• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Spouse eligibility

tronsky

This is in reference to question 2 under "eligibility" of this document:
travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Diversity-Visa/DV-Instructions-Translations/DV-2017-Instructions-Translations/DV-2017%20Instructions%20and%20FAQs.pdf

I am from a country that is not eligible but my spouse is from a country that is. Last year my spouse applied and included me in his application.

However, that document makes it sound like my spouse and I could enter twice, with one application where he is the primary applicant and I am the derivative spouse, and a second application where I am the primary applicant and he is the derivative spouse, with both applications being "charged" to his citizenship at birth.

Is this true? Are we eligible for two applications? Has anybody been in this identical situation and submitted two applications based on one spouse's place of birth?

That document certainly makes it sounds like we are eligible to enter twice.

Yes, you can submit an application in your own name with your spouse as your derivative and using his country of birth as your eligibility country. If your application gets selected, you will both need to present evidence of meeting the educational or work requirement qualifications.

However, that document makes it sound like my spouse and I could enter twice, with one application where he is the primary applicant and I am the derivative spouse, and a second application where I am the primary applicant and he is the derivative spouse, with both applications being "charged" to his citizenship at birth.

Just a little clarification though, eligibility is based on country of birth, not place of "citizenship at birth". It's possible to be born in a particular country and not be a citizen of that country - not all countries confer citizenship on a person by virtue of being born there.

Thanks for the reply. So my spouse and I can submit an application each for a total of 2 applications, and neither of these will disqualify the other?