Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

If they are minor traffic tickets and you have payed them, USCIS doesn't care about them. There have been some reports of IOs asking if they have been payed, but generally minor traffic tickets are not an issue.

You can always provide a verbal disclosure of "I've had a few minor traffic tickets, but have payed them all" at interview if IO specifically asks about citations.

dont drink and drive

Hi,

You have minor traffic violations. I wouldn't worry too much about them.

Get all the documentation ready in case interviewing officer asks about them.
Do no tvolunteer information if not asked.

and man be careful not to drink and drive. That may cause trouble. Otherwise you should be fine.

All the best

Non-DUI traffic violations and Good Moral Character

I tried to look it up on the boards but the answers are conflicting, so I am trying to get a current consensus on the following subject.

My wife has some non-DUI traffic tickets (running stop sign, speeding 14 miles over the limit and driving on the wrong side of the road). All the tickets were paid, she never appeared in any court.

What should she put as answers in the Good Moral Character section?

15. Have you ever committed a crime or offense for which you were not arrested? - yes? A ticketed traffic offense would seem to imply the yes answer.

16. Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained - yes or no? I am thinking no - she was never arrested nor detained, not sure if a traffic ticket amounts to a citation or not.

17. Have you ever been charged with committing any crime or offense? - I am thinking yes.

Incidentally enough, I don't have to worry myself about those points - no offenses on my record :)

Thanks

No to Quesion 15 - First, it is for serious crime. Secondly You are temporarly stopped and cited by a cop so that is euivalent to arrest for traffic violations.

I believe intent of Question 15 is to see if you have done any crime
for which you are never caught.

15 = No
16 = Yes
17 = No

15. Have you ever committed a crime or offense for which you were not arrested? - yes? A ticketed traffic offense would seem to imply the yes answer.

16. Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained - yes or no? I am thinking no - she was never arrested nor detained, not sure if a traffic ticket amounts to a citation or not.

17. Have you ever been charged with committing any crime or offense? - I am thinking yes.

The answer to 17 is 'no'. The legal definition of 'crime' and 'offense' differs from some common usage cases of the words. Simple traffic violations not involving drugs, alcohol or injury will typically not be a crime nor an offense.

Traffic Ticket

Hi Guys....

I just got a traffic ticket last Friday as I am about to apply for Citizenship in 2 weeks. I have scheduled a court date to fight it off and its set for early May.
Do you think I should wait to clear my ticket before applying for Citizenship?

Its a minor violation and I personally think it should not matter but I would like to hear what you all have to say.

Thank you

Copper-

if it is a minor violation, just pay fine and get a copy of it so you can take it with you to the interview (just if you are asked for proof, you can show the proof to the interview).

If you want to clear it by going to the court, it is your choice, but what if you lose? it will cost you than just fine. you can still apply for citizenship even if it is a minor violation, but I am afraid that it will delay either interview or oath ceremony until you pay off or you fight it off.

The violation involve points so I will certainly fight it off and I am confident that it will be waived. My court date is 3 weeks after I apply for Citizenship and it will be settled the same day. It will be a atleast a couple of months before I get an interview date so by then everything will be clear.
I wanted to make sure that there is no problem if one applied for citizenship while he/she has a traffic ticket pending.

The violation involve points so I will certainly fight it off and I am confident that it will be waived. My court date is 3 weeks after I apply for Citizenship and it will be settled the same day. It will be a atleast a couple of months before I get an interview date so by then everything will be clear.
I wanted to make sure that there is no problem if one applied for citizenship while he/she has a traffic ticket pending.

Before Q15-21 there is a table and the table has a outcome column.

You can write "pending" in that column

DMV citations payment record

I have had 2 speeding violations in last 5 years. I got the ticket in mail and made the payment. How do I get the record of this for the interview? I might have the original ticket somewhere but no record to prove that I have paid them

My N-400 interview is coming up

Thanks

Driving record(s)

I want to just check if it is required/recommended to obtain driving record from DMV for my upcoming interview. I have two speeding tickets one in '99 and other in '03. Both are paid and were just above ~10-15 miles over limit.

Appreciate your inputs!

Opinion on this subject runs the gamut from you don't need to provide any documentation for a $500 fine or less (which is actually what the application form and related documents say), to you should go to each court in your local area and get a letter saying you have no outstanding fines or arrests. If you read the interview experience of most folks, it does not seem to come up, which suggests the former rather than the latter. However if getting your DMV records makes you feel more prepared then go get them.

Opinion on this subject runs the gamut from you don't need to provide any documentation for a $500 fine or less (which is actually what the application form and related documents say), to you should go to each court in your local area and get a letter saying you have no outstanding fines or arrests. If you read the interview experience of most folks, it does not seem to come up, which suggests the former rather than the latter. However if getting your DMV records makes you feel more prepared then go get them.
There seems to be some evidence that if you've actually gone to court with a traffic ticket rather than just pay the fine then you may be asked to produce court documentation even if it wouldn't be needed just on the basis of the ticket itself.

Challenged a traffic ticket in court? You better take court deposition along with you to interview

Hi,

i went to interview with all documents i could think of including never was arrested (no criminal/civil/DV etc...) record from the local court house.

IO asked, if i went to court ever to challenge the traffic tickets. I said YES. I have challenged a traffic ticket 2 years back (fine amount was about $72) - and was found guilty and paid the fine:(

IO issued an N-14 and asked to submit the certified court deposition indicating i paid that fine - specific to the above case.

So it looks like that even if the traffic tickets are small fines, if you have challenged tickets - you better should take certified court deposition with the copy of docket - even if you are found guilty or not.

It really depends on IO and/or DO as some IOs only care if the ticket was for something serious like DUI. Bottom line, the determination of good moral character is subjective and every IO approaches it differently.