• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Sad news about the CEAC data

I'm surprised it actually took them this long to introduce that.

Yeah - although their site says the data is public, and their policy should only restrict access where personal information is available. So - they have locked up the anonymous data, whilst the DS260 data is still wide open!!

Yeah - although their site says the data is public, and their policy should only restrict access where personal information is available. So - they have locked up the anonymous data, whilst the DS260 data is still wide open!!

Hmm hmm, talk about government bureaucracy :eek:

Regarding the claim about the CEAC data being public, I don't think they intended the public access to be for all the 3rd party (or how many other parties out there) data mining that's been going on for a couple of years. I knew it was bound to draw attention - just surprised it took so long.

Hmm hmm, talk about government bureaucracy :eek:

Regarding the claim about the CEAC data being public, I don't think they intended the public access to be for all the 3rd party (or how many other parties out there) data mining that's been going on for a couple of years. I knew it was bound to draw attention - just surprised it took so long.

The accepted standard is that if you don't lock it up - you expect people to consume the data any way they like. However, if lots of people were hitting the system with robots and running too often - they might have seen that as an abuse of the resource.

Their copyright statement is this:

Copyright
Links to Department sites are welcomed. Unless a copyright is indicated, information on the Department of State Web Site is in the public domain and may be copied and distributed without permission. Citation of the U.S. State Department as source of the information is appreciated.

I'm not sure how to respond after reading your article... So It's time to guess huh

some sad news right there