• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Request For Less Than Full-Time Enrollment and DV2015

spins008

Hello, I am going to take my last semester at university and I am planning to take only 1-2 courses which is enough to complete my program. But since I am an international student I have to take at least 3 courses for full-time enrollment. I can file the Request for Less Than Full-Time Enrollment to take only 1 or 2 courses but recently I have applied for Adjustment of Status through the DV2015 and I am curious if my Less than full-time employment can affect Adjustment of Status process.

Thank you!

Hello, I am going to take my last semester at university and I am planning to take only 1-2 courses which is enough to complete my program. But since I am an international student I have to take at least 3 courses for full-time enrollment. I can file the Request for Less Than Full-Time Enrollment to take only 1 or 2 courses but recently I have applied for Adjustment of Status through the DV2015 and I am curious if my Less than full-time employment can affect Adjustment of Status process.

Thank you!
Presumably your key objective is to maintain your F-1/J-1 NIV status until your AOS application has been granted and status officially changed to IV? If so, minimum course load is 9 credits/semester if you are a graduate student, 12 credits/semester if you are an undergraduate. If your university would report in SEVIS less than minimum course loads, you would be out of status and obligated to leave the US. Hope this information is of help. Good luck!

Thank you!

I second @EURO2014's response, that wouldn't be a wise move. You stand a better chance of having your AOS application approved by maintaining a full time status at the time of your interview.

I second @EURO2014's response, that wouldn't be a wise move. You stand a better chance of having your AOS application approved by maintaining a full time status at the time of your interview.

Thank you! Is full-time Status really better even though I would have valid I-20 for Less than full-time enrollment by the time of interview ?

Thank you! Is full-time Status really better even though I would have valid I-20 for Less than full-time enrollment by the time of interview ?

We wouldn't have suggested it if we didn't think it was better, but it's your call. IO's have been know to request current registration documents/confirmation at the time of the interview. If part of your reason for wanting to get the waiver is to cut down on cost, don't you think getting a stress-free GC approval would be worth it?

you should talk to the international student office at your university to verify that your request to enroll only the needed credits in your last/graduating semester is considered a full-time status. at my university, students are allowed to take less than full-time status requirement in the graduating semester and it is considered that they maintain their full-time status and they will not be reported into their SEVIS records. if you plan to enroll only what you need, you can ask for a letter from the international student office saying that you have maintained your full-time status even though you take less than the requirement in your last semester! if you can secure the letter from the office, i think that can be used as a proof of your full-time status. but just like mom said, it's your call. good luck.

We wouldn't have suggested it if we didn't think it was better, but it's your call. IO's have been know to request current registration documents/confirmation at the time of the interview. If part of your reason for wanting to get the waiver is to cut down on cost, don't you think getting a stress-free GC approval would be worth it?

Thank you for your advice! You are right, there is no reason to drop courses and save money if I am waiting to get the GC.

I have another small question. Today I was in USCIS office for fingerprints. The only issue I had is that in the form I indicated the color of my eyes as grey but the worker said that my eyes are blue, but I think it`s not a problem, right?