1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Rajiv hosts a free community conference call every other Thursday at 12:30 p.m, EST. You can post your questions in the conference call forum and dial into the call at (202)800-8394.

Recent LPR with an Unusual Question Concerning Travel

Discussion in 'Family Based Green Card -Through Marriage/Relative' started by dzd, Apr 3, 2012.

1. dzd

dzd New Member

If this is the wrong forum/subforum to post this question in, I apologize in advance.

Here is my story.

I came to the US when I was 5. I'm 26 now and only recently became a LPR. I have a question regarding the risk in traveling to my country of birth considering I am still bound by the legal age of conscription in my country (Russia).

I am a College graduate, a somewhat successful entrepreneur and a backgammon champion :) It would be a shame to lose all that since it's all so dependent on my being here.

I haven't seen my relatives in close to 20 years... it would be nice if I didn't have to wait any longer and I could simply fly down and see them. I have only one grandparent left, and outside of my parents, no family here.

So that's my question. Am I free to go there? Or would they stop me as soon as I cross the border and force me into the army?

And to make things even more complicated, I plan on traveling on a RP (reentry permit). I don't have a NP (national passport) - I don't think I ever did. I'm also somewhat reluctant to make one. Is Russia one of the territories that would accept that in lieu of a passport? I think I read somewhere, yes.

And finally, do I need a Visa to travel to Russia? Considering that my RP will say 'Russia' as my country of birth/citizenship?
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2012
  2. TheRealCanadian

TheRealCanadian Volunteer Moderator

If Russia considers you a citizen subject to conscription, then yes - there is a risk.
  3. Jackolantern

Jackolantern Registered Users (C)

You should arrange to meet your relatives in a third country, maybe somewhere nearby in Europe. Otherwise you risk being arrested if you enter Russia, or they may block you from leaving there.

I don't know about Russia's policies specifically, but I don't think there is any country that would accept a reentry permit in lieu of a passport for one of their own citizens. At least not without some interrogation about why you're not carrying their passport.
  4. kostyan

kostyan Registered Users (C)

Meet your relatives in a neighbor country like Ukraine (as far as I know both Russian and American citizens do not need a visa to get there).
    And you can get more details at the Russian forum http://forum.privet.com/viewforum.php?f=1