• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Some questions about Social Security Card + Entering the US

Hi,

I have some qeustions. Please excuse my lack of knowledge!

I will be filling the SS-5 form and going to the social security office to apply for a social security card.
(I applied in my DS260, but the card was delivered to an address I don't have access to now)

Can I confirm that I only need my Foreign Passport and Greencard to apply for a social security number/card?
(I ask because the form mentions birth certificates and other things, which I don't have)

2. Can I confirm that I can just turn up at the social security office without an appointment to apply for my social security number/card application?
(the call center told me this is correct, but some people keep telling me to book an appointment)

3. I entered the USA for the first time back in late October last year and haven't been there since. I have had to come back home and sort out/finish my medical work/job/training before moving to the US permanently.

Can I confirm that my permanent residency status will be fine for now as long as I enter the USA every 12 months?

Thank you!!!!!!

1. If your SSN card was previously issued and delivered to an address you no longer have access to, that means you will be applying for a replacement card. You only need a valid form of ID and proof of status in that case as the required supporting documents.

2. You can book an appointment ahead of time (often preferable). You can also show up without an appointment.

3. It depends. How long do you plan on entering the USA every 12 months before you move to the US permanently?