Tracking N-565 form?

Furthermore, once Jim gets the certificate of citizenship/naturalization make sure he notifies the social security office that he is a citizen, they might not know if nobody ever told them when he naturalized. So, again, make sure he ends up getting as much ID and proof of citizenship as possible. We live at a time when if one doesn't have the right documents in this country one is nothing and can't do anything. No ID in this country means you cannot do many things.

By the way, can he apply to get the State ID reissued? I think you mentioned he didn't have a driver license but he had some sort of ID. Did he leave a record of his citizenship and fingerprints at some place, military, university?

Anyway, I would try to contact the ombudsman, or do the Infopass or contact senator/congressman too.

Last edited by a moderator:
:eek:
I didn't realize you had responded! I haven't visited this in over a week. I'm sorry!

Jim visited the local office and they told him to send in the N-565. I don't think he explained the entire situation to them. I'll tell him to see about getting an appointment again to explain things and see what they can do. I just called Jim at home and he's calling the office now to make an appointment. Hopefully he can get in quickly and if that fails, we can contact our congressman or ombudsman (I'm not sure what this is but I'll figure it out)

Thank you SO Much for all your advice! You have no idea how much this means to me. I'm printing it all out for us to read together tonight.:)

At least 6 or 7 months of wait, this is what I found by looking at random Nebraska cases. This is just plain crazy:

Receipt Number: LIN081015XXXX

Application Type: N565, APPLICATION FOR A NEW NATURALIZATION CERTIFICATE

Current Status: Case received and pending.

On February 14, 2008, we received this N565 APPLICATION FOR A NEW NATURALIZATION CERTIFICATE and request that we waive the filing fee. We have waived the filing fee and mailed you a notice describing how we will process your case. Please follow any instructions on this notice. We will notify you by mail when we make a decision or if we need something from you. If you move while this case is pending, call customer service. We process cases in the order we receive them. You can use our processing dates to estimate when yours will be done. This case is at our NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER location. Follow the link below to check processing dates. You can also receive automatic e-mail updates as we process your case. Just follow the link below to register.

According to some documents I read in USCIS they claim they need to verify that the naturalization was done properly. Come on, even when one is naturalized can't they do the simple thing and issue a new certificate. It is just paranoid thinking on their part, and we keep feeding the beast with our fees. If they didn't have so much money from us they couldn't be "screwing" our lives so much with interminable checks and verifications and reverifications and looking under every fingernail for the smallest amount of dirt.

I know for now I am just talking to myself, but I hope this information might be useful to someone, now or in the future.

I have done a bit of research and it seems that most N-565 cases are not to replace (for free) a certificate that was issued with incorrect information by USCIS. It would seem that most N-565 applications are probably to replace a lost or destroyed certificate. I am not sure, as I don't have an easy way to test this hypothesis, but I would think that correcting a certificate might be quicker than replacing a certificate that was lost. Anyway, I have seen a lot of cases waiting since february, march, but I have seen also some cases that were approved quickly, six, three or just a few weeks. I don't know why the variance, but I would venture to say that correcting a certificate (in the case that the original incorrect certificate is sent with the application) should be straightforward. More recent certificates might be easier to replace if they have all the information and documents captured electronically (complete conjecture on my part). I would guess that the more complicated cases are those for which the original certificate was issued years ago and might need more investigation to see if the applicant should get a certificate. Perhaps it involves retrieving the A-file from archives.

Anyway, I am trying to be optimistic and think that I'll see a new certificate in the mail in a few months.

The Nebraska service center received my request on 4/3/2014 and they finally approved my request on 10/30/2014. I had to wait to do an e-request for a new approval letter until 11/29 which I did and it said I would hear something until 1/5/2015! Unbeknownst to me they mailed my citizenship certificate on 10/31 without sending me the text message alert they were previously doing. They sent it certified and I therefore had to sign for it. Since I had no idea they were mailing I was waiting for the text alert. I decided to check my status on line on 12/12 and the status read that the post office returned my certificate on 12/11 because it was unclaimed....grrr!!! I can't believe it! They have my correct address because they mailed me two letters that I received with no problem. Now the most important documents: the approval letter and my certificate were not received. I called the USCIS call center and they were useless. They did the e-file to remail but I have to wait 15 days for an "answer". And what a coincidence that 2 days later on 12/13 I get the letter saying they returned my certificate. I called the post office and they asked for a tracking # which the USCIS said they don't have. The post office said that they would leave 3 notices that they were holding certified mail for me and I got none of them. This leads me to believe that the USCIS is trying to sabotage my request so I have to re-file and pay another $345.00!!! I need to go out of the country on 2/18 and have no idea what to do:(

That's horrible. USCIS is very slow. I filed for a n-565 on May 5, 2014 and I still havent received anything yet. No emails, text or letters beside the receipt notice. As of today, I'm going on 9 months of waiting. C84 I dont think you have to repay for another application. Just find the proper people to talk to and tell them whats happening. What state are you in? Im in florida and sent my application to the texas service center.

The Nebraska service center received my request on 4/3/2014 and they finally approved my request on 10/30/2014. I had to wait to do an e-request for a new approval letter until 11/29 which I did and it said I would hear something until 1/5/2015! Unbeknownst to me they mailed my citizenship certificate on 10/31 without sending me the text message alert they were previously doing. They sent it certified and I therefore had to sign for it. Since I had no idea they were mailing I was waiting for the text alert. I decided to check my status on line on 12/12 and the status read that the post office returned my certificate on 12/11 because it was unclaimed....grrr!!! I can't believe it! They have my correct address because they mailed me two letters that I received with no problem. Now the most important documents: the approval letter and my certificate were not received. I called the USCIS call center and they were useless. They did the e-file to remail but I have to wait 15 days for an "answer". And what a coincidence that 2 days later on 12/13 I get the letter saying they returned my certificate. I called the post office and they asked for a tracking # which the USCIS said they don't have. The post office said that they would leave 3 notices that they were holding certified mail for me and I got none of them. This leads me to believe that the USCIS is trying to sabotage my request so I have to re-file and pay another $345.00!!! I need to go out of the country on 2/18 and have no idea what to do:(

Do you have any updates on your filing status since your last posting? I'm going on 8 mos. waiting on my Cert.

That's horrible. USCIS is very slow. I filed for a n-565 on May 5, 2014 and I still havent received anything yet. No emails, text or letters beside the receipt notice. As of today, I'm going on 9 months of waiting. C84 I dont think you have to repay for another application. Just find the proper people to talk to and tell them whats happening. What state are you in? Im in florida and sent my application to the texas service center.

Do you have any updates on your filing status since your last posting? I'm going on 8 mos. waiting on my Cert.