1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tracking N-565 form?

Discussion in 'US Citizenship' started by Huracan, Jul 23, 2008.

  1. Huracan

    Huracan Registered Users (C)


    I need to send a N-565 form to replace a certificate of citizenship that arrived with a typo. Depending on the State one lives it has to be sent either to Texas or Nebraska service center. In my case it is to Nebraska. However, when I see the processing time for the those service centers there is no mention of N-565. Does someone know if this type of application can be tracked at all. I mean from the point of view of processing time. I guess they'll send me a receipt notice and I'll be able to do some tracking that way, but we know how well the case status online works, don't we ;)
  2. Bobsmyth

    Bobsmyth Volunteer Moderator

  3. Huracan

    Huracan Registered Users (C)

    Hi Bobsmyth,

    Thanks, that's also the only thing I had been able to find on the Internet. I am surprised that the service center processing times for Nebraska and Texas don't show this at all.
  4. aabbcc11

    aabbcc11 Registered Users (C)

    Sorry to hear about your continuing dealings, it is never ending for you! Quite possibly there is limited demand for this procedure, so you will get done very fast in this new endeavor.
    Makes me think of that famous line from Godfather 3, lol.
  5. Huracan

    Huracan Registered Users (C)

    Hi aabbcc,

    Thanks for your words of encouragement. I am trying to console myself that it could be worse. That I could be stuck on name check. As it is, everybody in the family has a U.S. passport, and this certificate of citizenship was the icing on the cake. Upon more careful look at the certificate I also noticed that they typed the A number without the leading 0, i.e. if the number is A065323452 they typed A65323452. I checked with my naturalization certificate and there it was done with the 0, so I am going to point this out in the N-565.

    I am also hoping that this kind of application is handled quickly. However, when I check the processing times in Nebraska for other type of applications I get a bit worried :( . I see a bunch of 2007, and not too much 2008 processing times. Many types of applications take a year or so. Anyway, I'll try to keep optimistic and think that it will be 4 to 6 months like Bobsmyth's provided link says.

    I think this is the sentence you are thinking about and you are very right: "Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in." :D
  6. LolaLi

    LolaLi Active Member

    Hi Huracan,

    If it is just the leading '0' or zero that is missing, you do not need to replace the certificate. USCIS knows that if there aren't a certain number of digits, they are to add leading zeros in front. My certificate does not have the zero in front of it as well - so it depends on how the preparer entered it when they printed the certificate.
  7. Huracan

    Huracan Registered Users (C)

    Hi LolaLi,

    Yes, I agree with you, the leading 0 is a non-issue for most intents and purposes. No, the real problem is that they misspelled the name. However, as I have to replace the certificate of citizenship because of the name misspelling I can as well point out the A number thing. I wouldn't try to replace a certificate just for the A number, they would probably laugh at me and reject the N-565 application ;)
  8. Huracan

    Huracan Registered Users (C)

    This is not very encouraging :( :

    "National Customer Service Center Redux
    Sunday, March 9th, 2008

    I recently posted a description of the uselessness of the National Customer Service Center. I described my experiences with two cases, and I-212 and an N-565. After I received my unsatisfactory response regarding the N-565, I sought another avenue for satisfaction — the American Immigration Lawyers Association inquiry program. A week after I submitted the inquiry, I got a response from a noble AILA volunteer who helps run the program. The answer, forwarded to me from the Nebraska Service Center, was that the case was already approved and had been approved before I inquired of the National Customer Service Center. The new naturalization certificate was in the mail. It seems the inquiry is what prompted someone to put the certificate in the mail. My client told me yesterday that he received it. The lesson is simple, if you lose your naturalization certificate, you can pay $380 to the government for a replacement. You will get it after a year if you are willing to spend an hour on the phone checking up and then hiring a lawyer who can access the AILA inquiry system to get the certificate made. And we should be clear — this was not an application for naturalization, this was a request to glue a photograph on a piece of paper and print in a name, a date, a birth date, and a city and mail it. Think if it took that much money effort and time to get a replacement drivers license — there would be a revolution."

    I got this from: http://www.montaglaw.com/blog/2008/03/
  9. Nimche

    Nimche Registered Users (C)

    That sucks. That is what I was exactly worried for yesterday when I got my NC. I probably couldn't re-unit with my wife for the rest of my life. I am sorry to say this but they are not capable of doing easy stuff, I have contacted them 8 times since yesterday and they still don't know that I am a USC.
  10. kennysd

    kennysd Registered Users (C)

    passport w/o NC

    I applied for my n-565 and have been waiting 5 months, how did you get a passport without your naturalization certificate? any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
  11. Huracan

    Huracan Registered Users (C)

    Hi kennysd,

    In case Nimche doesn't read this thread (it is better to send a private message if you want to contact a person directly) He got his Naturalization Certificate and I think it was fine. He was replying to this thread to show he is also unhappy about other aspects of immigration process. He got his passport with his naturalization certificate.

    I hope you get your certificate soon. 5 months is a lot of time for something so simple.
  12. kennysd

    kennysd Registered Users (C)

    thanks huracan for the reply. I am waiting impatiently for my replacement certificate. did you have to get yours replaced? If so how long did it take. I appreciate the sympathy. :eek:
  13. jenh5

    jenh5 Registered Users (C)

    Anybody else successfully had a replacement certificate come in?
    If so ..... How long did it take???
  14. Huracan

    Huracan Registered Users (C)

    Hi kennysd,

    You're welcome. In my case the certificate that has come with a typo and that I need to replace is the one for my child (certificate of citizenship). I haven't sent the N-565 form yet, but I am planning to do it soon, probably this week. I just need to get the passport photos. I am keeping my fingers crossed for six months, but I guess it might be more. It shouldn't take long for something so simple, but with USCIS even the simplest thing is complicated. I don't want to be political, but there are certain politicians and affiliated groups that make a sport of screwing up immigrants' life making sure the USCIS does a lot of process so no bad apple can go through. My take would be to do risk assessment, consider that it is a given some bad apples will go through, minimize risks but don't stall the production line. However, after the citizenship push of Clinton's years there has been a heavy backlash against USCIS relaxing adjudication standards.

    Anyway, in my case I haven't rushed to send the N-565 for a few reasons, but one of them is like when I am at a supermarket and I see a long line and then I get this feeling that if I shop a little bit longer the line will have decreased by the time I'm done. I am sure the supermarket chains know that and exploit it. I am sure a lot of immigration applicants are doing the same, as they see that the processing times are huge they (We) think that why should we hurry to get the applications in.

    My 2 cents.
  15. Huracan

    Huracan Registered Users (C)

    Not that I know, but I hope someone can contribute. I haven't even applied yet. Did you (or your husband) get an application number. Perhaps there is a way for your congressperson to get involved and do inquiries. I have read your other threads and it is a very unusual case of being unable to prove identity. By the way, did your husband have a passport, or why he didn't have one? Next time make sure he gets a passport and a passport card and keep those in separate secure places. In case the wallet is lost it will be easier to recover from the loss.

    Furthermore, I find extremely difficult to believe that someone might have the naturalization certificate folded into a wallet. No way, it makes no sense whatsoever. Are you sure there isn't anything fishy with your or your husband's story?
  16. jenh5

    jenh5 Registered Users (C)

    Yes, we received an application number. Our check that we sent was immediately deposited and I've been checking the application # online but there's never any updates. He did not have a passport. He was adopted when he was an infant. He has a Visa. The Social Security office would give us a sheet of paper stating that his name does match his SS#...but they would not give us another real Social Security card until we had an ID.
    Jim never had a driver's license. Only an ID card. Why, I don't know. I just found this out not too long ago. We were going to go to the DMV to get his driver's license that week...and that's why he had his papers in his wallet. I had no idea he was carrying it around until it was already too late.
    We found out he was adopted 3 months ago. He never even realized what the Naturalization Certificate was. He always thought his parents were US citizens and he was just born abroad.
  17. jenh5

    jenh5 Registered Users (C)

    And I know it sounds crazy but it's all true...and we're very upset about everything. If I had known all that I know now, I this would have never happened.
  18. Huracan

    Huracan Registered Users (C)

    Hi Jenh5,

    You have mentioned a visa a few times, what kind of visa is this? You also mentioned the adoptive parents, and you mention one of them was/is a US citizen. Are both parents citizens now? What year did Jim turn 18? Does Jim ever remember having a Green Card. When you applied for N-565 how did you find out the A number and certificate number that has to be filled in the application? My guess is that your immediate needs are about documenting Jim. Do the adoptive parents keep any information about Jim, birth certificates, adoption decrees, Green Card. If he has the right documents still around there is a slight chance he might be able to apply for a passport directly.
  19. jenh5

    jenh5 Registered Users (C)

    Thank you for replying, Huracan. It's so nice to have someone to talk to about this who seems to know more than I do.
    We don't know what kind of Visa it is. Everything in it is in Korean. The only info in English is his name and the word "Adoption". It has his picture in it.
    Yes, both of Jim's adoptive parents are US Citizens now. His father was in Korea at the time of the adoption. He's retired military.
    Jim was born in 1972...which means he turned 18 in 1990
    No - He never had a green card. He was under 2 when he was brought to the states.
    Jim's adoptive parents had a copy of the Naturalization Certificate. They mailed that to us. There was never a birth certificate. His birth mother and father's names are not known.
    Adoption decree...That's probably the other thing Jim has a copy of. It's multiple papers that are mostly in Korean. They do state Jim's adoptive parents names and the fact that they are adopting him from Korea.
    I'll start doing some additional research on applying for a passport. I thought you had to have a SS Card and a government issued ID to obtain one, but you make it sound otherwise so I'll start looking into it.
    Thanks so much for your help.
  20. Huracan

    Huracan Registered Users (C)

    I forgot to come back to this thread. I sent my child's N-565 yesterday. It's funny while I was there an older gentleman was asking some questions to the passport lady about an old lady who lost her certificate of naturalization. The passport lady didn't know what to do, so I intervened and told this man about N-565 and www.uscis.gov. Anyway, I understand this is tough, and believe me I also find incredibly frustrating that they take so long to process N-565 there is no reason in my mind to justify such poor performance.

    It seems Jim has enough documents to move forward, in particular having a photocopy of the naturalization certificate is great. I read somewhere on the Internet about a person in a similar situation, unable to prove US citizenship who went to DMV, talked with a supervisor and kind of said, if you think I am illegal, then get me deported otherwise give me a drivers license. Apparently the supervisor or director made a call to USCIS and verified citizenship and that person got the drivers license. Anyway, each DMV is going to be different and this is kind of not typical procedure.

    Has Jim tried to schedule an Infopass with a local office, go there with a photocopy of the naturalization certificate and explain the situation and see if something can be done either quicker or at least give him the chance of getting a drivers license?

    I am not sure how the adoptive children naturalization law was at the time. I don't doubt that he had a naturalization certificate, in particular if you saw it. However, naturalization certificates are (as far as I know) only given to people who naturalize. For that he would have had to naturalize after he was 18. My guess is that if he had such document it most likely was a certificate of citizenship.

    Yes, I think he'll need some ID for the passport too :(

    My advice for the future is that once he gets the certificate of citizenship replaced to apply for both a passport and a passport card and try to keep them at a safe place, ideally in two different safe places, so if one gets lost, the other can be used to replace the lost one. Passports are easier/faster to replace if lost compared with a certificate of naturalization/citizenship.

    I would try an Infopass with USCIS office and let them know the situation, if the officer is not sympathetic he might try to speak to a supervisor. Other thing is that he might choose to contact senator/congressperson or the USCIS ombudsman to explain the situation. I think in some dire cases they might expedite processing. This seems to me like something worth expediting.

Share This Page