• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Scandinavian calling! I-134 Questions ...And Happy Easter!!

SnowAngely

Hello all future fellow Americanos!

I've been lurking around the forum for a while getting much more educated I must say. Thought it was time to introduce myself. So here I am!

On to my question, might be a silly obvious one, but here goes.
The Affidavit of Support I-134:
I've read that the sponsor need to have an income 125% above the poverty guideline, but what amount of income would this technically translate into sponsoring One person?

I also read that the sponsor should have $20.000 (=$10.000 x 2 people) meaning current Savings or are they also here looking at a certain amount of income annually/per month? Need I say Math is not my strength :)! I simply want to be adamant that I'd be asking the right sponsor the right questions making sure that the person is up to par, so that I can feel 100% secure in providing an I-134 at my interview. Can't wait to get my Case Number! (Yes! Let's stay positive people. We will make it)!

By the way, are there any Scandinavians on here?

Thank you in advance!
Looking forward to reading Your comments.

Oh, and Happy Easter to You all.

Hello all future fellow Americanos!

I've been lurking around the forum for a while getting much more educated I must say. Thought it was time to introduce myself. So here I am!

On to my question, might be a silly obvious one, but here goes.
The Affidavit of Support I-134:
I've read that the sponsor need to have an income 125% above the poverty guideline, but what amount of income would this technically translate into sponsoring One person?

I also read that the sponsor should have $20.000 (=$10.000 x 2 people) meaning current Savings or are they also here looking at a certain amount of income annually/per month? Need I say Math is not my strength :)! I simply want to be adamant that I'd be asking the right sponsor the right questions making sure that the person is up to par, so that I can feel 100% secure in providing an I-134 at my interview. Can't wait to get my Case Number! (Yes! Let's stay positive people. We will make it)!

By the way, are there any Scandinavians on here?

Thank you in advance!
Looking forward to reading Your comments.

Oh, and Happy Easter to You all.

The I-134 assesses the income of the sponsor. Savings are treated differently - income is much more important. The 125% is debatable. That is certainly the standard for the I-864 (non DV cases) but it is not supposed to be the standard for the I-134. However, there is at least one embassy (Albania) that applies the 125% level.

The actual dollar amounts of income for the sponsor is at the link below. Note that you are one person but the calculation is the sponsors family and yours all combined. So - if the sponsor has a spouse and one child they are counted as 3 plus you - 4. That means they need 24,250 income at 100% or 30,312 at 125%.

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf

If you are able to get some savings I-134 might not be compulsory (it wasn't for me on DV-2014 case), my interview was conducted in London and 30K$ of
savings was enough for my family of 5.
Saying that consular officer was more interested in our plan of settling in US, if you speak the language, have family, friends or an employment plan
(job offer might be ideal) that should be more than adequate. They might be more strict in enforcing the rules if they think that applicant would
really need some back up money at the start. They are there to help us not the opposite, after all.

Good Luck!

For my gamily and I (4) , 25000$ on my saving acount, were more than enough to pass the interview without the I135.
Johannesburg consulate.

What a lovely welcoming! Thank You for all your informative responses.

@Britsimon
You sir are an outstanding educator! It's been interesting reading Your blog as well as your comments on here, after being an undercover student of yours for quite some time I feel humbled that you took the time out of your day to answer my question. Thanks!

@NewBetterBonio
@vladek15425
BIG CONGRATULATIONS to the both of You and your Families on the dv-win! I truly hope Your new start in the land of opportunities has been wonderful! I really appreciate hearing how you went about it, it was reassuring that they also approve mainly on bank statements, hopefully the Consulate in Stockholm will be the same (squeezing thumbs and big toes for a low CN on May 5).

Being solo, I'm contemplating whether my savings would be enough for them though and if it would be a huge gamble not having an I-134 (have approx $7000). As previously mentioned, read savings needs to be $10.000, not willing to chance it I'm hoping to provide all three things, being bank statement, I-134 and job offer. Although speaking of the last..

Would most definitely jump on the hussle of obtaining a job offer after receiving the CN, however, I feel it might be premature still since not many company's I know of would consider hiring before verifying official eligibility to work in the U.S, stamped and approved, would you agree?
Any ideas/pointers as to convincing an employer of providing a written job offer Before getting the actual work permit/GC?

What a lovely welcoming! Thank You for all your informative responses.

@Britsimon
You sir are an outstanding educator! It's been interesting reading Your blog as well as your comments on here, after being an undercover student of yours for quite some time I feel humbled that you took the time out of your day to answer my question. Thanks!

@NewBetterBonio
@vladek15425
BIG CONGRATULATIONS to the both of You and your Families on the dv-win! I truly hope Your new start in the land of opportunities has been wonderful! I really appreciate hearing how you went about it, it was reassuring that they also approve mainly on bank statements, hopefully the Consulate in Stockholm will be the same (squeezing thumbs and big toes for a low CN on May 5).

Being solo, I'm contemplating whether my savings would be enough for them though and if it would be a huge gamble not having an I-134 (have approx $7000). As previously mentioned, read savings needs to be $10.000, not willing to chance it I'm hoping to provide all three things, being bank statement, I-134 and job offer. Although speaking of the last..

Would most definitely jump on the hussle of obtaining a job offer after receiving the CN, however, I feel it might be premature still since not many company's I know of would consider hiring before verifying official eligibility to work in the U.S, stamped and approved, would you agree?
Any ideas/pointers as to convincing an employer of providing a written job offer Before getting the actual work permit/GC?

Thank you for your kind words.

If you have connections with a US company, or exceptional skills in demand over here, you might be able to get a job offer here. However that is generally unlikely for most people....

SnowAngely, you could always top up your savings a little bit by using cash borrowed from friends, family or shifting money from credit card to
current account, that should work perfectly if you would just put some missing bits needed to fulfil the quota even shortly before the interview
(not all of it, though, by going from zero to thousands, as that might be suspicious ).

Again, getting job offer prior interview is unlikely, however documenting your skills / experience and bringing some relevant job offers (you could
get that easily on Monster or other job portals) along for the interview would help in my opinion.

If you have anyone in States who could help you out in the beginning right after arrival that would also definitely work in your favour, just bring
those people details along with you.