Second interview

uromed

Registered Users (C)
I had my first naturalization interview in late April, which was based on 3-year marriage. We were married in 2006 and have two children now. I just moved about three months before filing N-400 and did not get new driver's license of my residence state. During the interview, I was questioned by the officer why I did not obtain the new driver's license. Also, I was wrong about my moving date I put on N-400 and our marriage date. (Dec 2nd in stead of 3rd.) Out of panic, I did not answer carefully/correctly about some questions about my spouse. Now I am scheduled for second interview with my wife and all document of marital union. What are we expected to face during our second interview. Anybody has some advice for me? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gather as much evidence of marital union possible including tax transcripts, utility bills, joint bank accounts, etc...

So what are we expecting to be asked in our second interview? Will it be like fraudulent marriage interview?

Expect to be asked how long you have been together, where you both have lived, have you ever been apart, do you have marriage troubles etb..basically anything to do with your marital union that demonstrates you have been living together.

So what are we expecting to be asked in our second interview? Will it be like fraudulent marriage interview?

You can expect some or many hostile questions, but the more important thing for you is to keep a cool head. It seems the last interview problems were caused by you being nervous, the same thing again, and you will be in trouble. All they want to validate is the genuineness of your marriage. If it is indeed genuine, why are you worried? Having a cool head will do more for your 2nd interview than all the documents (they are also needed though).

thank you for your advice. I am now concerned about perjury because I have signed the application last time and now that I know some of the information about my spouse I gave them was not true. Will this be considered perjury? Should I just withdraw before the second interview? Or should I still have a chance by telling them that I am just too nervous? This is kind of urgent because the interview is two days away! Help!

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you for your advice. I am now concerned about perjury because I have signed the application last time and now that I know some of the information about my spouse I gave them was not true. Will this be considered perjury?

Information on the application wasn't true? Or what you said in the interview?

If it's some minor detail in the interview that could reasonably be forgotten or misspoken in the tension of an interview situation, they're not going to view that as perjury.

But if it's something you wrote (or didn't write) on your application, and it's of material significance and you failed to correct it at the interview, that could be serious.

For the second interview, if they ask you something about your wife and you don't know, say that you don't know. Don't try to make up something.

I finally figured out why I made some mistakes last time. Well, they are not mistakes, they are actually miscommunication between me and the officer. They are about my wife's job, cell phone number, and moving date. Will something like this be considered serious?

depends on how far off you were ... everyone can slip up on something, and without knowing the details, or the reason behind the gaffe, it is hard to say.

i do not expect many people to know wife's cell number as we never dial numbers nowadays, we just store them once and forget.

moving date ... date can be wrong, month can probably be wrong, if the year is wrong, i think there is an issue.

i do not know how you can mis-communicate these, unless you either forgot or did not know.

I finally figured out why I made some mistakes last time. Well, they are not mistakes, they are actually miscommunication between me and the officer. They are about my wife's job, cell phone number, and moving date. Will something like this be considered serious?

You provided the wrong information or omitted it completely?

For the moving date, I felt confused how to answer it because I went abroad immediately after my move from East Coast to West Coast in November last year. My wife joined me abroad and stayed with me before we came back together in April. I actually brought some of her stuff back in March. While I was thinking how I should answer this question, I felt I paused for too long and just blundered out "March".

I also tried to say my wife was working ON transferring her job from East Coast to West Coast. I did not mean she was working at that time, but I guess the officer just put the note as "she is working".

For the telephone number, I put one of our two numbers which happened to be the one we disconnected because we tried to save our spending while we were away for a couple of months. I updated this information during last interview.

Anything above could make myself in trouble?

For the moving date, I felt confused how to answer it because I went abroad immediately after my move from East Coast to West Coast in November last year. My wife joined me abroad and stayed with me before we came back together in April. I actually brought some of her stuff back in March.

That's how you should have explained the situation. When the answer is complex and it's not easy to give a one-word answer, explain yourself and let them decide how to interpret it.

Of course, you also have to be careful not to volunteer too much information that invites harassing questions.

Well, I would think that the two children together would be good enough proof of bona fide marriage. I assume you appear as their father in the birth certificates.

Well, I would think that the two children together would be good enough proof of bona fide marriage. I assume you appear as their father in the birth certificates.

The children would be solid proof that the marriage was entered for bona fide reasons, but for naturalization with the 3-year rule it is necessary to show that the marriage is still intact enough to meet the "living in marital union" criteria. Children born a year or two ago don't mean much about the current state of the marriage.

I am of course the father in the birth certificates. I would say the officer is suspecting our marriage seem to fall apart because I did not seem able to give them my wife's information. We are still husband and wife and have no intent to break up. But as I have just said, I believe there was a misunderstanding during last interview. Would this misunderstanding be considered serious?

You haven't been denied, you've been given a second interview. Just explain things clearly at the interview and you'll be fine.

I think you will be fine, go with your wife as they asked you and I am pretty sure everything will work out well.

For the moving date, I felt confused how to answer it...

Did you file Form AR-11? If so the date you provide at the interview should match the date you previously reported on Form AR-11.

From what you've said I'm not sure the USCIS' concern is about the validity of the marriage. They may be concerned that you didn't live at least 90 days at your new address before filing Form N-400.