• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Social Security Number

madu12

Registered Users (C)
This is regarding the SSN. When I filled the DS-230 Part II , I answered "Yes" to the question 33b. I suppose I will get my SSN automatically from DHS ,since I have answered to the question 33b as "Yes". Is it correct ?

I came to USA on 13th Nov and din't receive the SSN. Normally how many days it will take to receive the SSN?

Do I need to go to a SSA office and apply for the SSN, although I have answered "Yes" to the question 33b.

Appriciate all of your comments

Please do not start threads that have already been started. There is exactly the same thread on this page, just look for it. Oh God, you guys just want everything answered for you, without eve looking for it first.
P.S. To all forum members, please do not answer in this thread, let madu12 to read the other thread that is leading a discussion on the SSN topic.

Please do not start threads that have already been started. There is exactly the same thread on this page, just look for it. Oh God, you guys just want everything answered for you, without eve looking for it first.
P.S. To all forum members, please do not answer in this thread, let madu12 to read the other thread that is leading a discussion on the SSN topic.

Natta, you are right , i wont give him any answer , he has to read this thread from the beginning...................

This is regarding the SSN. When I filled the DS-230 Part II , I answered "Yes" to the question 33b. I suppose I will get my SSN automatically from DHS ,since I have answered to the question 33b as "Yes". Is it correct ?

I came to USA on 13th Nov and din't receive the SSN. Normally how many days it will take to receive the SSN?

Do I need to go to a SSA office and apply for the SSN, although I have answered "Yes" to the question 33b.

Appriciate all of your comments

folks,
madu is a 2010 winner. he must have been busy relocating himself and family since he landed in the country on the 13th ... may have not updated himself on other posts.

madu,
go to your nearest ss office. bring your gc and birth certs (original). apply on the spot or you can fill up the form online and bring it with you. you shd get your ss card in a week after submission.

Good answer for my question

I found the answer and put it here for others information

http://www.ssa.gov/ssnvisa/Handout_11_1.html

Social Security Numbers for U.S. Permanent Residents

We are pleased you intend to immigrate to the United States. Upon admission to the United States based on your immigrant visa, you will be a U.S. permanent resident. Each permanent resident needs a Social Security Number (SSN). An SSN will help you to work in the United States, to conduct business with a bank or financial institution, to pay your taxes or to be listed as a dependent on a tax return, and for other purposes.

If You Requested an SSN When You Applied for Your Visa
If you requested an SSN card as part of your visa application, U.S. Department of State (DoS), Form DS 230, Part II, Questions 33a and 33b, and you are age 18 or older when you arrive in the United States, the U.S. DoS and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security will share with us the information needed to issue you an SSN card. Therefore, you do not need to fill out a special application or go to a Social Security office to get an SSN.

We will assign you an SSN and issue you a Social Security card after you arrive in the United States. If you already have an SSN, we will issue you a replacement SSN card. We will mail your SSN card to the U.S. mailing address where the Department of Homeland Security will send your Permanent Resident Card. You should receive your Social Security card within 3 weeks after you arrive.

IMPORTANT: Call us if you do not receive your Social Security card after 3 weeks or if you change your mailing address after arrival in the United States. If you call us, please have this letter with you. It will help us answer your questions.

If You Did Not Request an SSN When You Applied for Your Visa or You are Under Age 18
You must come to a Social Security office to apply for an SSN if you did not request an SSN card as part of your visa application or you are under age 18 when you arrive in the United States. When you have a permanent address, please call us to find out where to apply for an SSN card.