• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Returing back to my home country after getting Green Card

AldoBlack

Hello everyone,

I hope everything is going well to all of you.
I have one question. I came in USA in September. It's been 4 months here. Everything is going ok but I was thinking going back to my home country to stay some time there. Let's say, I will wait for my wife or parents to prepare the documents.
As far as I read on internet I have to return to US every 6 months to maintain the permanent residency. When I come to US every 6 months, how long do I have to stay in US and go back to my country?
And can I work in my home country?

Thank You!

As far as I read on internet I have to return to US every 6 months to maintain the permanent residency. When I come to US every 6 months, how long do I have to stay in US and go back to my country?

Hey Aldo,

After all these struggles with you to get your green card...please don't endanger it. If you try to do as you suggest, which is basically live and work in your country and visit the US every six months, you will lose the green card at some stage. It may work one or two times then they will start asking questions. And then they will refer you to an immigration judge to show that you haven't abandoned residency. And if you can't, you lose your green card. Read up about maintaining your green card and being deemed to have abandoned residency. It's not just time out the country, you have to be able to show you actually live here more than you don't.

Hello everyone,

I hope everything is going well to all of you.
I have one question. I came in USA in September. It's been 4 months here. Everything is going ok but I was thinking going back to my home country to stay some time there. Let's say, I will wait for my wife or parents to prepare the documents.

Thank You!
SusieQQQ is exactly right in her response. One question: what do you mean with "I will wait for my wife or parents to prepare the documents". Your wife did not receive a DV Green Card together with you? What documents are you referring to?

I totally echo Susie's response above. It would be such a shame to loose your GC @AldoBlack after everything you went through to obtain it.

Having a US permanent residency means one is living and working permanently in the US. The GC is not a super visa for coming into the US once in 6 months for a couple of days and then returning to life back in one's home country.

If you really want to stay out for an extended period, get a re-entry permit. That'll give you up to two years. It's expensive, but worth it. Also, if you can, get a US driving licence/ID card, open a bank account, etc.