Social Security card, Green card and citizenship

THe fact that you are a permanent resident is in itself a permission to work just like being a citizen. The conditions that apply to GC do not have anything to do with work (with the excemption of certain sensitive jobs like FBI). SO if you still have something written on your SS card after you got your GC, then go to the SSA and have them give you a new SS card free of any extra writings.
Like others already said, when your green card expires, your permanent residency DOES NOT expire and so your permission to work does not expire. To the best of my knowledge there is no law that says you have to renew your card (except that obvious fact that you cannot travel internationally and maybe some hard-nose employers).
Removing the "writing" on your card is really to avoid confusion for someone who is looking at it.

You don't become out of status when your GC expires. Similarly, you don't lose your citizenship when your passport expires.

So is there any point in renewing your GC once it expires if you don't travel outside the US? The law seems specific to having to carry your GC at all times, but it doesn't specify it has to be valid.

Last edited by a moderator:
So is there any point in renewing your GC once it expires if you don't travel outside the US? The law seems specific to having to carry your GC at all times, but it doesn't specify it has to be valid.

As far as I have heard/read, renewing of the physical GC is not a requirement. There exists anecdotal evidence where people let their GC expire, and yet did not face any issues whatsoever with the INS when they went to renew it.

Practically speaking, it's always advisable to keep one's GC current. It can come in handy in many situations, if and when such situations arise.

Here's a personal example that answers that question. My original green card expired a few years ago, and I didn't bother renewing it. I was well aware that the expiration of the GC is NOT an expiration of status, but only the expiration of the document itself. One fay, after my GC has already been expired for about a year, an HR rep from the company I worked for at the time called me into her office and told me that I have to bring her a copy of my new green card. I gave her a link the the USCIS website and explained to her that my LPR status is still in effect, and so is my right to employment. She just refused to hear it. To make a long story short, I had to renew my GC.

There exists anecdotal evidence where people let their GC expire, and yet did not face any issues whatsoever with the INS when they went to renew it.

Exactly. My old GC was expired for over a year before I renewed it, and I had no issues whatsoever with the USCIS. They even extended my already expired GC for a year, while the new one was being manufactured.

Here's a personal example that answers that question. My original green card expired a few years ago, and I didn't bother renewing it. I was well aware that the expiration of the GC is NOT an expiration of status, but only the expiration of the document itself. One fay, after my GC has already been expired for about a year, an HR rep from the company I worked for at the time called me into her office and told me that I have to bring her a copy of my new green card. I gave her a link the the USCIS website and explained to her that my LPR status is still in effect, and so is my right to employment. She just refused to hear it. To make a long story short, I had to renew my GC.

That doesn't surprise me as HR departments have no idea about immigration issues, especially when it come to something like this.

I gave her a link the the USCIS website and explained to her that my LPR status is still in effect, and so is my right to employment. She just refused to hear it. To make a long story short, I had to renew my GC.
If you were able to provide other documents that satisfy the I-9 requirements, such as a DL + unrestricted SS card, then what she did by insisting on the green card was illegal. Too bad you didn't point out this section:
Form I-9 said:
ANTI-DISCRIMINATION NOTICE: It is illegal to discriminate against work eligible individuals. Employers CANNOT specify which document(s) they will accept from an employee. The refusal to hire an individual because of a future expiration date may also constitute illegal discrimination.

If you were able to provide other documents that satisfy the I-9 requirements, such as a DL + unrestricted SS card, then what she did by insisting on the green card was illegal. Too bad you didn't point out this section:

I wish I was a member of this forum back then!

In got my SS card back when they took it easy on these notations. I got my SS card in 1985 when I came here on a B1 visa and they still did not put any restrictions/wordings on the card.

But I read somewhere that it is a good idea to visit the SS office with proof of citizenship - so they can update their records to show I am now a citizen and eligible for certain citizen-only benefits.

I just applied for my passport. So, right now, I do not have anything - my green card was taken away at the interview/oath, and I have sent my naturalization certificate to get my passport and my passport has not arrived yet!! I will wait for my passport to arrive and then visit the SS office and update my status as a citizen.