Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

Some postrers here have experienced that USCIS IO do not care if you told them you paid the fine but IOS may insist it is a big deal if you todl them
you went to court. They might think you went to court because you
amy not have a prepaid option for your ticket. If you have to go to court
usually it is a big deal (the charge is more serious).

So if you only cares about immigration, paying tehfine without going to court may be a better choice. Otherwise, make your informed decidion yoruslef

Some postrers here have experienced that USCIS IO do not care if you told them you paid the fine but IOS may insist it is a big deal if you todl them
you went to court. They might think you went to court because you
amy not have a prepaid option for your ticket. If you have to go to court
usually it is a big deal (the charge is more serious).

So if you only cares about immigration, paying tehfine without going to court may be a better choice. Otherwise, make your informed decidion yoruslef

If you decide to plead not guilty you must go to court. Pleading not guilty to a traffic ticket doesn't say anything about the seriousness of the charge.

If you decide to plead not guilty you must go to court. Pleading not guilty to a traffic ticket doesn't say anything about the seriousness of the charge.

It is only what USCIS IOs think that matters and some posters reported that
soem IOs indeed think this way.

IO amy not know or they are not so sure that you went to court because you do not want to plead guilty to something minor.
They just assume you went to court because you were summoned to court and you had to go to court and it might be something
serious.

You can protest in yoru civic test. If IOs ask what right you have according to Bill of Rights, you can say you have teh right
not to plead guilty but that is false so far as immigration goes as you good IO officers demonstrate to me today

Last edited by a moderator:
Arrested for Traffic Violation

Back in 99, I received a ticket for driving through a red light, and failed to pay the ticket. Naturally, I had a court date which I did not show up to and thus there was a warrant out for me. Unfortunately for me, I got pulled over again and naturally arrested. Well, we cleared everything through a lawyer after I payed some fines and stuff. I have never been arrested since, and have a clean record.

I am planning on declaring this in the application, but what else will I need to do such as more documentation and other stuff?

Back in 99, I received a ticket for driving through a red light, and failed to pay the ticket. Naturally, I had a court date which I did not show up to and thus there was a warrant out for me. Unfortunately for me, I got pulled over again and naturally arrested. Well, we cleared everything through a lawyer after I payed some fines and stuff. I have never been arrested since, and have a clean record.

I am planning on declaring this in the application, but what else will I need to do such as more documentation and other stuff?

Do you have any of the court documents that show it has been cleared? Maybe police records? Pretty much I'd bring everything I had from that instance. The fact though that it was 10 years ago probably will help you, though the IO might need a record of your DMV record just to make sure there wasn't any other traffic violations that you incured over that time (paid or not paid).

I don't think it will be much of an issue in my opinion...

Thank you for the responses

All this took place in 1999 and was resolved in 1999. After this incident, I haven't received any driving tickets with point, or anything that cost over $500.

What is the statutory period or timeline?

I need to go back to the clerk's office and get all documents that this was resolved. I need to get all this before I am eligible to apply by the end of this year.

Do you guys know how long it will take for me to get the documents from the clerk's office? Is there a waiting period after I apply or do they pull up everything and make a certified copy and give it to you on the spot?

Thanks for all your help.

Since it happened outside statutory period of last 5 years, I doubt the IO will even dig deeper into the arrests. You're talking about an arrest that happened 10 years ago and the court may not even be able to provide documents that old.

Thank you

That's a relief to hear - I still hope I can get some proof that it has been resolved way back then and nothing pending.

Thank you for the responses

Get the court disposition if you can. Because it involved an arrest, the interviewer is likely to ask for it even though it was more than 5 years ago. And if you don't have it, your oath could be delayed.

Will do

I don't want to delay anything so I plan on going there this weekend. I'm not even sure if they are open on the weekends. I'll call them today and see if they can mail it to me or I might have to take a half a day someday.

Anything else you guys recommend.

Thanks

I don't want to delay anything so I plan on going there this weekend. I'm not even sure if they are open on the weekends. I'll call them today and see if they can mail it to me or I might have to take a half a day someday.

Anything else you guys recommend.

Thanks

Ask the court specifically if they can provide you such an old record, and if they can't, if they can they provide you something in writing attesting to that fact.

Glad you mentioned that

I'm glad you mentioned that. I didn't even know that was an option. I guess I am going to try to ask them for anything showing that my case was dealt with then. Something, anything.

Thanks again.

If you think long and hard about it, you were fortunate that you were pulled over again and arrested in 1999 itself!!! What if the arrest took place in 2006?

Unfortunately for me, I got pulled over again and naturally arrested. Well, we cleared everything through a lawyer after I payed some fines and stuff.

Fortunate

I am glad all this is over, but I am kicking myself for even being in this situation. Being a teeanger at the time, I didn't know better. You are right, it's better that it happened 10 years ago then now. I just want this not to be an issue for my citizenship.

Go to the court house, if there are any records, get it. If none, get a letter from the court clerk that there is none (i.e., they have destroyed the record).

help!! multiple traffic ticket

Hi guru,

I need some piece of advise from you.

my scheduled interview will be on April 23, but just last week, I've got 2 traffic violations.

-illegal parking
-carpool lane

and last year ive got 4 violations

-illegal parking (car towed)
-bitting the red light
-over speeding
-no left turn

year 2004 and 2005, i've got 2 violations also, but I was able to go to schooling so I assume that my records was been deleted.

I am so worried that my application will get denied due to multiple traffic ticket.

Does anyone here experienced same situation as mine? what did you do?
how did you answer the IOs queries with regards to your traffic ticket?

Thank you so much! Your immediate response is very much appreciated!

I think parking tickets are OK. You can ignore them as long as you paid teh fine.

For moving violation tickets, did you dislcose them? If not, you
can just keep them undisclsoed like many do. Do FBI name check also
reveal ordinary traffic vioilation?