• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Residence Permit

SophieSomeone

Hello everyone,

Due to current situations in Turkey, we are living in Balkans for like 7 months now, with my husband. Now we've learned that my husband is selected for DV. We'd applied for the lottery from here. The thing I want to ask is, we still don't have residence permit here. Do you think this will be a problem/a reason to disqualify? Any help will be much appreciated.

thanks for your answer. The thing is this country is visa-free for 3 months in 6. We've been to close countries which has the same policy for visa not to overstay here. but still, waiting for the dv interview, months will pass and we may fall into illegally staying category. would this a big problem for US officials, or do you advise us to solve residence permit issue somehow meanwhile?

Of course you should look into solving the residency permit issue if you can before your interview.

Hello everyone,

Due to current situations in Turkey, we are living in Balkans for like 7 months now, with my husband. Now we've learned that my husband is selected for DV. We'd applied for the lottery from here. The thing I want to ask is, we still don't have residence permit here. Do you think this will be a problem/a reason to disqualify? Any help will be much appreciated.

@SophieSomeone Was your husband born in Turkey? (or another country that is eligible for the lottery)? Eligibility is based on birth not current residence.

Of course you should look into solving the residency permit issue if you can before your interview.
We are trying to solve it already but having problems due to latest situations in Turkey.
There's the question of current and previous residences and regarding date intervals in DS-260 form. when writing about here, should we indicate the date we arrived here, or if we get the permit, the official date?
My husband is a journalist and we are law abiding people for our entire lives. Not ever want to be misunderstood by the officials, should we be clear as much as possible given the chaos and discrimination Turkey's going through, or should we try to get official documents like a late permit no matter what?

We are trying to solve it already but having problems due to latest situations in Turkey.
There's the question of current and previous residences and regarding date intervals in DS-260 form. when writing about here, should we indicate the date we arrived here, or if we get the permit, the official date?
My husband is a journalist and we are law abiding people for our entire lives. Not ever want to be misunderstood by the officials, should we be clear as much as possible given the chaos and discrimination Turkey's going through, or should we try to get official documents like a late permit no matter what?

The information you put down on the DS form must be accurate and correct - so make sure you put the actual date of arrival regardless.

My apologies @Sm1smom best these things are left to the experienced folk like yourself.

We definitely want other forum members outside of us "experts" :rolleyes: to respond to the questions that are being posted - it lightens the load for us. We just want people to give the right/appropriate response to the questions being asked.