Social Security card, Green card and citizenship

perm_lc

Registered Users (C)
I got SSN card when I was in H1B. It states that "INS work authorization required".

When and How this condition should be removed from SSN card? Is it after receiveng GC or only after naturalization?

Experts post your experience..

I got SSN card when I was in H1B. It states that "INS work authorization required".

When and How this condition should be removed from SSN card?
----after you got GC then go to SSA office fill up the form and you will get new SSN card without conditions in 2-3 weeks
Is it after receiveng GC or only after naturalization?
-----------------After naturalization again go to SSA office so that in SSA records it should be "Citizen"
Experts post your experience..

------------------------

------------------------

Thanks Ginnu,

Have you applied with new SS5 form to remove "valid for work with INS authorization" after you got GC? The SSN application does not have any optin for GC holders to specifically say about the GC status. It allows to enter either U.S citizen or legal alien allowed to work (it can be H1B too).

see the question 3 ..

http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.pdf

Will it be an issue at local SSA office?

The conditions on SSN are only removed once you become a citizen as a green card is your authorization to work.
Also, H1B is not a legal (resident) alien. Legal (resident) alien implies green card holder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you applied with new SS5 form to remove "valid for work with INS authorization" after you got GC? The SSN application does not have any optin for GC holders to specifically say about the GC status. It allows to enter either U.S citizen or legal alien allowed to work (it can be H1B too).
If you go to their office at least a couple of weeks after your GC approval, they should see in their system that you have a GC and figure out that the new card must not have the employment restriction.

The conditions on SSN are only removed once you become a citizen as a green card is your authorization to work.
The condition as written on the SS card is removed if you get a green card. Ask anybody who has a green card and applied for a new SS card.

The condition as written on the SS card is removed if you get a green card.

I was under the impression that GC is your authorization to work. In other words, if your GC expires you are no longer authorized to work whereas as a citizen there you are always authorized to work. At least that's what I got from the SSN website.
"If your status changes, and you have permission from the INS to work, then you will need to reapply for a new card that says "valid for work only with INS authorization", or if you become a citizen, without any notations at all."

http://www.ssa.gov/history/reports/ssnreportc3.html

http://www.rapidimmigration.com/usa/1_eng_coming_social.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I was under the impression that GC is your authorization to work. In other words, if your GC expires you are no longer authorized to work whereas as a citizen there you are always authorized to work.
That's one way to interpret it, but I and other green card holders I know received a new card with the condition removed. Other GC holders on the forum will concur.

I was under the impression that GC is your authorization to work. In other words, if your GC expires you are no longer authorized to work whereas as a citizen there you are always authorized to work. At least that's what I got from the SSN website.
"If your status changes, and you have permission from the INS to work, then you will need to reapply for a new card that says "valid for work only with INS authorization", or if you become a citizen, without any notations at all."

http://www.ssa.gov/history/reports/ssnreportc3.html

http://www.rapidimmigration.com/usa/1_eng_coming_social.html

Although the physical GC expires, one's status as a Permanent Resident does not expire. At least not without it being revoked and removed by an Immigration Judge. The expiration date on the GC is merely for replacement purposes so the cards can be recycled every few years and new/enhanced ones can be issued. In this manner it is just like a passport - your citizenship doesn't expire just because the passport has expired.

That's one way to interpret it, but I and other green card holders I know received a new card with the condition removed. Other GC holders on the forum will concur.

Absoultely concur, my conditions were removed once I received the GC (of course went to SSA to update it).

H-1B is also a legal alien - of the non-resident type.

A GC holder is a resident alien.

Yes, the SS card work conditions can be removed once you get a GC. This is in fact a major plus for having a GC.

Also, even if your green card expires you still remain a permanent resident. It's just the card that needs to be renewed every 10 years. I would think you are still allowed to work even after it expires - provided you otherwise continue to qualify for permanent residence, but someone needs to confirm this.

Wrong Interpretation

I was under the impression that GC is your authorization to work. In other words, if your GC expires you are no longer authorized to work whereas as a citizen there you are always authorized to work.

GC is your authorization NOT to work.

I would think you are still allowed to work even after it expires - provided you otherwise continue to qualify for permanent residence, but someone needs to confirm this.
That is correct. And you don't even have to show a green card to accept a new job; instead you can show a DL combined with an SS card that doesn't have the employment restriction. That's another benefit of getting an updated SS card.

Of course, without having a valid physical green card you would be violating the rule about carrying your card everywhere, but that's another matter.

Thanks for the clarification..Guess I never bothered getting the condition removed from when I got my GC.
So does that means someone could be out of status after their GC expires and still work until the system somehow finds out that your GC has expired?

So does that means someone could be out of status after their GC expires and still work until the system somehow finds out that your GC has expired?
You don't become out of status when your GC expires. Similarly, you don't lose your citizenship when your passport expires.

Well sorry to say your attempt at humor fell flat as I received my GC through employment as well.;)

Why do you think that was "attempt at humor" ? I was serious, saying that green card gives you right not to work.

GC is kind of authorization not to work and not to be deported.