I do not, as this would fully depend on the response time of the US Consulate in Moscow in this case.

Edit: Just wondering, if DV education qualification for former Soviet Republic is so clear cut, why the US Consulate in Armenia suggests "... It is highly advised to bring documents relating to an applicant’s work history, including a work booklet, reference letters, etc.". If more or less everyone holds a 10 year school certificate and this is all smooth sailing for DV education requirements, why in the world would one be "highly advised" to additionally bring along work related documentation? Just saying...
Similar requirement is stated by the US Consulate in Russia: "Documents about your educational and employment history, if applicable: original, photocopy, and English translation, if required.". Don't other Consulates require similar docs also?

Actually no, most consulates don't ask for work proof as well. It may be concern over school equivalency, but I'd suspect it is probably to help show you can support yourself in the U.S. - different consulates often have different standards about meeting the public charge requirement dependent on local conditions.

Candeu, I am slightly amazed that with the hours you must have spent quizzing me on my blog, and others here that this never popped up before, but anyway....

Now, with the secondary certificate you are mentioning, could someone enter a university in a foreign country such as UK or USA. Or would that take additional study time?

Candeu, I am slightly amazed that with the hours you must have spent quizzing me on my blog, and others here that this never popped up before, but anyway....

Now, with the secondary certificate you are mentioning, could someone enter a university in a foreign country such as UK or USA. Or would that take additional study time?
hi Simon,
Usually with the secondary school certificates of post Soviet Republics it should be possible to enter a university in USA. So yes. As I said most of the people in Armenia have this kind of certificate and get dv visas.

hi Simon,
Usually with the secondary school certificates of post Soviet Republics it should be possible to enter a university in USA. So yes. As I said most of the people in Armenia have this kind of certificate and get dv visas.

And your wife's are similar? Forgive me, but what is all the concern about then?

And your wife's are similar? Forgive me, but what is all the concern about then?
Yes, my wife's is similar. my only concern was that she left the school in Russia, but the interview will be in Armenia. or you think if the education system in Soviet Republics is simlar, then it does not matter in which republic the applicant left the school?

Yes, my wife's is similar. my only concern was that she left the school in Russia, but the interview will be in Armenia. or you think if the education system in Soviet Republics is simlar, then it does not matter in which republic the applicant left the school?

You sound OK. Armenia must have seen some Russian educated candidates before!

Mr @Britsimon ,from the link of Oxford u posted,they say :

If your qualification is listed as being insufficient to make a competitive application to Oxford, then you will need to undertake further study if you wish to apply.

You could take British A-levels (theBritish Council may know where you can take A-levels in your country), the International Baccalaureate (IB), or any other qualifications listed as acceptable on this page. The first year of a bachelor's degree from another university could also be an acceptable alternative.

Would this be applied for me and my O'Level certificate as I've passed a first year of a bachelor's degree and even graduated with a BDS ,i know i've asked alot about this subject but i can't help but to worry.

If your qualification is listed as being insufficient to make a competitive application to Oxford, then you will need to undertake further study if you wish to apply.

You could take British A-levels (theBritish Council may know where you can take A-levels in your country), the International Baccalaureate (IB), or any other qualifications listed as acceptable on this page. The first year of a bachelor's degree from another university could also be an acceptable alternative.

Would this be applied for me and my O'Level certificate as I've passed a first year of a bachelor's degree and even graduated with a BDS ,i know i've asked alot about this subject but i can't help but to worry.

No. O levels are not sufficient for us college entry. And whilst Oxford may give a credit for the first year of an advanced degree course, us immigration law for DV, does not.

Note that it says "could", not "will" and this is Oxford specific admissions anyway and nothing to do with DV. Your country embassy should be able to tell you what is considered equivalent for DV.